Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 63.8 % ❤ 1.5 % :thumbsup: 4.1 % 😯 0.7 % :grinning: 20.7 % 🧥 1.5 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 1.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Labour and Jeremy's stance are entirely in keeping with this. He's said consistently we're gunning for a GE. If we can't get one we'll push for 2nd ref.

I've really enjoyed watching the media class pretend not to get the Labour position, despite it being laid out clearly and consistently for years. Almost as though they just want to sell the narrative that "it's all too complicated for anyone to understand", rather than actually trying to understand it. Glad to see posters on mailwatch lapping up this narrative unquestioningly too.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
It's not bollocks though, is it. It's an assessment of the class structure of this country. Again, it's astonishing that we're on mailwatch dot co dot you kay and people are acting as though the power structures in this country aren't real.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Fuck me, the mail have, just in the last two days, printed a photograph of Johnson and implied it was taken yesterday, flat out built a whole lying story around this, when everyone involved knows that's bullshit, in order to protect PM elect Boris Johnson

And yet everyone's standing around going "nah, there's no media class. There's no shared political interest of the instruments of the profoundly wealthy and powerful".

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Are you a columnist for a prominent broadsheet, or a presenter of a mainstream current affairs program?
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's just a new way of saying "clever London people", isnt it?

To be fair, I do agree that the opinion makers in the media are overwhelmingly white, comfortable and southern. I agree that working class people in particular are under-represented or served up as cliches - the angry man on Stoke market and so on. I agree that far too much of discussion about working class people is "our betters" telling us what's good for us. I've read "Chavs" and agree with it.

But that said, I came from a working class background in the black country. I went to university thanks to the grant and the government covering tuition fees. I've made something of myself, but still live in a working class neighbourhood (,Wavertree in Liverpool) and work in local government. Maybe, having risen to manager, I'm no longer working class according to Doctor Shitman. After all, that's his logic for Jess Phillips mum.

The affected pride in working class roots, manifest as a hatred of anything "lah di dah" and championing obstinacy and ignorance, is a race to the bottom.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:53 pm

To be fair, I do agree that the opinion makers in the media are overwhelmingly white, comfortable and southern. I agree that working class people in particular are under-represented or served up as cliches - the angry man on Stoke market and so on. I agree that far too much of discussion about working class people is "our betters" telling us what's good for us. I've read "Chavs" and agree with it.

But that said, I came from a working class background in the black country. I went to university thanks to the grant and the government covering tuition fees. I've made something of myself, but still live in a working class neighbourhood (,Wavertree in Liverpool) and work in local government. Maybe, having risen to manager, I'm no longer working class according to Doctor Shitman. After all, that's his logic for Jess Phillips mum.

The affected pride in working class roots, manifest as a hatred of anything "lah di dah" and championing obstinacy and ignorance, is a race to the bottom.
Jess Phillips' mum was in senior management and ran an outsourced consultancy firm. She sure as fuck wasn't working class lmfao.

This is nothing to do with "clever London people", amongst whom I would count many learned but ultimately powerless colleagues. It's about a clique of prominant media characters who hold a significant amount of power and influence. It's your Andrew Neils, your Laura Kussenbergs, Boris etc. It's about the power they hold over media editorials and how they use that to push right-wing views with no accountability.

Really the whole Boris flat shouting argument debacle is a perfect microcosm of this. His neighbours hear a serious and concerning sounding domestic argument, and record the audio of it and contact tte police.

The Times columnist and political anointed one Boris was challenged, and immediately the guns were turned on these neighbours. The floor plan of their 750k flat (normal london prices, not a broken housing market) was published. Their personal details slapped all over the paper. The message was clear = if you fuck with one of ours we will ruin your lives. The media establishment rallied round, with professional columnists offering words of support for Boris and opinion pieces being written in the Spectator and others, castigating these nosy lefty remainer trots for spying on poor Boris.

The same papers, of course who have no issues with policies of stop and search, of a surveillance state being used to keep an eye on anyone who'd fail the dulux colour test. Because this wasn't about the principle, it was about the target (one of them). This is the media class. A group who act as a vanguard to capital and the enshrined power of the very wealthy, but who also use this power to protect their own class interests.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Winegums wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:34 pm
Labour and Jeremy's stance are entirely in keeping with this. He's said consistently we're gunning for a GE. If we can't get one we'll push for 2nd ref.

I've really enjoyed watching the media class pretend not to get the Labour position, despite it being laid out clearly and consistently for years. Almost as though they just want to sell the narrative that "it's all too complicated for anyone to understand", rather than actually trying to understand it. Glad to see posters on mailwatch lapping up this narrative unquestioningly too.
You're saying this as if the last year or so of e.g. Starmer saying one thing and then Barry Bollocks or 'Labour Spokesman' saying another - sometimes the same day - didn't happen. Corbyn might have been clear he wanted a GE. What was never clear was what for, what would happen then, who'd get a say afterwards (if anyone), what he'd even put in a referendum and so on. And he expected that mess to appeal to everyone, and of course it appealed to no one.

We all 'got' what the real message was. Non-commitment and vagueness instead of specifics so he could never be tied down. It was bollocks and went over about as well as if it were written in heiroglyphics. And all that 'media class' crap is just another exercise in avoiding any sort of self-analysis or criticism. *HE* wasn't wrong, people *pretended* not to get it.

Or, you know, it was just shit. He wanted to leave but wanted to win votes, so he fudged it. Just like Boris has equally fucked up his obviously staged photoshoot and 'crate bus' stuff.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
I mean, why are we even having this discussion? He tried to play both sides and lost. His close allies have told him it was confusing. He’s AGREED it could be clearer - and then he fucking rowed back on that, just to provide a lovely example of why no one could really be sure.
lord_kobel liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Yep. And it's completely anachronistic, like saying "Fleet Street" or something. We can seek out our own experts directly on Twitter and blogs these days. Somebody like Simon Wren-Lewis, for instance, who co-wrote Labour's fiscal rule. He's not very happy with Corbyn on Brexit either.
Labour, Generally.

A Jewish Voice for Labour genius speaks. https://[…]

And on they go... Prince William and Kate go[…]

The Tories, Generally

The nasty party strikes again. Tory treasurer […]

The Sun

Boris has an opportunity. Let’s hope the re[…]