Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 59.2 % ❤ 1.6 % :thumbsup: 6.3 % 😯 2.5 % :grinning: 22.5 % 🧥 0.9 % 🙏 2.7 % 😟 1.1 % :cry: 2.3 % :shit: 0.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
#620195
Oblomov wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:38 am
Quite, his appearance at Glastonbury 2017 being greeted with that ghastly "OH JEREMY CORBYN" chant was his "messiah-upon-the-mount" moment
I’m still amazed they never figured out this was as much pisstake as anything.
 
By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#620197
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:44 pm
Abernathy wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:13 pm
Well, impressive, if that's the word, for yet another iteration of the futile vanity that was such a defining characteristic of Corbyn's term as leader.

Ironic that most or all of it is likely to go to paying damages to Mr. Ware.
Is it likely?

Does Ware want to go all the way? Is he comfortable with everything he'd need to release to Team Jez under discovery?
Well, I haven't got an inside track on John Ware's legal advice, but he seems fairly confident. As someone else pointed out, Panorama's legal team aren't exactly amateurs. Everything, but everything, in that show will have been checked and double-checked and even triple-checked
as completely watertight, so I'd imagine Mr Ware would be fine with whatever disclosure was required.

https://www.thejc.com/comment/opinion/t ... s-1.501782
oboogie liked this
#620238
Also, who is most likely to be worried about discovery - the career investigative journalist, or the inept former party leader who essentially keeps his crumpled suits in an ossuary, and his equally inept team? They openly failed to support Jewish MPs, female MPs, and MPs who they felt weren't sufficiently loyal. It's fact they tried to let off cranks like Williamson and Livingstone with slaps on the wrist. And they were so inept they leaked their own rambling report even though their own lawyer said it was a terrible idea to do so. So if that happened in the open, imagine what stuff went on behind the scenes...
oboogie, youngian liked this
#620246
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:16 am
I expect all politicians are careful in this sort of stuff nowadays.
Ones with some sense, yes. Ones who didn't expect to get where they got, and dished out jobs to all their mates on loyalty not skill...who knows? It's not like reports of LOTO's office being utterly chaotic are rare. If they couldn't handle getting out a press release on the same day something happened (whereas in contrast Starmer's team stared doing this within *minutes* of things happening pretty much from day 1), and were constantly contradicting each other, I wouldn't find it a big stretch to say that disorganisation was rife elsewhere too.
Last edited by crabcakes_windermere on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
oboogie, Timbo liked this
 
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#620254
Journalists who have risen through the ranks and understand the intricacies of their profession know that. "Get it legalled" is as much a mantra as "check your facts", or should be.

Columnists and editorial writers appointed based on their views and mateyness with the editor back in the Oxford Soggy Biscuit Society and told not to worry, just knock out a few words each week and see you for drinkies later, piece of piss this job, do not.
#620275
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 pm
We await Forde, but Jez seems to have kept his fingerprints off this leaked report, even though it was obviously done for his benefit.

I think Jez is a populist lightweight but I don't think he's stupid.
I agree he's not stupid (not that I think he's that bright either, mind), but he is arrogant and that can mean mistakes because when you think you're unquestionably right you might not know to not leave a trail showing you're wrong because it's hard to not do what you can't conceive of existing. And some people in his team definitely *are* stupid. Which is why discovery might be as surprising for him as anyone else, and not in a good way (for him).

Put it this way - would you feel confident knowing that people of the intellectual calibre of Richard Burgon might be questioned about stuff you're involved in?
oboogie liked this
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#620279
but he is arrogant and that can mean mistakes because when you think you're unquestionably right you might not know to not leave a trail showing you're wrong because it's hard to not do what you can't conceive of existing.

That’s not a very a good defence of Corbyn not being stupid. He hasn’t had many original thoughts in 45 years and most of them are Tony Benn and Salvador Allende’s sloppy left overs.
oboogie, Oblomov liked this
 
By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#620281
Jez's faction are people who think Hilda Murrell was murdered by MI5 (rather than, you know, the burglar serving life for it who admits he was there but says his brother killed her). I don't think this is a group who are reckless about secrecy.

Ware though could have a problem if he's left stuff out of his programme that makes Jez look better.
  • 1
  • 883
  • 884
  • 885
  • 886
  • 887
  • 889
Education Redux

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/sep/27/[…]

Sundry far-right groups and parties.

Judeo-Christian - white. Except: visit any […]

We had cabinet office people on campus last Wednes[…]

US election 2020

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/131036110[…]