Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 59.9 % ❤ 1.6 % :thumbsup: 5.3 % 😯 1.9 % :grinning: 22.3 % 🧥 1.1 % 🙏 3.2 % 😟 1.3 % :cry: 2.4 % :shit: 1.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
davidjay wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:10 pm
Kinnock had to clear up the mess Foot left and begin the modernisation process.
I feel a bit crap saying this literally within the first few hours of the leadership results being announced, but to be totally honest I suspect a similar sort of fate awaits Starmer as well. In other words, a few thankless years cleaning up the jelly and ice cream left behind by the last lot before succumbing to a modest defeat at the next GE, albeit after retaking a significant number of marginal seats in the process. With the party reputation largely repaired in the eyes of the electorate, hopefully an Allin-Khan or Rayner will sweep to a big victory afterwards.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Paul wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:03 pm
I suspect that for many voters he will be seen as too left wing with the Bogeymen of the unions behind him. The DM have lots of abusive articles already written in preparation for today. Cuntyjohn is racking his brain cells ( sic ) to think of a name for him.
Unionised workers are in the frontline of this crisis so I doubt voters are too worried about a future Starmer government keeping Arthur Scargill and Jack Jones’s members sweet.
mattomac, oboogie liked this
By mattomac
Johnson is no Thatcher.... and ChangeUk (or whatever it was called) was no SDP. (Expect one or two of them to join the Labour Party again, it will help the Starmer narrative).

Some big factors to play with that make it totally different to the 1980's, Thatcher became vulnerable when she believed she was the only one who was right, I feel this lot are already down the line in 1990.

If Corbyn can produce a hung government, I feel after the handling of this scenario so can Starmer.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
If Corbyn can produce a hung government, I feel after the handling of this scenario so can Starmer.

The Tories wouldn't have bet the house on Johnson if they foresaw a Starmer leadership. Few would put money on him winning over a Corbyn dauphin this time last year. And whatever attack strategy the Tories had waiting for Keir is now irrelevant. The government can't be seen to attack the statesman like opposition leader so they now have to grin and bear him on Skype every night acting the big I am PM-in-waiting.
Cyclist liked this
Predicting the next election right now is basically impossible. Things are far too unpredictable. There's the current crisis for a start, this is very much not Johnson's comfort zone and he knows it. One false step could screw him permanently (people might forgive losing their job every so often bu they tend to find it harder to forgive a Government they blame for them losing their gran). Once this is done there's the minefield of Brexit, especially given opinion of Trump seems to have poisoned in this country even more in the last couple of weeks as people have watched on in horror at his handling of the crisis over there.

Plus there's the standard "events, dear boy" lying in wait in the next four years. After all, who could have foreseen in April 2016 where we'd be in April 2020? You still want to have a bash at predicting April 2024?
Arrowhead, oboogie liked this
Correct on Johnson/Thatcher. Thatcher, like other dictators, actually believed her own propaganda.

Come the next election, I see a lot of the strange places which went tory for the first time ever, or for the first time since about the 30s,going back to labour and the start of the long road back. I think it will be a bit like the elections in either 1987 or 92, when inroads were made, but not quite enough.

The one after that, who knows?
The other factor is the Lib Dems. They now have the proper breathing space to rebuild, and Labour needs to build bridges. It has no hope of winning in 2024 (or indeed any other election for a long time to come) unless the Lib Demds start picking off a few Tories in places like the South West or Home Counties where Labour usually struggles. Brexit may help, particularly if it goes to shit. Johnson now owns that 100% and unarguably, anything less than a "titanic success" and he's in danger.

By Oblomov
bluebellnutter wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:13 pm
Predicting the next election right now is basically impossible. Things are far too unpredictable. There's the current crisis for a start, this is very much not Johnson's comfort zone and he knows it. One false step could screw him permanently (people might forgive losing their job every so often bu they tend to find it harder to forgive a Government they blame for them losing their gran). Once this is done there's the minefield of Brexit, especially given opinion of Trump seems to have poisoned in this country even more in the last couple of weeks as people have watched on in horror at his handling of the crisis over there.

Plus there's the standard "events, dear boy" lying in wait in the next four years. After all, who could have foreseen in April 2016 where we'd be in April 2020? You still want to have a bash at predicting April 2024?
A couple of years ago the suspected idea was that the Tories would make an absolute fist of Brexit so that the Labour government that replaces them are unable to reverse the deluge of shit and Tories are promptly voted back in again to continue as they were for another generation. I presume that might still be the case except this time Red Rishi will leave successors a yawning deficit to negotiate around.

Then again, psychopaths like Bozza and Cumrag don't like the idea of their power being interrupted (even for a sabbatical) so who knows how the chips may fall.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
...this time Red Rishi will leave successors a yawning deficit to negotiate around.
And I hope the Labour government use every opportunity to point this out to the public, using a phrase such as, I don't know, "The mess we inherited" or something.
Oblomov, Arrowhead liked this

By phil1979
Membership Days
bluebellnutter wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:13 pm

It's quite strange to think that the next scheduled General Election after 2015 was next month.

By Abernathy
There will be a huge sense of relief amongst a significant proportion of the electorate that Jeremy Corbyn has gone.

It's difficult to overstate the extent to which the slightest notion that Jeremy Corbyn was being put forward as the next Prime Minister of the UK sent people running in the opposite direction.

You see those wee round marks all over Jezza's face? People touching him with ten foot poles.
oboogie liked this

By Abernathy
If you've not already read this extract from Fintan O'Toole's book, Three Years in Hell, I urge you to do so.

It's easily the best account of the Labour Party's grim Corbyn misadventure that I've yet read.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2020/04/ ... n-effect/

By Oblomov
visage wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:29 pm
Back to crankery like putting on a comfy pair of trousers

What did Allotment Jesus actually do apart from sign a few petitions, wear a few placards turn up at a few benefit dinners? He was self-righteous slacktivism way before social media became a thing.

By Kreuzberger
Something deep suggests to me that if @Global moderators could chop this thread to the archive, all 854 pages of it, we would all be better off.

Be gone.
John Crace

Some people are just like that, though. I'm sure w[…]

Jacob Rees-Mogg

I think Boris would quite welcome two weeks withou[…]

London Mayoral Election

It gets better. https://twitter.com/ShaunBaileyUK[…]

One of them being a cousin of mine