Topics about the Labour Party
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
#428443
D.C. Harrison wrote:
bluebellnutter wrote:I only hope if (when) things do start going wrong for Corbyn those same people grasp the nettle and swallow their pride, but I fear that may be too much to ask. It seems too much like a religion for people to think practically and objectively about.

"What, Corbyn is tanking in the polls? Well the pollsters are all Tories anyway, Corbyn must be doing well because all my friends say they like him."
Equally so, will others rally round or stand back and crow "told you so"?

It works both ways, that game.
Much as it may surprise you, I absolutely agree. Pull together, but if it is clearly going wrong be prepared to pull the other way just as hard.
#428445
Daley Mayle wrote:I'm just a bit worried that if JC wins the leadership outright what mikey mikey will do with all that free time he'll now have.
I expect he'll be out on the pavement doing voter ID, delivering leaflets and running street stalls.
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#428446
bluebellnutter wrote:I only hope if (when) things do start going wrong for Corbyn those same people grasp the nettle and swallow their pride, but I fear that may be too much to ask. It seems too much like a religion for people to think practically and objectively about.

"What, Corbyn is tanking in the polls? Well the pollsters are all Tories anyway, Corbyn must be doing well because all my friends say they like him."
You're making an assumption his support base is made up of fundamentalist Trots. If he messes up he goes.
#428447
That's not what the Corbyn fanatics amongst my members are telling me. A local CLP has Corbynites who are planning a takeover - they won't manage it as they've never been effective before and won't be now. I'm being told that if I don't support Corbyn someone will stand against me. It's all pretty ugly.
#428449
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Daley Mayle wrote:I'm just a bit worried that if JC wins the leadership outright what mikey mikey will do with all that free time he'll now have.
I expect he'll be out on the pavement doing voter ID, delivering leaflets and running street stalls.
Yeah there are a lot of marginal seats we need to win in Italy.
#428453
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:That's not what the Corbyn fanatics amongst my members are telling me. A local CLP has Corbynites who are planning a takeover - they won't manage it as they've never been effective before and won't be now. I'm being told that if I don't support Corbyn someone will stand against me. It's all pretty ugly.
I would like to hope that that is all bluster but the mood in the Caledonian wastes doesn't bode well with the winners crowing and believing that they have a sweeping mandate to do as they will.

Disunity per se doesn't preclude Labour from returning to office - look at the tories - but the party will be a damned sight more effective it is pulling together.

That might sound a little simplistic, naive even, but today is when the really hard work begins.
#428455
youngian wrote:Delighted for Tom. The high calibre of the deputy leadership contenders bodes well for the future.
It's a bit worrying though that they all wanted to be Deputy Leader and not the actual Leader though, isn't it?
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#428461
bluebellnutter wrote:
youngian wrote:Delighted for Tom. The high calibre of the deputy leadership contenders bodes well for the future.
It's a bit worrying though that they all wanted to be Deputy Leader and not the actual Leader though, isn't it?
Its more of a manager's job than a leader's. Unlike Burnham and Cooper the candidates knew their limitations.
Last edited by youngian on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#428469
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Dear Unite

Please get a different general secretary one who isn't a complete pillock

Yours LJB

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know that's an attempt at satire and that McCluskey hasn't actually said any of that, right?
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#428507
new puritan wrote:
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Dear Unite

Please get a different general secretary one who isn't a complete pillock

Yours LJB

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know that's an attempt at satire and that McCluskey hasn't actually said any of that, right?
But Corbyn does ride his bike in a completely different way to Cameron. That's why he strikes a chord.
  • 1
  • 168
  • 169
  • 170
  • 171
  • 172
Jeremy Corbyn.

Try and come up with a more original response.

UKIP

To be fair, Corbynites probably also regard them a[…]

The Times

Brainy Brits come out for Brexit Let me guess[…]

Higher Education

Another disastrous idea in the offing: May warns[…]