Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 63.8 % ❤ 1.4 % :thumbsup: 4.3 % 😯 0.7 % :grinning: 20.7 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 1.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By visage
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:39 pm
Yeah. I mean the main argument against Scottish independence is that, as things stand, it'll make Scotland poorer. Makes no sense for Yessers not to announce and oil field which would help with that.

In other news, or non news, why isn't Jez or anyone else really going to town on getting Greg Clark to resign for saying he hadn't bribed Nissan? Even the anti-Jez media love this sort of thing, and it was both blatant and very central to the debate about Brexit.
Because casting doubt on brexit might make Brexit less likely. See also the whole Vote Leave legal shenanigans. Neither My nor Corbyn want to make a fuss.
By Silkyman
Membership Days Posts
So after years of holding up their ‘six tests’ as a flaming sword of justice and their ‘conference commitment to keep a second referendum on the table’ as their impervious shield of purity....

Both dropped in a letter to May, a handful of days before we crash out.

Fuck off Jeremy.
mattomac liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Chuka Umunna on Facebook:
This is not Opposition, it is the facilitation of a deal which will make this country poorer.

The idea that a PM who sponsored employment tribunal fees, supported weakening unfair dismissal protection and more besides will ensure “dynamic alignment on rights and protections” is utterly laughable. A complete joke. Surely we can do better than this nonsense.

A strong, coherent Labour alternative to this shabby, Tory Brexit is absent - it has been since this Parliament began. I hate to think what all those young voters who flocked to the party for the first time in 2017 will make of this. Vote Labour, get a Tory Brexit. They will feel they have been sold down the river.

Totally demoralising.
oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
These proposals look hopelessly cakey. But I'm interested that Matthew Pennycook has said explicitly that it's a referendum if the government doesn't meet these conditions. Slight pushback v Pennycook, but not much.

It's very late in the day, and could be entirely cynical. But might be meaningful.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
It is possibly also significant that Guy Verhofstadt has welcomed them for signalling "cross-party cooperation" while May has also said that Backstop means Backstop, meaning that she might just finally be standing up to the ERG and their flute band. A ground-up renegotiation without her old red lines is probably the best she can hope for at the moment. A way out, even.

That would all surely be grounds for extending A50.

Possibly, surely. I have long-since given up trying to make head or tail of this.

By Arrowhead
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:35 pm
I have long-since given up trying to make head or tail of this.
Same here. Trying gauge the reception to Corbyn’s letter today has left my brain utterly scrambled. The reactions seem to vary between the usual “FUCK YOU, CORBYN, FUCK YOU!!!” to “This is pretty good, actually. At long last, Labour have grown a pair.”

A good litmus test in these situations is to see what Ian Dunt (who is long-standing Corbyn critic when it comes to Brexit) makes of things - and he seemed to be reasonably enthusiastic, by his standards anyway.

Perhaps the fog is finally clearing?

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
I hope it’s all signs of mild sanity breaking out. I have to admit that I’m more inclined to believe that May and Corbyn have agreed to kick the can as far down the road as possible so we crash out. She will blame the EU and the ERG. Corbyn will blame the Tories. It will magically be no fault of the person who has had 2 years to negotiate, the people she sent to do it, or the man whose job it was to act as a check and balance on that person.

They then both hope to win the next election based seemingly on who the public loathes the least and which colour unicorn they would prefer to wish for but not receive.

Inspiring.
Timbo liked this

By Arrowhead
Christ almighty, Crabcakes. Just when I was daring to hope that an end to the madness was in sight.

How do you even summon up the enthusiasm to get out of bed in the morning, if everything and everyone is so fucked in your eyes? You’re not a fellow Villa fan, are you?

By Abernathy
Bewilderingly, my own MP Roger Godsiff, who despite his constituents having voted overwhelmingly to Remain, has been a long-time opponent of the EU and advocated Leave, has now decided to table an amendment to May's bill next week that would set up a three-way, AV based referendum enabling people to vote for Leave with the PM's deal, Leave with No Deal, or Remain in the EU and forget the Brexit crap altogether.

He took quite a bit of flak from constituents and members last week for breaking a 3 line whip to vote down Yvette Cooper's amendment to delay the A50 deadline, but I'm having trouble working out what the fucker is up to with this. He also voted to rule out leaving with No Deal, yet now apparently wants it as an option on a referendum ballot paper.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... e-15794926

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
I can't see 'no deal' ever ending up on the ballot. In his heart of hearts, even JRM is unlikely to really want that, and we already know how easy it is to herd the masses into something stupid with a few well-targeted ads on Facebook.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Wouldn't it be great if she stood up & said '[…]

Labour, Generally.

The fears are fuelled by the party’s worsen[…]

Boris Johnson

You know when you wake up on a cold grey wet Octob[…]

Peter Hitchens

I think I'm repeating a point somebody already mad[…]