Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 59.9 % ❤ 1.5 % :thumbsup: 5.5 % 😯 1.8 % :grinning: 22.4 % 🧥 1 % 🙏 3 % 😟 1.3 % :cry: 2.5 % :shit: 1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:19 pm
Apparently said story may not be true.

You’d be right
Multiple Facebook posts (here here) suggest UK Members of Parliament (MPs) awarded themselves an extra £10,000 in expenses in order to work from home during the coronavirus crisis.

This claim is false. In fact, an extra £10,000 has been made available by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) to MPs’ office costs budget, in order to cover the additional expenditure of setting up remote working for MPs and their staff as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak (here).

The posts were shared as an image on Facebook. Text is overlaid on a photo of Health Secretary Matt Hancock and reads: “NHS workers risking their lives refused any pay rise. MPs awarding themselves £10,000 extra expenses to ‘work from home’.” The reference to NHS pay likely relates to a 2017 amendment to the Queen’s speech proposing an end to a public sector pay cap. It was voted down in the House of Commons (here , here https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKCN21R2IX

By Oblomov
Cyclist wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:48 pm
That picture! He looks so fucking smug I just want to punch him.
Why are centrists so violent eh? This is one step away from another excursion in the middle east!

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:19 pm
Worth remembering that the famous photo of him being dragged off from picketing the South African embassy wasn't to do with him just being anti-apartheid, but with him claiming his operation was just as valid as the official (Peter Hain etc) one. Why he couldn't have just joined the ANC demo I don't know.

I’ll give it go; the main demo would have included liberals and social democrats who are too blind to understand that apartheid is a creation of Western imperialism and only the overthrow of capitalism in South Africa will bring about change. Jez therefore doesn’t want his purity infected so has to have a separate demo with Lyndsey German and John Pilger.
oboogie, Timbo liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I'd only come across this bloke a couple of days ago. Here he is again. He edits Jacobin, apparently.

I think the first sighting of "you can tell they're terrified of Corbyn" in 2015. I'd have thought 2020, with an 80 seat majority in the bag that this ship might have sailed.

By Tubby Isaacs
"Execorcising that spectre" would seem unnecessary given that Team Jez candidates just bombed badly.

I reckon young Daniel (is 95 the year he was born?) has his angle worked out. 5 years of "this is a terrible betrayal of Jez". Doubtless there are a few pamphlets from the mid 80s to help in this task. Any London Labour Briefings online, or have they been kept as obscure as possible to spare embarrassment to Jez?

By Tubby Isaacs
youngian wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:11 pm
Andy McDandy wrote:
Worth remembering that the famous photo of him being dragged off from picketing the South African embassy wasn't to do with him just being anti-apartheid, but with him claiming his operation was just as valid as the official (Peter Hain etc) one. Why he couldn't have just joined the ANC demo I don't know.

I’ll give it go; the main demo would have included liberals and social democrats who are too blind to understand that apartheid is a creation of Western imperialism and only the overthrow of capitalism in South Africa will bring about change. Jez therefore doesn’t want his purity infected so has to have a separate demo with Lyndsey German and John Pilger.
DId you see this?

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:40 pm
"Execorcising that spectre" would seem unnecessary given that Team Jez candidates just bombed badly.

I reckon young Daniel (is 95 the year he was born?) has his angle worked out. 5 years of "this is a terrible betrayal of Jez". Doubtless there are a few pamphlets from the mid 80s to help in this task. Any London Labour Briefings online, or have they been kept as obscure as possible to spare embarrassment to Jez?
Excepting them to show a modicum of humility was too much to ask was it?

By Tubby Isaacs
I liked Ed Miliband and was very saddened by his defeat. One nice Tory bloke who for some reason followed me on Twitter was very confident about the election and won some money on it, fair play. Was that the wider Tory view? I dunno. Whatever, but a defeat is a defeat, and I wasn't bothered about finding a moral victory in how "afraid" the Tories were of Miliband.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:02 pm
Excepting them to show a modicum of humility was too much to ask was it?
Yes. This is epic Trump level narcissism
Labour could have won 2017 election without 2016 PLP coup, Corbyn says
In his first interview since the election of Keir Starmer, the former Labour leader also tells the Benn Society of his support for mandatory reselection.

Corbyn said. “We were within a whisker of winning that general election.”
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... orbyn-says

By Tubby Isaacs
How is there a 2017 election at all if Labour are a laser-focussed united opposition?

They weren't withing a whisker at all. The Tories got 55 more seats than Labour. The Tories got 20 more seats than Labour and the SNP combined. And how do "Labour honours the referendum and keeps out Poles" and "the SNP will not allow Scotland to be dragged out of the EU against its will" work together anyway?
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:30 pm
I'd only come across this bloke a couple of days ago. Here he is again. He edits Jacobin, apparently.

I think the first sighting of "you can tell they're terrified of Corbyn" in 2015. I'd have thought 2020, with an 80 seat majority in the bag that this ship might have sailed.
I’m impressed how he read “The Tories now have somebody to be scared of” as “The Tories have been scared for the past 5 years by a man whose most notable ‘achievement’ was to turn a hung parliament into a thumping Tory majority”
Oblomov liked this
Also of note in that interview is he gives the game away in that they attempted to rig the system in their favour with easier trigger ballots and stacking the deck in the NEC, and had some success, and then still lost because they’d been so fucking dreadful.
mattomac, Oblomov liked this
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:43 pm
youngian wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:11 pm
Andy McDandy wrote:

DId you see this?

What astonishes me about that piece, is how for all the blather about the MSM out to get Corbyn. It was a a twitter user who was the one who did the digging behind that photo and showed the full story.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
Roll Call

There are also law clinics, which aren’t a b[…]

The Tories, Generally

Did he? I thought he didn’t do “gestur[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Tir on a toboggan! Have a read of this. htt[…]

Meanwhile in New Zealand

I'm no expert, but I think Jacina Ardern might jus[…]