Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 59.2 % ❤ 1.6 % :thumbsup: 6.3 % 😯 2.5 % :grinning: 22.5 % 🧥 0.9 % 🙏 2.7 % 😟 1.1 % :cry: 2.3 % :shit: 0.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:57 pm
Has Neil interviewed Johnson yet?
No, that's to come. Fully expect him to be just as withering to Johnson as he was to Corbyn ("What would you do during the referendum campaign? Go on holiday ?" ) , but somehow I'm thinking Johnson ,ight just come out slightly less worse off than Corbyn. I don't say "better" because Johnson is even more of a useless cunt than Corbyn.

By Abernathy
The zinger here is that Miriam thinks that if Corbyn were to get out of the way in favour of Keir Starmer - even now, just over two weeks before polling day - Labour would "sail in".

And you know what? She's almost certainly right.

https://www.channel4.com/news/corbyn-ma ... pB2JLNfFWY
oboogie, mattomac liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Abernathy wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:21 pm
Britain Elects
@britainelects
Preference for Prime Minister:

B. Johnson: 47% (+6)
J. Corbyn: 16% (-2)
J. Swinson: 15% (-6)

via
@Survation

Chgs. w/ Sep
I genuinely believe that if Swinson were a man, with the exact same going in swinging attitude, she'd be up level with if not ahead of Johnson.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Did those who watched it genuinely think it was such a disaster? If anything I thought the person who came out looking awful was Neil. Asks a question and then shouts down the answer before it's even given. He's an unpleasant cunt, he really is. I thought Corbyn wasn't as bad as he sometimes is, which isn't high praise but it certainly wasn't a catastrophic interview, by any means. More measured and calm than usual, if anything.

Let's be honest, all the "car crash interview" headlines had already been written way before the interview even took place. Just like the Boris playing a blinder and giving an amazing interview headlines, which will have also already been written before the interview has even taken place. Same with the manifesto articles.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I genuinely believe that if Swinson were a man, with the exact same going in swinging attitude, she'd be up level with if not ahead of Johnson.
I've also wondered how John Swinson would perform if he demanded the crown because he believed he was fit for it while Johnson and Corbyn weren't. Whatever the problem is with Swinson's flagging campaign. If the results a poor for LDs I'm sure she has enough leadership acumen to stand down to put her party and country before her vanity. In fact everyone has apart from Corbyn.

By Abernathy
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:39 am
Did those who watched it genuinely think it was such a disaster?

Absolute five star, unmitigated disaster. It could hardly have gone worse. Imagine an undecided voter watching this performance in order to help him/her decide whether they'd like to have Mr Corbyn as the new PM. Ten foot pole. They wouldn't touch him, even though Johnson is arguably worse.

If anything I thought the person who came out looking awful was Neil. Asks a question and then shouts down the answer before it's even given.

I suggest you watch it again. Neil only interrupted Corbyn when Corbyn was not answering the question that he'd just been asked. Which is entirely legitimate.
He's an unpleasant cunt, he really is.

Undoubtedly true, but somewhat beside the point.
I thought Corbyn wasn't as bad as he sometimes is, which isn't high praise but it certainly wasn't a catastrophic interview, by any means. More measured and calm than usual, if anything.
Really disagree with that. He seemed unprepared, unable to answer some questions, couldn't deal properly with the "will you now apologise?" question because he failed to recognise it for the mantrap it was (how much easier would it have been to say, for example, "yes, my party has been less than efficient at dealing with this problem and some Jewish people have been hurt and offended by this, and for that I'm truly sorry, but I will give an undertaking that anti-semitism or other forms of racism is not and will not be tolerated within the Labour Party."
Let's be honest, all the "car crash interview" headlines had already been written way before the interview even took place.

Perhaps that's true, but in this case the headlines were fully justified.
Just like the Boris playing a blinder and giving an amazing interview headlines, which will have also already been written before the interview has even taken place. Same with the manifesto articles.

I do hope that you aren't suggesting that the former publisher of the Spectator magazine is likely to give the former editor of the Spectator magazine an easier time than he did Corbyn - because he won't. That would be foolish indeed. Whatever his Tory/Murdochian connections, Neil is one of the best and most professional political interviewers (alongside pehaps Eddie Mair) in the country. He will be giving Johnson just as hard a time as he (rightly) gave Corbyn. Johnson, however, just might be better prepared and rather cleverer than Corbyn in dealing with Neil and thinking on his feet.
oboogie, bluebellnutter liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Fair enough. Each to their own. Maybe I've just seen so many bad Corbyn interviews I've become immune. I just thought he was calmer and less spiky and only argued back when Neil constantly interrupted answers within about 5 words of the answer because he was going for the "gotcha" tactic and could see the answer being given is not the answer he wanted to hear.

I agree an apology would be easier than the weasel words Corybn is using, but it isn't as simple as that. You think the rabid press is going to say "Ah look, he's apologised. Let's move on now"? Bollocks. They'll paint it as Corbyn 'finally admitting Labour are an antisemitic party' or some shite.

As for giving Boris an equally rough ride? I'll believe it when I see it. I suspect that is absolute nonsense but we'll wait and see. When/if the NHS question comes up Boris will shrug it off as an "invention by Labour" and Neil will almost certainly accept the answer and move swiftly on.

By Abernathy
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:08 pm

I agree an apology would be easier than the weasel words Corybn is using, but it isn't as simple as that. You think the rabid press is going to say "Ah look, he's apologised. Let's move on now"? Bollocks. They'll paint it as Corbyn 'finally admitting Labour are an antisemitic party' or some shite.

The thing is, he has previously apologised already. He could have pointed that out, then just reiterated it. Obvious thing to do. But no, we get the tedious old "I've spent my whole life fighting racism in all its forms.....blah blah blah" routine. Repeatedly. Dreadful stuff.
oboogie liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
So, the NHS documents. Bloody brilliant, potentially devastating - no argument there.

...undermined by journalists wanting to ask about antisemitism. And that's why yesterday was so awful. A clumsy, grumpy performance that could easily have been better now means a genuine attack with real teeth could easily be undermined or derailed.

A decent staff would have seen this coming. A decent leader would have realised he can't just talk about what he wants to all the time.
oboogie, youngian, bluebellnutter and 1 others liked this

By Abernathy
Here's Boris demonstrating how to get election brownie points by simply apologising, Jez.

Of course it's totally insincere. Of course he probably would't have done it had Corbyn not made such an almighty cunt of himself by repeatedly refusing to apologise for similar stuff.

But the pont is he did. Compare and contrast, ye voters. Boris might be a cunt but at least his media team knows how to react.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/n ... 1574870198
oboogie liked this

By Boiler
But once again, Johnson apologises; "well done, Boris" says the meejah. End of matter.

If Corbyn did this the media would be slaughtering him to the grave and beyond.
Samanfur liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
I think if a Corbyn apology was greeted in the same way by the press as a Boris apology then he probably would give them what they want. That wouldn't be the case, though, and he and his PR people know that.

"Too little too late"
"Corbyn FINALLY admits Labour are antisemitic"
"Corbyn accused of insincere apology by some random person"
Boris Johnson

Try selling dozens of wind turbines to the NIMBYs […]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

From what Gove was burbling on the news, it's as m[…]

Twat of the Day

A few years ago, I used to go for an after shift d[…]

Jacob Rees-Mogg

That crumpled look and that pipe couldn't be any o[…]