Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 63.5 % ❤ 1.4 % :thumbsup: 4.3 % 😯 0.7 % :grinning: 20.9 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 1.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Are young army lads twats? Often, yes. Bad taste? Definitely (but see previous point). Is it likely to be some genuine threat to Corbyn/evidence of a massive armed forces conspiracy etc.? No.

Squaddies might be bell-ends, but any real threat to politicians is far more likely to come from the people who like to play army and pretend they're warriors than kids who actually sign up for the real thing.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:39 am
Are young army lads twats? Often, yes. Bad taste? Definitely (but see previous point). Is it likely to be some genuine threat to Corbyn/evidence of a massive armed forces conspiracy etc.? No.

Squaddies might be bell-ends, but any real threat to politicians is far more likely to come from the people who like to play army and pretend they're warriors than kids who actually sign up for the real thing.
Oh, and having delved into it a bit the video itself is fake. The issue is the former soldier who shared it thinking it was funny. He's obviously a prick, but the thing itself didn't happen.

By Oblomov
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:39 am

Even if it were real I wouldn't be too concerned unless a CO had ordered Corbyn's image onto the firing range, and even then I would want to keep following it up to see if direction had come from somewhere in central government. I imagine they view Corbyn as some soft-touch benign hippie who wants to close down the armed forces and thus their livelihood so I can understand antipathy towards him.

As you say, young men in the army being twats is de rigueur but doesn't mean they'll go Rambo once discharged back into civilian life and as far as I know, Thomas Mair and Jack Renshaw didn't have any military ties whatsoever.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Considering in recent years we've known that National Action have been infiltrating the British Army, a number of soldiers in gear posing for selfies with Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, and the murder in broad daylight of an elected member of parliament whose killer was motivated by political discourse going to pot for him to commit a terrorist attack, the thinking that such footage, assuming it hasn't been doctored or taken out of context, is just some naively led "lads" being dicks simply doesn't wash. It also gives, pardon the pun, ammunition to those who believe that many of the current MPs are "traitors" who are committing treason and deserve to be put to death, the idea that their wish to carry out such a "patriotic duty" would be supported by at least some elements of the army whom after the first shot is fired will suddenly rise to start a coup that bring in their wet dream proto-fascist UK.
davidjay, lord_kobel, Samanfur and 1 others liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Silkyman wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:48 pm
Rumours that he is selling us all down the river in his little meeting with May.

If the PLP vote through a cosy deal with May that's my vote gone. I've only ever not voted Labour for tactical reasons a couple of times since I was 18.
bluebellnutter, oboogie liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
spoonman wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:51 am
Considering in recent years we've known that National Action have been infiltrating the British Army, a number of soldiers in gear posing for selfies with Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, and the murder in broad daylight of an elected member of parliament whose killer was motivated by political discourse going to pot for him to commit a terrorist attack, the thinking that such footage, assuming it hasn't been doctored or taken out of context, is just some naively led "lads" being dicks simply doesn't wash. It also gives, pardon the pun, ammunition to those who believe that many of the current MPs are "traitors" who are committing treason and deserve to be put to death, the idea that their wish to carry out such a "patriotic duty" would be supported by at least some elements of the army whom after the first shot is fired will suddenly rise to start a coup that bring in their wet dream proto-fascist UK.
Fair point. But those types usually like their deniability too. They’ll hang out with arseholes, but not actually do stuff on camera. I’d still be more inclined to think it’s twattery unless more turns up.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Silkyman wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:48 pm
Rumours that he is selling us all down the river in his little meeting with May.
I'd be more surprised if he weren't.

Sounds like a longshot, sadly. Might not be a bad […]

Labour, Generally.

Doesn't bother me at all either. Nor, I suspect, w[…]

Daily Star front pages

They paint a picture of any life in showbiz being […]

On the Radio

Imagine if the Daily Mail had a Sounds app. Jeez c[…]