Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 63.2 % ❤ 1.4 % :thumbsup: 4.3 % 😯 1.1 % :grinning: 21.1 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 2.1 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 2.1 % :shit: 1.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Basically the GFA is the single greatest achievement of Tony Blair, so if they take it away from him then it becomes all about the I word and they can disparage and dismiss him with no comeback.
oboogie, Zuriblue, Oblomov liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Corbyn’s liberationist politics are not hard to explain; Terrorism and guerrilla armies are the artillery of the poor creating militarist power balance to those oppressed by Western imperialist expansionism. Basically Kissinger Realism for non state actors. Why wouldn’t Jeremy lay a wreath to commemorate the Black September freedom fighters? I never get an answer to that. I’d have more respect for Corbyn if he explained his philosophy to post Cold War generations. Instead of winging it pretending to be a CND peacenik because he looks like one.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
You can see why they would think he was involved - he’s shoehorned his way into loads of other protest and peace efforts (whether wanted or not, and certainly not always helpfully), and he and his cheerleaders like to bang on about the fact he’s so right on he was at Cable Street, albeit in pre-embryonic form.

The truth that when this was going on he was probably working to undermine the party and backstabbing the leadership left, right and centre somewhat undermines his peaceful elder statesman image. So why not believe a convenient lie instead? They’ve already forgiven him his selective choice of who to oppose when he was chair of Stop the War, more or less accepted antisemitic abuse is fine because Palestine, and redefined rudderless, unpopular Brexit policies as 4D chess. Outright fabrication is a natural next step.

By Abernathy
This is quite interesting. It is one of the more coherent pieces that I've read arguing in Corbyn's favour. It is well-written, and mostly logical and lacking in the hysteria that characterises other such arguments.

Ultimately, however, it still boils down to the old claim that Corbyn is failing not because he is crap and incompetent, but because the powers that be are so terrified that he might get to be PM that they are conspiring to use every trick in their armoury to ensure it will never happen.

It also gets it wrong on the anti-semitism issue. It of course ignores the fact that instances of anti-semitism in the Labour Party began to rise exponentially from 2015, coinciding with Corbyn's ascension to the party leadership, which also prompted the influx of former tankies, SWP types, and sundry other hard left misfits who felt emboldened to join or re-join the Labour Party by Jeremy Corbyn, and the long tradition of support for the Palestinian cause spilling too readily into anti-semitism.In a very real sense, Corbyn imported anti-semitism into the Labour Party.

Anyhoo, worth a read :

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019 ... -out-power
oboogie liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Anyhoo, worth a read :
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019 ... -out-power

All the usual suspects to blame; The meeja, Israeli plots, corporations. No blame apportioned to Corbyn’s transparent short comings of course. There’s a view that the Tories go pretty easy on Corbyn not just because he’s unelectable but an easy beating up on this seemingly mild mannered old gent doesn’t go down well with the public. Unfortunately for Jez no one is elected out of pity.
oboogie liked this

By bluebellnutter
It was always the most likely outcome, and the one which has the most chance of success. Voting for legislation is a lot easier to stomach for a Tory rebel than the idea of putting yon Jezza into No.10.

By bluebellnutter
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:53 pm
So was the caretaker PM stuff just a trap for Swinson? If legislation can sort this out, why have we been wasting time discussing it? I assumed there was some reason legislation wouldn't work this time.
I reckon it was a bit of overreach, he thought he had a genuine chance of getting in and was a bit miffed when he realised he didn't, so doubled down. Now that Starmer has re-emerged from wherever he's been for the last few weeks suddenly the message has become a bit more grown up.
youngian, Timbo liked this
Boris Johnson

£500m to restore the Beeching cuts apparentl[…]

Its as if Janet Street-Porter needed a few bob for[…]

Richard Littlejohn

But I’m pleased that Only Fools is being sh[…]

2019 General Election

Not too good at this, are they? :lol: https://[…]