Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 69.3 % :thumbsup: 4 % 😯 0.5 % :grinning: 16.6 % 🧥 2 % 🙏 1 % 😟 2.5 % :cry: 2.5 % :shit: 1.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
They have a point that sticking a deal the Commons has rejected into a referendum is a problem.

Not exactly moving towards Remain though, are they? And I guess we've a spell of nonsense ahead of us where they call for a General Election without telling us the Brexit policy.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:30 pm
They have a point that sticking a deal the Commons has rejected into a referendum is a problem.
If they'd been actually making an effort to remain all along, I'd be willing to grant them the benefit of the doubt on this. However, given what's actually happening I can just imagine Milne gleefully striking out 'referendum' from documents left, right and centre and chuckling away to himself how he and Jezza fooled everyone again into thinking they'd do what they said they would as opposed to whatever they bloody want.
Abernathy, oboogie liked this

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:30 pm
I really don't think so. Though the May deal has been twice rejected by parliament, it has the undeniable advantage of being in existence, and of being available. It is, as May herself, and Barnier, and Juncker, and Varadker, and Uncle Tom Cobleigh and all (though not, frustratedly, Uncle Jez Corbyn) keep pointing out, in fact the *only* such deal, and May clearly intends to keep trying to get it accepted. The same cannot be said for Corbyn's phantom alternative deal.

As such, it would, I think, be quite appropriate for it to go forward in the terms of the Kyle/Wilson amendment as the sole alternative to remaining in the EU - giving the country a real opportunity to step back from the madness, galvanising support for Labour in the country (while also playing to Corbyn's alleged strength of hitting the campaign trail), and satisfying the vast majority of Labour party members.

I don't know why Corbyn cannot - or more likely wilfully *will* not, recognise this.

This is incredibly frustrating. It's bleeding obvious - why can't Labour's leader see this ? Surely it can only lead to more defections.
Last edited by Abernathy on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:15 am
...giving the country a real opportunity to step back from the madness, galvanising support for Labour in the country (while also playing to Corbyn's alleged strength of hitting the campaign trail)...
Though of course bear in mind his ability and enthusiasm as a campaigner strangely seems to evaporate as soon as it's something he has to support based on a team decision rather than something he chooses for himself.

If gifted another referendum, ould he dare throw it again with another tepid "Oh no, I support it really, honest" effort? I'd be willing to bet he's witless enough that he would.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Brexit: Jeremy Corbyn indicates he could vote leave in a new referendum on Britain's EU membership

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has indicated he could vote to leave the EU if there is another Brexit referendum.

Mr Corbyn said how he voted in any future referendum giving the British public a Final Say on Brexit, would depend on the withdrawal deal which is on offer at the time.

He gave a heavily caveated answer when asked if he is “enthusiastic” about the idea of a new referendum, and said that his party might back an amendment calling for one depending on its wording. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1552819399

The article is a bit flimsy but supposing Corbyn turned up in a referendum as May's main ally to work the same magic as he did with Cameron, whose loss is that? I'd like to see him explain his protectionist economic plans to Andrew Neil.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:30 pm
It's lovely to contemplate how the #JC4PM Cult will deal with Magic Grandpa wanting to spend more time with his marrows .

Could be like a re-staging of Pompeii.
Frankie Howerd for PM
The Mail vs Science!

Research conducted aboard the ISS often requires[…]

The Independent Group

Ok m8. Good chat.

Daniel Hannan

British MEP 'trending' over Irish history claims[…]

Moving those posts was more effort than it was pro[…]