Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 59.4 % ❤ 1.6 % :thumbsup: 6.1 % 😯 1.9 % :grinning: 22.8 % 🧥 0.9 % 🙏 2.8 % 😟 1.2 % :cry: 2.3 % :shit: 0.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
This is all hypothetical, but I don't think "leader takes responsibility" works with the sort of thing I'm thinking of- ie some other people have done bad stuff, but no Jez fingerprints.That's more a political accountability thing- you're in charge, this shit happened, buck stops- like eg Lord Carrington over the Falklands. If Jez were still in charge now, then that might well be appropriate, but he isn't. Do you take the whip off somebody for having been useless in a job they've already resigned from? Probably not. I think too, with something like an EHRC investigation, its a judicial process. So if something isn't proven, then you have to take that as not guilty.

I take your point about the response to the Panorama programme.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:01 pm
That like Cameron, he'll have kept his fingerprints off the worst stuff the EHRC finds. We'll see.
Will they have him saying something antisemitic? No. He was always the blind eye turner, never the person who did or said anything.

Is he, however, stupid, petty and arrogant enough to have done something on record that might do for him? Absolutely. I’m thinking along the lines of something like authorising campaign money to be spent against Luciana Berger, or for his name to be on something saying Chris Williamson should be given the benefit of the doubt.

You can only keep your fingerprints of the worst stuff if you realise it’s the worst stuff. And he patently doesn’t get it still, so there’s a very good chance he has done something very silly and left his jammy mitts all over it.
oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:35 pm
We're not talking about a court of law, we're talking about a disciplinary committee of the NEC. I can't remember the details of disrepute - probably Abers can.
It's not a court of law, but there's a high level, quasi-judicial process with the EHRC. Would you cover the same ground with an internal disciplinary process? I don't see how that could have any credibility, unless there were new evidence.

But I take your other points.

By Andy McDandy
Ah but they're not Labour members, or real voters, or something. How many times did they get shot down over Twitter during the 5 year war?

Seriously, I know too many Corbynistas who claim that every Labour vote was one personally for Jez, and that any sort of appeal to floating voters is betrayal of the worst kind. That any day now the rising will begin. Whereas I see an electorate in much of the country that can stomach quite a lot of shit before grudgingly voting Not a Tory.
Timbo liked this
youngian wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:45 am
Yeh but
On a similar theme

https://averypublicsociologist.blogspot ... -fund.html
The rapid accumulation of Jeremy's defence fund isn't just a reaction against vindictive elites, it's a protest against the Labour leader too. For the last five years Labour was consumed by some of the fiercest infighting the party has ever seen. A half decade of salting the earth Labour grows in, and we're supposed to simply forget the role those who run the Labour Party now played or blame the left. True, back in 2015 the right predicted disaster and they strained every sinew to make sure that was the outcome. Sadly, there is no reckoning for these people. Some of the worst are now out of parliament, but are stacking up on jobs and enjoying their elevation to the House of Lords thanks to Tory preferment. None of them have atoned, none of them have apologised for destroying ours chances, none have been held responsible for letting Johnson waltz through long-held Labour seats and letting him back into Downing Street. In this context, Keir's surrender is not an example of setting factionalism aside and pressing for unity, but one where he's aligned himself with them - not that there was very much doubt - and looking to strike a new balance in the party on their terms. And if this means tens of thousands leaving the party, so much the better. The defence fund is a middle finger to all that, of the little people rebelling against their party betters and hoping a just outcome can be purchased for a few quid.

Keir is not making things easy for himself. With papers full of keyboard warriors demanding reckonings with and purges of the left, he needs to remember more is at risk than an army of enthusiastic door knockers, but of losing and seeing his left flank dissipate among the Greens, the Liberal Democrats, and the sectlets. And if they go, they act as negative multipliers on their own friends, networks, and cohorts. Not all of them live in big cities and help Labour clock up super majorities, but whose mobilisation is key if the party is interested in winning over scores of marginals. There was no evidence Keir understood this basic fact when he embarked on his leadership campaign, and he hasn't shown an inkling since. Enjoy the opinion polls for the moment. The path to defeat is a long one.

By Abernathy
Sadly, there is no reckoning for these people. Some of the worst are now out of parliament, but are stacking up on jobs and enjoying their elevation to the House of Lords thanks to Tory preferment.
Who is he talking about ?
Abernathy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:11 pm
Sadly, there is no reckoning for these people. Some of the worst are now out of parliament, but are stacking up on jobs and enjoying their elevation to the House of Lords thanks to Tory preferment.
Who is he talking about ?
He means Chuka Umunna

https://averypublicsociologist.blogspot ... -jobs.html
Labour, Generally.

Interview with her on Channel 4 News tonight.

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Not at all. It would be painted as Stalinist be[…]

Toby Young

https://mobile.twitter.com/codward333/status/12924[…]

Boris Johnson

Another Putinesque photo. Will the real dumbbell[…]