Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 63.2 % ❤ 1.4 % :thumbsup: 4.3 % 😯 1.1 % :grinning: 21.1 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 2.1 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 2.1 % :shit: 1.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
I hate stupid phrases like that as much as I hate management buzzwords like "going forward", and people on the radio who start every sentence with "so". Codewords that determine whether or not you're part of the "in crowd".

Anything else?
Last edited by Boiler on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
My problem with "woke" is all about context. Fat, white, middle-class males (like me) seeking credibility for their prejudice by dipping in to a culture like an all-you-can scoff buffet from their student days, and trying to belittle the concern about black children being filled with lead.

On the other hand, it marks them out as cunts without forcing us in to all the dreary background research to establish that fact.

It is all part of the SJW insult. It is all part of the snowflake insult.

The lyrics evolve but the tune remains the same.

By Boiler
Yes, I know of its origin. I looked it up, oddly enough when it started being used by our departed member. And Kreuzy has explained more eloquently than I could another reason why I dislike its use.

I am tired, I have had a bad day and the last thing I want is people picking a fucking fight with me over words I dislike the usage of.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:10 pm
I wasn't picking a fight I asked you a question.
That's fair enough, in my opinion. The point is that old people trying to ride billy-big-balls on yoof speak is never going to end well.

We pretend to co-opt this linguistic evolution rather than try to understand its roots and inspiration.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Like "virtue signalling", it's something that's belatedly picked up by tabloid journalists (like, REALLY belatedly) and they feel the need to use in in nearly every single article as if they're really proud of themselves for their understanding of youth language. They often misuse it and it just turns into something that identifies them as complete twats.

Remember when "virtue signalling" was not at all mainstream and was used by people like Paul Joseph Watson of Prison Planet? Now (literally years too late) it's used daily in The Sun and Mail, even in their editorials.

An expression Malcolm used a long while back which stuck with me; this cringe worthy way journalists learn about a 'trendy' word way later than everyone else and then start shoehorning it into all their articles is the 'the written equivalent of Dad Dancing'.
Boris Johnson

Today’s fantasy economics: Bristol wants Bre[…]

The Mail vs Meghan Markle & Prince Harry

PIERS MORGAN: If Harry and Meghan don't want nega[…]

2019 General Election

Not too good at this, are they? :lol: https://[…]

Richard Littlejohn

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-76876[…]