Topics about the Labour Party
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The problem is that the media love to pigeonhole. So Kinnock got his 'Welsh Windbag, lost two elections, Sheffield rally' tag. Likewise John Prescott, mocked for his figure and syntax (and his roots), ignoring that he was/is by all accounts a very good consensus builder and committee man. And as said on his own thread, Ed Miliband is getting it as well. He's been given the geek tag, and whenever he does something really impressive, the reaction in the media is "Oh bless, he's trying so hard!".

By davidjay
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:The problem is that the media love to pigeonhole. So Kinnock got his 'Welsh Windbag, lost two elections, Sheffield rally' tag. Likewise John Prescott, mocked for his figure and syntax (and his roots), ignoring that he was/is by all accounts a very good consensus builder and committee man. And as said on his own thread, Ed Miliband is getting it as well. He's been given the geek tag, and whenever he does something really impressive, the reaction in the media is "Oh bless, he's trying so hard!".
Strange, ain't it - Labour get criticised for having leaders without a grounding in the 'real world' yet when they come from a genuine working background they're attacked for being proles.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I caught some of this in the car today. He is more thoughtful than I remembered him, either he or I have mellowed. IMO New Labour owed everything to him I reckon, he fought the radicals in his party and helped make Labour electable in 1997.
Lord Kinnock

In this series, Peter Hennessy, the leading historian of modern Britain, asks senior politicians to reflect on their life and times. In each week's conversation, he invites his guest to explore what influenced their thinking and motivated them to enter politics, their experience of events and impressions of people they knew, and their concerns for the future.
Peter's guest in this week's programme is Lord Kinnock

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037jfmg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Not that he's been dealt the best hand to make a comment from
Former health secretary Andrew Lansley and ex-Tory leader Lord Howard are among those said to be in the running.
Clegg should be Cameron's obvious choice as he knows his way around Brussels and should reward him for his services to the Tory Party, especially as he's likely to lose his seat. Just shows how powerful the SELs are in the Tory Party centre of gravity.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Clegg is a laughing stock. Don't think Cameron could appoint him. it would be worse than appointing Mandelson was.

Howard would probably be OK. He wasn't taken in by Boris Johnson, I'll say that for him. And I got a bit of respect for him putting work in with no chance of returning to government. He's covered a few briefs competently. Very unpleasant 2005 campaign though.

It shows who stupid things have got. John Major appointed Neil Kinnock, with little controversy. Nowadays anyone not on the Right of the Conservative Party would cause uproar.

Wonder if they could go for some maverick business type?
Labour, Generally.

Indeed, Corbyn and co did their best to undermine,[…]

UKIP

Farage is a "person of interest". And in[…]

UK's aspirations for post-Brexit trade deal an […]

Sad Faces in Local Papers

He's from Stoke, no? "Bloke from Brexit Cent[…]