Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 63.6 % ❤ 1.5 % :thumbsup: 4.4 % 😯 0.7 % :grinning: 20.7 % 🧥 1.5 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 1.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
The economic advisers group stopped after the Owen Smith leadership challenge. Shame really because though Blanchflower wasn't complimentary, Wren-Lewis thought it was useful and praised McDonnell's use of their work.

Wren-Lewis is not happy with Corbyn on Brexit, so he'd probably have bailed out anyway, mind.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's amazing how that one quote seems to have come back to bite yon Winegums on the arse more than any other, isn't it?

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Assuming the coronation of the buffoon-in-chief goes ahead as planned this time, you have to wonder whether Corbyn will finally get the boot from his own side.

For all Johnson's billions of failings, being charismatic and able to bluster through a speech are regrettably not on the list. Against May, breeze blocks seem animated and lively. But to someone actually able to function as a human (albeit an utterly dreadful, morally corrupt one) Corbyn is going to look and sound like a droning lifeless community college geography lecturer spinning out the last few weeks until retirement in comparison.

I'm sure his usual cheerleaders will bleat on about substance not performance, but a substance of ignoring what his party want and a load of ignored bigotry on top of being a tetchy, media-avoiding grump are going to absolutely hand Johnson a whopping advantage.
lord_kobel, Oblomov, bluebellnutter and 2 others liked this

By Oblomov
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 am

I'm sure his usual cheerleaders will bleat on about substance not performance
I wonder if they're aware that Blair's whopping great success in 1997 was partly down to Mandelson pinching Clinton's campaigning techniques.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Nick Cohen is once again on fine form.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/05/cor ... ssion=true
What was obvious in London is obvious everywhere. Brexit can destroy the left — and Labour with it. Like vultures, the Liberal Democrats, Greens, Change UK and the Scottish and Welsh nationalists are already swooping down to feast on, well, the remains. The Lib Dems, written off by the left as Tory collaborators, are enjoying the heartiest meal. A poll for last weekend’s Observer found that, within the space of four weeks, they had roared ahead of Labour to become the favoured party of Remain voters. To date, 37 per cent of Labour’s 2017 general election vote had defected to the Lib Dems and Greens. I don’t believe the defections are over yet.

The malicious among you should savour the moment. For the first time, Labour is controlled by men who denounce the Labour tradition as a sellout. They announced themselves as the true radicals who would revolutionise party and country. Now, in a pattern found in all revolutions, yesterday’s radicals are today’s conservatives, unable to control or comprehend the fury around them.

Propagandists tell us Labour has no choice but to avoid hard choices. Realpolitik demands it ducks the great issue of the day. Never mind that the far left once denounced realpolitik and said, in Karl Marx’s words, that the point was to change the world, not accommodate oneself to it.

Consider instead the folly of the notion that Labour cannot commit to campaigning to remain in the EU. I concede that doubletalk worked for a while. In the 2017 general election, millions fell for it. But as the saying goes, ‘Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.’

Corbyn has taken a senseless political risk by treating his voters as fools. The British Election Study estimated that two thirds of Labour voters went with Remain in the 2016 referendum. Now YouGov estimates that 88 per cent back Remain. Any party that goes with the 12 per cent rather than the 88 per cent will collapse. It is not a party for the many, but for the few.

The far left has been so busy fighting the hated ‘centrists’ that it has forgotten to fight the right and far right. Existing and former Labour supporters have not been so negligent. They need only look at the tribunes of Brexit — at Gerard Batten, Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Dominic Raab — to know that they must be opposed. There is an almost primitive fear at work. If a film company had searched for characters guaranteed to set the tom-toms of liberal England beating out a warning, it could not have found better candidates than these gentlemen.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
In fairness, you can see the policy as being really about getting a referendum but making it clear you've tried everything else first. But that's hardly "straight talking honest politics", is it?

There's been a huge effort by some Corbynites I know to get Labour votes out on Facebook, nice people, totally legitimate persuasion. Some are coming out for Labour, some aren't. But let's see the results first.
Schmee liked this
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Or this: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

If Corbyn did cross the line he'd be the first PM […]

Mark Francois MP

Just had a look at his Wiki page. A stint at Lloyd[…]

Boris Johnson

Wouldn't it be good if newspapers had an imposed p[…]