Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 62.6 % ❤ 1.3 % :thumbsup: 5.2 % 😯 1 % :grinning: 21 % 🧥 1.3 % 🙏 2 % 😟 1.6 % :cry: 2.6 % :shit: 1.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#578157
Winegums wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:04 pm
Jeremy Corbyn has not advocated for hard brexit though?
Jeremy Corbyn wants to leave the Single Market. That is what Hard Brexit is.

If you don't understand what terms mean please stop throwing them about before you do.
lord_kobel, Malcolm Armsteen, oboogie and 1 others liked this
 
By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
#578177
bluebellnutter wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:05 pm
Winegums wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:04 pm
Jeremy Corbyn has not advocated for hard brexit though?
Jeremy Corbyn wants to leave the Single Market. That is what Hard Brexit is.

If you don't understand what terms mean please stop throwing them about before you do.
There's no absolute definition of these terms. He's said he wants to maintain CU access and a close alignment with the EU. Saying "he wants to hard brexit by my definition of hard brexit" doesn't really cut the muster.
 
By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#578179
Winegums wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:22 pm
There's no absolute definition of these terms. He's said he wants to maintain CU access and a close alignment with the EU. Saying "he wants to hard brexit by my definition of hard brexit" doesn't really cut the muster.
I think you'll find it's the most widely terms definition, and the hardness of Brexit is defined entirely by the Single Market. To help...

Remain - Britain stays in the EU
Soft Brexit - Britain leaves the EU but stays inside the single market (e.g. the Norway model)
Hard Brexit - Britain leaves the EU and the single market but with a WA of some sort (Corbyn's plan)
No Deal Brexit - Britain leaves the EU without any sort of EU agreement in place
 
By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
#578180
Nah, that's not what i've read. e.g. https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/hard-br ... sequences/
 
By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#578181
Winegums wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:38 pm
Nah, that's not what i've read. e.g. https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/hard-br ... sequences/
From your source:
Key elements of a soft Brexit:

It would keep the UK closely aligned with the EU.

The UK could gain special access to the single market but might have to, in return, compromise on immigration agreements.

It aims to minimise the impact on trade and businesses by essentially staying in the customs union.


Key elements of a hard Brexit:

It essentially means taking the UK completely out of the EU – including both the single market and the customs union, so it is free from its regulations and tariffs.

It would mean leaving both the single market and the customs union and accepting the (possibly) short-term disruption that would cause in order to have the freedom to operate independently.
Could you explain how that is different from what BBN wrote?
 
By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
#578272
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:57 am
Be fair, he has to give Old Boris a chance to come up with something that meets Labour's 6 Brexit tests That might really happen.
Yep, and I've got a dozen Wessex Saddlebacks here. They're in dispersal at the moment, but it won't take long to get them onto the runway. They're all fed and raring to go.
 
By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
#578321
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:06 pm
Winegums wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:38 pm
Nah, that's not what i've read. e.g. https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/hard-br ... sequences/
From your source:
Key elements of a soft Brexit:

It would keep the UK closely aligned with the EU.

The UK could gain special access to the single market but might have to, in return, compromise on immigration agreements.

It aims to minimise the impact on trade and businesses by essentially staying in the customs union.


Key elements of a hard Brexit:

It essentially means taking the UK completely out of the EU – including both the single market and the customs union, so it is free from its regulations and tariffs.

It would mean leaving both the single market and the customs union and accepting the (possibly) short-term disruption that would cause in order to have the freedom to operate independently.
Could you explain how that is different from what BBN wrote?
The source suggests that a soft brexit doesn't necessarily entail staying in the SM or CU, but maintaining a close relationship to it. BBN wrote that any break from the SM is a hard brexit. Please try to concentrate and read sources carefully before commenting TIA.
 
By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
#578336
Jeremy Corbyn 'will TODAY back move for Labour to change Brexit policy and support a second referendum'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... olicy.html



Reckon he actually will? I'll believe it when I see it.

if this transpires I can only assume Winegums is going to fiercely oppose Corbyn on this after arguing for so long that we shouldn't have a 2nd Ref.
 
By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#578344
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:41 am
Jeremy Corbyn 'will TODAY back move for Labour to change Brexit policy and support a second referendum'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... olicy.html



Reckon he actually will? I'll believe it when I see it.

if this transpires I can only assume Winegums is going to fiercely oppose Corbyn on this after arguing for so long that we shouldn't have a 2nd Ref.
Well, I'm expecting more mumbled lukewarm obfuscation even if the shadow cabinet does unambiguously approve the policy change.

And there, Dr Watson, is the problem. What is needed here, and what is so lacking in Corbyn, is leadership . A leader to go conspicuously, in-your-face, passionately, tub-thumpingly public with Labour's new position, inspiring people, firing people up, and bringing people - voters - on board. Much as say, Tony Blair used to be able to do so effortlessly.

We'll never get anything like that from Jeremy Corbyn in a century of blue fucking moons.
youngian, lord_kobel, oboogie and 2 others liked this
 
By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
#578348
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:41 am
Jeremy Corbyn 'will TODAY back move for Labour to change Brexit policy and support a second referendum'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... olicy.html



Reckon he actually will? I'll believe it when I see it.

if this transpires I can only assume Winegums is going to fiercely oppose Corbyn on this after arguing for so long that we shouldn't have a 2nd Ref.
I've disagreed with Corbyn on plenty, I think us going hard remain wouldn't be a smart move.
  • 1
  • 774
  • 775
  • 776
  • 777
  • 778
  • 839
The Trump Presidency

On the positive side neoliberalism is dying, inc[…]

The Northern Irish thread

She'll have to make 98 or 103 in order to out[…]

Labour, Generally.

If you'd won the argument, you'd be in Downing Str[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Johnson went to Brussels to agree to accept the […]