•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:New Puritan's thinking is like this Progress=bad, therefore what Benn said was patronising. One of the reasons I blocked the armchair marxist in the first place.
Thought as much but good to have confirmation. The funny thing is I've generally been civil and tried to keep it political whenever I've attempted debating with this guy but he just seems unwilling/incapable of engaging with opposing viewpoints. If he ever tries to give it the big one about left-wing echo chambers, can someone he hasn't blocked pull him up on it? Cheers.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
It was trite, superficial and glib. As if millions of workers haven't been continually trying to acquire new skills and qualifications for 30 years. Merely retooling the workforce doesn't do anything to reverse the proliferation of low-paid and precarious employment - for one thing, 22% of UK jobs only require primary-level education compared to 5% in Germany. It's symptomatic of the Labour right approach to everything, though. Just find the right technocratic fix - a tweak here and a fiddle there and everything will sort itself out, so you don't need to bother bringing about any serious shift of wealth and power.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Looks like Lord Sainsbury is pulling out of UK politics and taking his money with him. This leaves Progress in a sticky situation

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm unconvinced they have the appeal to rely on mass member donations like Momentum does.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Somehow I think they will survive and unlike you wino they aren't armchair members.
I'm sure lord sainsbury was regularly doorstepping to deliver leaflets. :roll: You a member?
youngian wrote:Its essentially a think tank for wonks it doesn't need much funds to run it.
tru tru, but less money = less staff/research/whatever = less power and influence

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
I'm sure lord sainsbury was regularly doorstepping to deliver leaflets. :roll: You a member?
No however their website contains a number of interesting articles, which is is more than I get from left futures. For all your venom they actually invited the likes of Thornberry, Abbott and even Paul Mason to their conference. As Peter Edwards points out love them or loathe them there here to stay.

http://labourlist.org/2017/06/love-them ... ing-shock/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With just five staff Progress has produced nine magazines a year, 15 party conference fringes, 20 events outside London as well as the organisation’s own conference and its political weekend.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/academy/

We are looking to raise £35,000 to make this happen and ensure it is a national push – not just something that takes place in London. If every Progress member gave £10 each we would have this covered in one go!

Are they suggesting they have 3'500 members? Holy fucking lol it turns out centrism was just wealthy technocrats all along. who would've thought it!?
Labour, Generally.

I'd guess that if any Tories are scared of - or pe[…]

The Trump Presidency

From looking at the AG's summary, it has the feel[…]

Via above link. Live breakdown by constituency. […]

The Independent Group

‘Our’ ability? Corbyn did nothing in […]