Topics about the Labour Party
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
It may well be the case that Kuenssberg would have done the same were it a Tory (though I doubt with as much relish) but that still makes it wrong. She's the political editor, not someone working for Panorama.

And if anyone's in doubt about her Establishment credentials:
Wiki wrote:The daughter of Scottish businessman Nick Kuenssberg, OBE, and his wife Sally Kuenssberg, CBE, her paternal grandfather was German-born Dr. Ekkehard von Kuenssberg, a founder and president of the Royal College of General Practitioners. Her maternal grandfather was Lord Robertson who was a High Court of Justiciary judge. Her great-uncle was Sir James Robertson, the last colonial Governor-General of Nigeria.

Kuenssberg was born in Italy, while her father was assigned there by Coats Viyella. She grew up in Glasgow, with her brother and sister, and attended Laurel Bank School, an independent girls' school.

Kuenssberg studied history at the University of Edinburgh, followed by a journalism course at Georgetown University in Washington D.C., where she worked on an NBC News political programme.
Soon it'll be protests outside the BBC. We really are becoming more and more like the SNP.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/me ... ts-row-bbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What happened was wrong, it doesn't matter who did it or what colour the rosette on the guy was. It shouldn't have been allowed to happen. Certainly not at any media organisation which takes itself seriously.

LJB, I think you're letting your hatred blind you on this subject.
A scoop is uncovering a story, not effectively engineering one by giving someone who has motive the means. Otherwise you'd have reporters wandering about with handguns waiting to arm every disgruntled passer by they see in the hope of getting first dibs on a shooting story.

What was done was out of line. Other shitty action or not by Corbyn's press bods - whether it made it worse or better or whatever your particular opinion is - is irrelevant to this fact. This is a Tory-leaning employee who should be able to act with impartiality in her role clearly not doing that and absolutely gifting one party leader an opportunity to score points against his opposite number. Some people on here may not like that opposite number, but if they actually support the party they allegedly do then they should be big enough to recognise the danger of not pursuing this, because at some point possibly sooner rather than later someone they DO like might be that opposite number - but if the Tories think they can now get away with this it'll happen again and again and we may as well just invite Rupert in to kick off Fox News UK right now and give up any hope of having impartiality in any media.

The enemy of your enemy is not always your friend - sometimes they're just an even bigger fucking enemy.
Littlejohn's brain wrote:If she'd done this to a Tory you wouldn't be complaining.
Actually I would, because it would be exceptionally harmful to the BBC still and THAT is my main concern. And despite what you may think, I've been defending the BBC against a very keen Corbyn fan elsewhere this very evening as they now see it as a good reason to scrap it.

So for the final time, get your absurd blinkers off, look at the bigger picture and realise this is a bad thing. Not because someone attacked Corbyn, but because of someone who should have been neutral enabling that attack to be far more damaging by throwing any suggestion of impartiality out of the window.

This is someone who has relentlessly focused on a minor reshuffle rather than the whole host of political issues going on at present, and that focus has been in an overwhelmingly negative light. If you genuinely think that's perfectly OK simply because you want Corbyn out of a job then I despair.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 04026.html

Another one bites the dust. This isn't even a pattern (seems McGovern took umbrage at John McConnell's dismissal of McFadden and co as a right wing clique (and you do have to say that this gives genuine insight into why McConnell had to abandon his career in the diplomatic corps).

Elsewhere, concerns are raised about the overall impression on the electorate thus far of Corbyn as leader, and the impression is gaining ground that public opinion seems to crystallising around the notion that our leader isn't all that competent - which could be fatal in electoral terms.

A telling observation is that comparing Corbyn's leadership to that of IDS's leadership of the Tories. Within the first few months of Nosferatu's leadership, the irreversible impression had formed in the public eye that "The Quiet Man" was a useless pillock as a party leader. The Tories, as history records, then moved to take IDS out and replace him with Howard. Of course they lost under Howard too, but you do get the drift.
McDonnell's remarks about Progress were bang out of order. Meanwhile on Twitter Mcgovern is getting a bucket of shit poured over her for committing the heresy of criticizing the leadership.
This appears to be a non-story anyway to be honest.
A Labour Party spokesman said: "Alison McGovern was invited to a discussion on child poverty but the initiative has not been launched or confirmed.

