Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 59.9 % ❤ 1.5 % :thumbsup: 5.5 % 😯 1.8 % :grinning: 22.4 % 🧥 1 % 🙏 3 % 😟 1.3 % :cry: 2.5 % :shit: 1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:Simplistic, easy-to-digest views that fit nicely with a youthful, perhaps naive view of the world?
Expanding on Boiler's post:

My half-formed first thoughts.

I read an article a couple of years ago about research into adolescence, and how many young people are not achieving mental maturity until they're well into their twenties, or even early thirties. We've all been teenagers, we can all remember a time when the world was black and white, when it was obvious what was wrong with it and equally obvious what should be done to fix it. Most of us grew out of that mindset by the end of our teenage years as we matured and gained a better understanding of the world around us. If those experts in that half-remembered article are correct, people are no longer carrying that simplistic worldview for a few years, but for a decade or more, so when they do finally achieve some sort of intellectual maturity that mindset is so deeply entrenched it will be very difficult to change it. Hence the appeal of Corbyn's Student Union politics and the inability of its adherents to change their views when presented with new information. And, of course, why supposed adults act like moody teenagers - they still *are* moody teenagers.

This, I think, also underpins the Retreat from Reason, and has given us the portmanteau word "kidult".
Malcolm Armsteen, Boiler, Oblomov and 3 others liked this

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Again, nothing that hasn't been said many times before, but Grandpa reminds the students who never in their hearts left what they call uni of their favourite lecturer, the one who spoke with passion about the romanticism of working-class solidarity, of the sit-ins when he was an under-graduate, of the sell-outs and establishment lackeys that have polluted the Labour movement since 1945. Because neither the lecturer who has spent his life in academia or Corbyn has ever had any real responsibility, never had to deal with situations that rely on compromise and has never had their opinions challenged, because they've always had a magic circle of like-minded followers assuring them that yes, the sun does revolve round the earth.
lord_kobel, Oblomov, oboogie liked this
Often, some kids think they know it all to the point of arrogance. Some grow out of it, some double down and attach themselves to older people who reaffirm that they are correct.

Often, those older people are the previous generation of said kids who never grow out of it.

Corbyn is the old kid on the block, attracting new kids who just want reassurance that they really are special, and really do see things “the way they really are” and are the cream of the crop.

And like cream, they are often rich and invariably thick.
Boiler, lord_kobel, Oblomov liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Jez is part of the Campaign Group who don't like the sacking of Long-Bailey, and I doubt he's happy with it. But in fairness to him, I can't see that he's gone in like McDonnell.

I was expecting him to be a huge nuisance, like Mrs Thatcher popping up to accuse John Major of "undoing what I have done" and all. But I wonder if he will.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:22 pm

I was expecting him to be a huge nuisance, like Mrs Thatcher popping up to accuse John Major of "undoing what I have done" and all. But I wonder if he will.
In that respect, it probably helps he never did anything much.
By visage
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Jez is part of the Campaign Group who don't like the sacking of Long-Bailey, and I doubt he's happy with it. But in fairness to him, I can't see that he's gone in like McDonnell.

He won't because he wants to be seen as the kindly elder statesman like Benn. But that won't stop him shit stirring behind the scenes
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I genuinely don't think he can be arsed. He strikes me as an inherently lazy individual.
I posited this question elsewhere and didn't get many serious answers. It's a genuine question, reignited by the sacking of Long-Bailey, why do so many otherwise apparently functional adults cleave to this man, who I find to be an idle old buffer without an original idea in his head, a dubious past and a pitiful attitude problem.

What is it about him that inspires such fanatical devotion? Especially among women?

Mod note: No need for three topics about the one guy
oboogie liked this
You overstep yourself, again.
The new thread was to separate this question from all the other issues being discussed.

Put it back as it was and stop playing tinpot dictator.
oboogie liked this

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:58 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

In that respect, it probably helps he never did anything much.
And that is a huge difference between Thatcher and Corbyn. Thatcher achieved lots and was succeeded by someone who achieved less.
Corbyn bellyached for decades about previous Labour leaders who were doing it all wrong and then, when his big opportunity to set the world on fire came, he dropped the matches and yet still came close to burning down the house*.

*Is that metaphor mixed enough for you all?

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
oboogie wrote:What happened here?
Some Moderator has been playing silly-buggers, apparently. Trying to prove s point or something.

@Global moderators Can we have this thread separated again so the stuff on it doesn't get mixed up with other stuff that isn't relevant? Ta.

Edit - make the attraction of Corbyn thread separate, I mean.
oboogie liked this
The Tories, Generally

Rees-Mogg says it's safe for MPs to come back to p[…]

Meanwhile in New Zealand

I'm imagining Banks telling a couple of The All Bl[…]

Roll Call

There are also law clinics, which aren’t a b[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Tir on a toboggan! Have a read of this. htt[…]