•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Over the last few weeks people from Len McCluskey to Mary Creagh have been saying that Alan Johnson should be bought back to help Labour in the election. Whilst I can see the merits of bringing him back the question I want to ask this do people here think he should be bought back?
Bought back? I didn't know he'd been sold off.

He's a decent enough bloke, just too Blairite for the present party. Outside of frothing-at-the-gash 'Old Labour' people who hate anything Blair I doubt the electorate would take against him. Remember he's one of the few politicians who can lay claim to real working-class roots, and that may give him 'traction'.
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Bought back? I didn't know he'd been sold off.

He's a decent enough bloke, just too Blairite for the present party. Outside of frothing-at-the-gash 'Old Labour' people who hate anything Blair I doubt the electorate would take against him. Remember he's one of the few politicians who can lay claim to real working-class roots, and that may give him 'traction'.
His claim to real working class roots would work in my opinion also my opinion of him has gone up since reading his memoir

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
On broadcast media, he was close to matchless and, whilst times have moved on and Labour have certainly sharpened up their act, I don't doubt that he could do a real job on national and local radio, and resonate especially with C1C2 undecideds.

He's a logical, bright and articulate pragmatist and would destroy the Faragistas with their "man of the people" horseshit.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I think it could be worth a punt. I'm still meeting the odd spanner on the doorsteps that thinks that Labour would be home and dry if only they'd elected that nice David Miliband as their leader.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
At least the Davidians (yeah, sorry) have an opinion and are 99% pulling in the right direction.

The more I think about this, the more I think that Johnson could be the perfect foil to all the weirdo, Jew boy smearing that will doubtless characterise Cameron Custer's desperate last stand in ten months' time.
I think, if Ed has any sense that this is a real rebellion rather than some manufactured deflection hysteria, he'd be man enough to ask Johnson himself as he'd be able to see the benefits of a genuine (former) working man as leader of the opposition against Cameron*. And Farage would be out-Faraged (in the sense of who he pretends to be) so his one-trick pony would be put out to pasture.

*Which ironically would be precisely the sort of leadership and qualities that would make him an excellent leader in his own right.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Unless Alan Johnson is the world's slowest political plotter, how many times does he have to say he is a lieutenant and not leadership material. It might just be his Blairite views that have given Tory press steam to this phantom leadership bid.

Even if ordinary bloke Alan did suddenly become leader the mud slinging would then deflected to useless Ed Balls who along with Brown was entirely responsible for the crisis in Western finance.

As for a post in the shadow cabinet is there any indication that he wants one?, he hasn't even shown any interest in the London Mayoral candidature which doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.
Jeremy Corbyn.

Children, only Chinese acrobats and western morons[…]

UKIP

To be fair, Corbynites probably also regard them a[…]

The Times

Brainy Brits come out for Brexit Let me guess[…]

Higher Education

Another disastrous idea in the offing: May warns[…]