"She is resigning from something that doesn't exist."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35273156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Right now, I'm thinking my joining the Labour party was an utter waste of time and money. On the one side you have a leadership with good intentions but without the skill and talent to back a lot of it up and hence an inability to land killer blows on what is a fairly weak and talentless Tory govt., a habit of putting ideology before electability to a damaging degree, and a rabid following that seem to like to engage in witch hunts and partisan behaviour. And on the other side you have a group of people with good intentions who do have the skill to get elected but in many cases also have the blue Labour taint of Blair, the unshakeable look of career politicians at a time when the electorate they need to engage with could not be less interested in such people, an inability to stop apologising and thus gifting the Tories easy wins and an apparent inability to offer any alternative that feels like an alternative. And a rabid following blah blah blah.

Corbyn either has to realise he's a liability and go - and do so with the grace that would prevent a backlash, or be proven a liability by a disastrous result and then a decent candidate elected (of which there are probably 1 or 2 possibilities at most), and the rest of the party has to be big enough to not then see this as an opportunity to engage in their own revenge witch hunts. Ideally a new leader would give Corbyn a shadow cabinet post to retain what he is good at - connecting with ordinary people because he comes over as a non-politician - and temper the immediate anger that someone with such a mandate to lead the party has had to step down.

I can't see any of that happening. What I can see happening is both sides getting entrenched and further polarised, the sight of the common enemy lost, the sight of the average man (and woman) who should be voting Labour lost, the sight of any middle ground and cooperation lost, and the Tories walking into another 5 years effectively unopposed in England.

Depressing.

TL;DR? This:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
from your link above
Martin Fenge ‏@Fenge1 2h2 hours ago

@davidschneider Corbyn can't win; have to sort the leader before even thinking about the Tories.
0 retweets 1 like
That tweet gives some insight into the "moderates'" priorities.
crabcakes_windermere wrote:Right now, I'm thinking my joining the Labour party was an utter waste of time and money. On the one side you have a leadership with good intentions but without the skill and talent to back a lot of it up and hence an inability to land killer blows on what is a fairly weak and talentless Tory govt., a habit of putting ideology before electability to a damaging degree, and a rabid following that seem to like to engage in witch hunts and partisan behaviour. And on the other side you have a group of people with good intentions who do have the skill to get elected but in many cases also have the blue Labour taint of Blair, the unshakeable look of career politicians at a time when the electorate they need to engage with could not be less interested in such people, an inability to stop apologising and thus gifting the Tories easy wins and an apparent inability to offer any alternative that feels like an alternative. And a rabid following blah blah blah.
You also have people like the member I was speaking to this morning (our agent, in fact, and the person who organises leafletting and other similar stuff). It is getting increasingly difficult to get people out to work for the party. The new members are pretty unengaged, even though we have tried to engage them, many of them just bring bad habits from wherever they were before (a three-page motion on supporting the NHS - really?). The young members tend not to be too extreme as far as I can see, but they don't have a habit of working for the party and besides many are very busy keeping the wolf from the door.

Neither I nor the agent would identify with either wing of the arguments at the moment. We have been out in all weathers for all leaders because we support the party, not a transient policy position.

I'm pretty certain that covers the vast majority, an ageing activist base and a new, enthusiastic non-activist membership. Very frustrated. We've got an election to win.
mikey mikey wrote:from your link above
Martin Fenge ‏@Fenge1 2h2 hours ago

@davidschneider Corbyn can't win; have to sort the leader before even thinking about the Tories.
0 retweets 1 like
That tweet gives some insight into the "moderates'" priorities.
What, accuracy and a desire to sort your own shit out before you can hope to do anything else?
The Tories, Generally

New Worst Prime Minister in History set to be in[…]

Labour, Generally.

Righto! I’ve got him blocked so wouldn&rsqu[…]

Claire Fox

Can only see Rochdale and Wigan turnout in. Righ[…]

Euro Elections 2019

Rather amusing for all those Europe's going to fal[…]