Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 59.9 % ❤ 1.6 % :thumbsup: 5.3 % 😯 1.9 % :grinning: 22.3 % 🧥 1.1 % 🙏 3.2 % 😟 1.3 % :cry: 2.4 % :shit: 1.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
That is quite some grenade. RLB and that Burgon fellow are hamstrung, even if they do win, and Starmer now has carte blanche to torch the place. Quite so.

As for the Shadow Minister for Venezuelan Allotments? He is out on his arse, too.

(No apologies for the simile / metaphor salad.)

By Abernathy
Boiler wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:22 pm
Corbyn's team wanted faction fight, says Lisa Nandy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51752969
This sort of stuff makes me seriously doubt whether the much desired party unity can ever happen - or even should ever happen. Starmer talks about unity because he is obliged to in order to satisfy a selectorate that still contains a sizeable contingent of cranks for whom Corbyn could do no wrong and yes, still want to "crush" moderate members . It's plain , to me at any rate, that at the top of Starmer's to do list must be, by whatever means, ridding the party of this toxically nasty faction.
lord_kobel liked this

By Abernathy
At the risk of appearing melodramatic, I think it's clear that over the past five years, the Labour Party has been subjected to a takeover of sorts, by factions alien to the party's clause 1 foundations, who view the party as a vehicle for their"Marxist" ideas. John McDonnell has said as much.

It's at every level, from the NEC down to the regional offices and CLP executive committees.

A purge *will* have to happen, it seems to me.

By Andy McDandy
Seems that both main parties have been hijacked by the lunatic fringe. And as we've seen, it's hard to argue from the centre, because you'll get outflanked by the extremists.
spoonman liked this
By visage
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:00 pm
At the risk of appearing melodramatic, I think it's clear that over the past five years, the Labour Party has been subjected to a takeover of sorts, by factions alien to the party's clause 1 foundations, who view the party as a vehicle for their"Marxist" ideas. John McDonnell has said as much.

It's at every level, from the NEC down to the regional offices and CLP executive committees.

A purge *will* have to happen, it seems to me.
It depends on whether people follow through on their threats to leave if/when Starmer wins. I suspect they wont, but all Starmer needs to do is vocally nominate Blair for a peerage and that should do it.
oboogie, Timbo liked this

By Abernathy
Kreuzberger wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:22 pm
Party membership numbers are vanity. Votes are what make the ultimate difference.

Am I being overly simplistic?
No, you're quite right. Party membership is almost meaningless. The Tories have just won an 80 seat majority with a membership of about 190,000. It's just another straw clutched at by Cultists. See also : increasing the total number of votes cast for Labour. But if an extra 3,000 people vote Labour in a safe Labour seat, but we still lose seats that we must win in order to form a government and we end up 150 seats behind the Tories, total vote share means precisely fuck all. This is only one of the many things that piss me off about The Cult. And incidentally, wankers like the now departed bogus doctor.
Kreuzberger, oboogie liked this

By Abernathy
Boiler wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:07 am
The one thing a large membership generates is funds for fighting elections; does Labour attract the sort of moneyed donors that the Tories do?
Some. Blair was good at attracting large individual donations (with the help of Michael Levy), but Corbyn less so, for some reason (!). There are sizeable donations from the big trades unions.
Last edited by Abernathy on Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Crace

Some people are just like that, though. I'm sure w[…]

Jacob Rees-Mogg

I think Boris would quite welcome two weeks withou[…]

London Mayoral Election

It gets better. https://twitter.com/ShaunBaileyUK[…]

One of them being a cousin of mine