Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 63.5 % ❤ 1.4 % :thumbsup: 4.3 % 😯 0.7 % :grinning: 20.9 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 1.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:54 am
I'd rather Margaret Beckett than Harriet Harman
Margaret Beckett is 76 and, according to a friend who met her recently, is looking very frail these days. There may be good reasons that her name is not being suggested.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Recommended reading here. Why Jeremy Corbyn is, as ever, the root of the problem and the obstacle to Labour making any political progress.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1162 ... Licf2RL5TU

By Tubby Isaacs
I don't buy this.
And people close to him, like John McDonnell, have said that Labour intends to pursue its manifesto once it's in power. (And by implication dare MPs to vote it down, see the new Government fail, and get Boris Johnson and no deal Brexit back.)
There are about 30 MPs who properly support Corbyn. You're not running a government with that.

I don't think there's anyway Jez (who isn't trusted on Brexit) would get away with not supporting an alternative who could stop No Deal. I mean, how many more voters does he want to clear off to the Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru and the Greens?

I can't see "only Jez can lead this" lasting all that long. Just like Swinson, he's got to think about his position in a general election. It'll be useful for him to say "they call me a fantatic, but look how I gave way for the greater good of stopping No Deal".

By Abernathy
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:58 pm
I can't see "only Jez can lead this" lasting all that long. Just like Swinson, he's got to think about his position in a general election. It'll be useful for him to say "they call me a fantatic, but look how I gave way for the greater good of stopping No Deal".
Well, yes. I sincerely hope that's right. As ever, though, if Jez is ever going to get there, he'll get there excruciatingly slowly - to the point of very nearly, if not actually, being too bloody late.

I hear he's off to east Africa now. Vitally important fact-finding at a time of national crisis, obviously.

By Abernathy
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:51 pm

There's two aspects to the GONU. There's who leads it and what it does. The stuff Jez came up with on what it would do was constructive.
Yes, but insisting that he must be the caretaker PM is fucking nuts.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Yes it was. The caretaker PM can't be the leader of the opposition, it needs to be a relatively neutral figure.
Abernathy liked this

By Abernathy
It was completely unreasonable of him to suggest he should head a caretaker government.

All it has done is make the whole prospect impossible. If he can't get cross party support for a confidence vote aimed at installing him as caretaker PM, there's no point. That's what the article quoted says, too. Furthermore, Corbyn must know this.

Corbyn is jeopardising a possible way to stop Johnson's no deal exit through his stubborn idiotic vanity and howling ineptitude.
Boiler, Malcolm Armsteen, lord_kobel and 2 others liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
People are trying to nail this on Swinson, but she's been spot on. There's no point in trying to organise a caretaker govt. around Corbyn because he will never get the numbers he needs in Tory rebels. Therefore even though technically he should have first dibs, it will just be a waste of time. This is compounded by the fact that McDonnell and others have been mouthing off that, if in office, Labour will seek to implement its manifesto. Which sucks all the trust out of the equation of either a caretaker govt. or a 'vote for us and we'll give you a referendum' deal.

The stupid thing is, if he did step aside not as Labour leader but just for this it would immediately earn him a huge amount of goodwill and probably get him enough votes in a GE to become PM. They're just so fucking ideologically driven and obsessed with not doing deals or cooperating because it'll tarnish their precious purity that they won't do it.

By Snowflake
Abernathy wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:20 pm
It was completely unreasonable of him to suggest he should head a caretaker government.

Corbyn is jeopardising a possible way to stop Johnson's no deal exit through his stubborn idiotic vanity and howling ineptitude.
I hate to suggest it, but he wouldn't be trying to run down the clock, would he? If remain fail to even mount a challenge, it will almost be a bigger kick in the guts than the referendum result.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
He's absolutely running down the clock, because he still thinks that if he can have brexit and not be involved he'll somehow not be held responsible by the electorate whatsoever and will romp home at a subsequent GE. This, despite the proven unpopularity of his policies, of him personally, his sub-zero appeal to leavers, to even moderate conservatives and - last by not least by a country mile - the fact that anyone who wants to remain will be painfully aware of what a self-destructive, arrogant act this is and will NOT reward him for it. He (or his team) still seem to think all those votes loaned at the last GE really were for him, and that insulting binary choice messages of "vote for us or you're a Tory" will work (and further, because they think they will work that they can do anything they want as long as they are marginally less awful than the Tories).

It's like being in last place in a 10-lap race, coming up to the bell, and then deciding the best way to win is to assume all your opponents will simultaneously trip up and that the crowd - who you have been hurling insults at for the previous 9 laps - will get behind you when you're the only one left.
Snowflake liked this

The 21 ex-Tory rebels know this is disgraceful. 3 […]

Technical Support Issues - Post here

Yep, all seems to work fine. The 'Outbox' folder a[…]

The Sun

Quite. Certainly Harry has rattled them.

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Co-incided conveniently with Britain's switch from[…]