Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 59.9 % ❤ 1.6 % :thumbsup: 6.2 % 😯 1.8 % :grinning: 22.5 % 🧥 0.9 % 🙏 2.8 % 😟 1.1 % :cry: 2.3 % :shit: 0.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
No. There is already a schism. Between Labour and the Corbyn sect. Ridding the party of Corbyn and as many of his acolytes as possible is now essential. It will be another dramatic signal to electors that, yes, the party is safe again to vote for. And the thing is, these signals do need to have to be dramatic. Most of the public aren't watching, most of the time, and these are needed.

I really do think it will have to happen.
youngian liked this
Boiler wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:39 pm
Are you not concerned that this could cause a schism that would see the Labour vote divided?
Not in the least.

Because we would win back more than we would lose, many times over.
Abernathy liked this

By davidjay
At first I thought it would be better to just ignore him and let him sit in the corner sulking with his handful of worshippers, rather than risk a messy civil war. Now I think that if he can't be trusted to shut up and behave himself, get rid. We might lose a couple of MPs, a few constituencies might lose some activists, a few hundred very noisy party members will make a big fuss about leaving. And in their place it'll be our turn to use the sort of snappy, three word slogan that wins elections. Under New Management.
Abernathy, youngian, lambswool and 1 others liked this

By Boiler
Hope you folks are right; ever the pessimist, tents and urine come to mind. And the press love "divided Labour".

What there is now is unsustainable, but I am reminded of Andy Mac's post of the "don't care" factor.

By Abernathy
Boiler wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:10 pm
Hope you folks are right; ever the pessimist, tents and urine come to mind. And the press love "divided Labour".

What there is now is unsustainable, but I am reminded of Andy Mac's post of the "don't care" factor.
The key point, my dear Boiler, is that things re:Jeremy Corbyn are very different from when moves were made to deselect him in Islington (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ved-corbyn ).

Corbyn has a much higher profile now as the former leader and a sect of several thousand worshippers still in the party. It is clear that he wants to keep waging a guerrilla war against Starmer's perceived "centrism". He is capable of, and will, do the party enormous damage beyond the depth charges he left for Starmer to deal with on his eventual departure from the leader's office in the form of the leaked unredacted "report" and the EHRC investigation. As such, he will cause real damage to the party's prospects of a return to government.

His continuation in the party is quite intolerable. I want him gone.
oboogie, youngian liked this

By Andy McDandy
Also remember that the press love characters and stories. No longer leader, Corbyn provides both. Given the opportunity to portray Labour as an unfolding soap opera, full of 2 dimensional characters such as Stoic Starmer and Commie Corbyn, they're not going to pass it up.

Yes, better to expel him, challenge his acolytes to form the new left wing party everyone is apparently crying out for, and subsequently answer any Corbyn related questions with either the 3 word slogan of "under new management", or 4 letters - N.M.F.P.
youngian, Malcolm Armsteen, lambswool and 2 others liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
At first I thought it would be better to just ignore him and let him sit in the corner sulking with his handful of worshippers, rather than risk a messy civil war.

I also held that view but no longer. I’m happy to say I underestimated the loathing for Corbyn out there. In 2017 the worst was ‘nice chap but not up to the job’ but didn’t realise until GE2019 the penny had dropped among so many voters as to what an arsehole and sinister figure he is. There’s no way kicking Corbyn out will damage Labour’s prospects.
oboogie liked this

By Boiler
Andy McDandy wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:52 am
Yes, better to expel him, challenge his acolytes to form the new left wing party everyone is apparently crying out for, and subsequently answer any Corbyn related questions with either the 3 word slogan of "under new management", or 4 letters - N.M.F.P.
If expulsion is to be done there has to be an absolutely irrefutable reason to do so, because we've now all seen the power of crowdfunding to mount costly legal challenges to political decisions.
I think the ideal scenario is that something comes out in the reports that makes his continued membership untenable so he has to resign and the matter is taken out of Starmer's hands. I don't care if it's reluctantly or whatever, I want him to have to accept responsibility in some way for turning a blind eye and letting people off the hook. Otherwise he'll be a martyr for the hardcore loons for years.
oboogie liked this
Priti Patel

As a woman of Asian heritage in the Tory party, sh[…]

If ever you wanted to assess the intelligence, kno[…]

The only thing Farage would be noted for if he was[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Isn't there such a thing as legitimate editorial c[…]