Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 63.6 % ❤ 1.5 % :thumbsup: 4.4 % 😯 0.7 % :grinning: 20.7 % 🧥 1.5 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 1.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Matthew d'Ancona on the money :

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... 1557127497
According to the Sunday Times, Theresa May’s plan is to offer Jeremy Corbyn a temporary customs arrangement with the EU – to be reviewed in 2022 – bolstered by selective alignment with single market regulations on goods, and a commitment to match all EU measures on workers’ rights. If this were to be agreed – a ghastly marriage of the old Tory “magic circle” and Labour “beer and sandwiches” – Corbyn would find himself in a quite extraordinary position. In practice, the supposed enemy of the establishment would have entered a national coalition with the Conservative party. After a lifetime of Tory-baiting, he would finally be hugging close the authors of austerity, “neoliberalism” and invitations to Donald Trump. From Che Guevara to Ramsay MacDonald in less than four years: is that really how Corbyn wants to be remembered?

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
lord_kobel wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:24 pm
I don't think he has the ability to even consider that. I don't think he can ever admit that he is wrong about anything.
It is not that he won't but that he can't. Indulge me for a moment and grant him that he is not a stupid man but simply not one either blessed with a towering intellect nor that self-assured mantle that his tribe so eagerly sign up to.

Imposter syndrome. He is in its grip. The buck of the down of rabbits that finds itself in the headlights and simply can't cope with the inevitable.

It's really quite tragic. (Apart from the bit where he puts the yids in the "them" column and, for that, there can be little sympathy.)

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:05 am
Cracking piece in The Observer by Nick Cohen:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... pagandists

lmao Nick Cohen is a fucking reptile apologist for Iraq and can fuck off. Likewise d'Ancona of DRUGSTORE_CULTURE fame (his online only centrist melt magazine which generated exactly zero enthusiasm from anyone. Like literally zero activity on twitter.)

There's a whole generation of middle aged suits who seem to think they still speak for someone, and yet when their ideas are put to the test they fail miserably. They wave the flag for Liz Kendals and Owen Smiths and don't really reflect on their inability to rouse popular support. True political philosophers would see this as an opportunity for introspection and consideration that actually they don't represent anyone anymore...that it's not that their politics has an image problem, but rather that their politics just doesn't answer the problems of today. But fuck nah, they'll just keep shitting out the same 3 articles for the Times/Guardian/Telegraph until blissful death.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Winegums wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:12 am
There's a whole generation of middle aged suits who seem to think they still speak for someone, and yet when their ideas are put to the test they fail miserably. They wave the flag for Liz Kendals and Owen Smiths and don't really reflect on their inability to rouse popular support. True political philosophers would see this as an opportunity for introspection and consideration that actually they don't represent anyone anymore...that it's not that their politics has an image problem, but rather that their politics just doesn't answer the problems of today. But fuck nah, they'll just keep shitting out the same 3 articles for the Times/Guardian/Telegraph until blissful death.
I don't agree with Cohen on a lot of things. But I do agree on the whole bully boy/gang mentality culture of the left, and his spot-on framing of Corbyn as a man of limited intellect and ability. Because there's also a whole generation of middle aged (and much older) suits and their apologists and hangers-on who think they know what's best for young people and who want to take us out of the EU despite the overwhelming desire of younger voters and those not eligible to vote yet to stay in. The supporters of one such old-age suit even boasted about how much he'd motivated young people, right before he sold them all out and they stopped chanting his name (and then it turned out it was more to do with centrist dads bailing him out with loaned anti-tory votes anyway).

True leaders would see this as an opportunity for introspection and consideration that actually they don't represent anyone anymore...that it's not that their politics has an image problem, but rather that their politics just doesn't answer the problems of today. But fuck nah, they'll just keep shitting out the same 3 speeches at rallies of the faithful and ignore what the majority really want until blissful death. :wink:

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
From Che Guevara to Ramsay MacDonald in less than four years: is that really how Corbyn wants to be remembered?

Every Labour leader gets accused by pissed off activists of betrayal and being the next Ramsey McDonald but none have actually bailed out a Tory government. Look forward to someone like Rory Stewart becoming Stanley Baldwin for the 10 years if Corbyn signs on the dotted line next week.
oboogie liked this

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Not sure UBI is dubious. Or that radical. But yeah, labour seem to be announcing policies while the Tories are just setting themselves on fire. Certainly seem more prepared for a GE and with some sort of vision for the future than the Tories.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
I think UBI would be a great idea. The problem is I don’t think now is the time to announce it because I’d be willing to bet it has either not been costed or costed on some fag packet basis from a nonexistent ‘Brexit dividend’.

Of course if it is announced as part of a regeneration package after a push to stay in the EU then marvellous - the money would then be there. Otherwise it’ll be shredded as Labour borrowing and/or giving money to scroungers and be a gift of a distraction to the Tories having to fight an election they claimed we’d never see. (Of course, if it is costed on the basis of a Brexit dividend then it absolutely deserves to be shredded)
lord_kobel, oboogie liked this
The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fete[…]

Local journalism at its best

I was having similar thoughts as Jesy from Little […]

Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1172977063[…]

The LibDems, generally

Interesting. Never take Twitter at face value woul[…]