Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 63.6 % ❤ 1.5 % :thumbsup: 4.4 % 😯 0.7 % :grinning: 20.7 % 🧥 1.5 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 1.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:53 am
yeah, fair play to him - he's coming over well just now. Plus there finally seems to have been a lid put on talking about the version of Brexit he wants etc. - maybe the shitshow Johnson has faced has finally got the message across that any brexit is an electoral suicide note.
Downvotes ahoy, but personally I think Labour going full Remain at the impending GE would be a bad move. A slightly tweaked version of their current stance would probably suffice for just enough voters to get on board (albeit very grudgingly) i.e. pledge to negotiate a coherent Brexit deal which aligns the UK with EU standards which is then, crucially, put to a public vote (with 16yo and 17yo included) with Remain as the only other option.

Red meat for sane Leavers = the much trumpeted “jobs-first Brexit” and avoidance of a No Deal calamity
Red meat for sane Remainers = they will now have the chance to burn the whole bloody thing to the ground (hopefully this what happens, by a big enough margin to neutralise Brexit for a generation)

During an era of massive political polarisation, the hope would be that voters would look favourably upon a party which at least tries to be sensitive to both Remain and Leave.
Schmee liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
He'd be an absolute idiot to go into a GE still trying to look both ways. So given we're now overdue a foot in mouth moment, I expect he'll do this.

More votes to LDs, more influence for them in the inevitable hung parliament to follow, better terms for the 2nd referendum. I can live with it.
oboogie liked this

By Abernathy
It's all a bit weird.

Theresa May was unbelievably shite, but she never made Corbyn look good.

Boris Johnson has come in and has immediately made Corbyn look like Nelson Mandela.

We're down a fucking rabbit hole, here.
Snowflake, youngian, Boiler liked this

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
It's not unlike back in 2017 when T*ump's reign of terror was barely a few months old for some to start commenting that even he was starting to make Dubya's presidency look good in retrospect.
Arrowhead liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:49 am
It's all a bit weird.

Boris Johnson has come in and has immediately made Corbyn look like Nelson Mandela.

I'll blow my own trumpet on this one as I've been saying that Johnson's shtick would look terrible up against Corbyn as he did in the 2017 GE when they had to hide him away. Its vexed many of us for a decade why anyone would think Johnson is any good or can be trusted in the top seat. I feel a weight is lifting.
Samanfur liked this

By Snowflake
The media seem to being strong on Labour not being able to agree a GE date, just heard Beth Rigby on Sky mention it so it's not just the Tory press.

Seriously, after pretty much the best week of his entire leadership is Jez now likely to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?
By Andy McDandy
youngian wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:36 am
Abernathy wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:49 am
It's all a bit weird.

I'll blow my own trumpet on this one as I've been saying that Johnson's shtick would look terrible up against Corbyn as he did in the 2017 GE when they had to hide him away. Its vexed many of us for a decade why anyone would think Johnson is any good or can be trusted in the top seat. I feel a weight is lifting.
People voted for the Nazis and like Mrs Brown's Boys. Nobody went bust lowering the common denominator.

By davidjay
Snowflake wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:15 pm
The media seem to being strong on Labour not being able to agree a GE date, just heard Beth Rigby on Sky mention it so it's not just the Tory press.

Seriously, after pretty much the best week of his entire leadership is Jez now likely to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?
If anyone can do it, Seumas can.

By Arrowhead
davidjay wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:23 pm
If anyone can do it, Seumas can.
Indeed. Seumas seems to have been safely locked away inside an office cupboard for these past few days. It’s the only explanation I can think of for this sudden - and very welcome - outbreak of common sense at the top of the Labour Party this week.

Let’s hope whichever kind soul was responsible now “accidentally” mislays the cupboard keys for a few more weeks.
youngian, lord_kobel liked this

By Boiler
Arrowhead wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:25 pm
Indeed. Seumas seems to have been safely locked away inside an office cupboard for these past few days. It’s the only explanation I can think of for this sudden - and very welcome - outbreak of common sense at the top of the Labour Party this week.

Let’s hope whichever kind soul was responsible now “accidentally” mislays the cupboard keys for a few more weeks.
Hopefully followed by someone screwing a sheet of shuttering ply over the door?

By Malcolm Armsteen
It doesn't look nailed on.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-election
The Guardian understands no final decision has been made about Labour’s tactics next week, but daily discussions are taking place with other key opposition figures including the SNP’s Ian Blackford and Liberal Democrat leader, Jo Swinson.

One option under fresh consideration is a vote of no confidence, which could be tabled as soon as next week. If the government lost, it would be followed by a 14-day period during which MPs could seek to put together an alternative majority.

As Corbyn proposed in the summer, he would then seek to lead a strictly time-limited government, which would simply request an extension from the EU27 for the purposes of holding a general election, and then dissolve itself.
However, the president of the TUC, a close ally of Corbyn, called for Labour to support a general election as soon as legislation halting a no-deal Brexit is imposed upon the government. Mark Serwotka also warned Labour MPs including deputy leader Tom Watson to fall in line behind their leader.However, the president of the TUC, a close ally of Corbyn, called for Labour to support a general election as soon as legislation halting a no-deal Brexit is imposed upon the government. Mark Serwotka also warned Labour MPs including deputy leader Tom Watson to fall in line behind their leader.

Serwotka, who was due to address the first day of the TUC’s annual congress in Brighton on Sunday, said he favoured going to the polls as soon as anti no-deal legislation was in place. “My position is that we want an election – we want it as soon as possible once a no-deal Brexit is off the table. We have been demanding a general election and now we should get to it as quickly as we could,” he told the Guardian.
Serwotka, who rejoined Labour under Corbyn’s leadership, dismissed the idea of a national unity government led by a parliamentary grandee, adding that he would only support a Corbyn-led government.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts

And for once Corbyn hit the net. Perhaps he might draw some conclusions from this. We’ll see.
Arrowhead, Timbo liked this

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:44 am

And for once Corbyn hit the net. Perhaps he might draw some conclusions from this. We’ll see.
Seumas has, in fact, been on holiday - I fear a return to normal service may be imminent.
C**t of the day

I'm willing to bet at least 98% of those tweeting […]

Local journalism at its best

I like the idea of raising alarm bells...

The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fe[…]

The latest Alexa ad has it helping a blind woman. […]