•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Whilst the part-time comrades sneer, it is useful to remind ourselves that the Labour government 1997-2010 did actually d a few good things in amongst grinding the faces of leftwingers into the neocon dust beneath their heels.

Here's 50 of them.

Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.
Low mortgage rates.
Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52.
Over 14,000 more police in England and Wales.
Cut overall crime by 32 per cent.
Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools.
Young people achieving some of the best ever results at 14, 16, and 18.
Funding for every pupil in England has doubled.
Employment at its highest level ever.
Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.
85,000 more nurses.
32,000 more doctors.
Brought back matrons to hospital wards.
Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.
Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.
Fathers now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.
NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice.
Gift aid was worth £828 million to charities last year (2010).
Restored city-wide government to London.
Record number of students in higher education.
Child benefit up 26 per cent since 1997.
Delivered 2,200 Sure Start Children's Centres.
Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
£200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s.
On course to exceed our Kyoto target for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland.
Over 36,000 more teachers in England and 274,000 more support staff and teaching assistants.
All full time workers now have a right to 24 days paid holiday.
A million pensioners lifted out of poverty
600,000 children lifted out of relative poverty.
Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.
Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships.
Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard.
Inpatient waiting lists down by over half a million since 1997.
Banned fox hunting.
Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since before the industrial revolution.
Free TV licences for over-75s.
Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals.
Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.
Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.
New Deal – helped over 1.8 million people into work.
Over 3 million child trust funds have been started.
Free eye test for over 60s.
More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.
Free entry to national museums and galleries.
Overseas aid budget more than doubled.
Heart disease deaths down by 150,000 and cancer deaths down by 50,000.
Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.
Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.
Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.

By Projective Unity
Membership Days
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Whilst the part-time comrades sneer, it is useful to remind ourselves that the Labour government 1997-2010 did actually d a few good things in amongst grinding the faces of leftwingers into the neocon dust beneath their heels.

Here's 50 of them.

Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.
Low mortgage rates.
Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52.
Over 14,000 more police in England and Wales.
Cut overall crime by 32 per cent.
Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools.
Young people achieving some of the best ever results at 14, 16, and 18.
Funding for every pupil in England has doubled.
Employment at its highest level ever.
Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.
85,000 more nurses.
32,000 more doctors.
Brought back matrons to hospital wards.
Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.
Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.
Fathers now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.
NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice.
Gift aid was worth £828 million to charities last year (2010).
Restored city-wide government to London.
Record number of students in higher education.
Child benefit up 26 per cent since 1997.
Delivered 2,200 Sure Start Children's Centres.
Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
£200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s.
On course to exceed our Kyoto target for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland.
Over 36,000 more teachers in England and 274,000 more support staff and teaching assistants.
All full time workers now have a right to 24 days paid holiday.
A million pensioners lifted out of poverty
600,000 children lifted out of relative poverty.
Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.
Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships.
Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard.
Inpatient waiting lists down by over half a million since 1997.
Banned fox hunting.
Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since before the industrial revolution.
Free TV licences for over-75s.
Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals.
Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.
Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.
New Deal – helped over 1.8 million people into work.
Over 3 million child trust funds have been started.
Free eye test for over 60s.
More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.
Free entry to national museums and galleries.
Overseas aid budget more than doubled.
Heart disease deaths down by 150,000 and cancer deaths down by 50,000.
Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.
Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.
Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.
Ooooooooh handbags. How long are we going to have to put up with the carping? Corbyn won fair and square - #dealwithit

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Projective Unity wrote: Ooooooooh handbags. How long are we going to have to put up with the carping? Corbyn won fair and square - #dealwithit
You are now officially taking the piss, right? This is a list of socially responsible and progressive, long-term initiatives that the last Labour government achieved and to which the present pack of rats is systematically taking a red marker-pen.

There was much wrong with that government - I'll happily list my main gripes - but no one on the left is going to disagree with anything on that list unless it is to say that they didn't go far enough. Had Brown called an election at the right time, that list would have been extended,

Here's a thing, Get behind what the Labour Party can do and is proven to be able to achieve when united and in a position of influence. Anything else is just a circle jerk.

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:You are now officially taking the piss, right? This is a list of socially responsible and progressive, long-term initiatives that the last Labour government achieved and to which the present pack of rats is systematically taking a red marker-pen.

There was much wrong with that government - I'll happily list my main gripes - but no one on the left is going to disagree with anything on that list unless it is to say that they didn't go far enough. Had Brown called an election at the right time, that list would have been extended,

Here's a thing, Get behind what the Labour Party can do and is proven to be able to achieve when united and in a position of influence. Anything else is just a circle jerk.
I would say from personal experience that New Deal was a load of wank that did sweet FA for my situation of the time, made it worse in financial terms, in fact, but I do know some musicians it helped a wee bit (British Sea Power, for example).

I think PU's "handbags" line was regarding the "part time Comrades" quip in the OP... but I will say reading posts on here over the last few days has really put me off joining the Labour party. Seems to be less a circle jerk as a massive bitch-slapping contest, one observed by a laughing and pointing Tories. Corbyn, if he's got any leadership chops, needs to step in and tell all you kids to calm the fuck down and start slinging it at the real enemy. Here's hoping.
Last edited by D.C. Harrison on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By mikey mikey
Kreuzberger wrote: Get behind what the Labour Party can do and is proven to be able to achieve when united
That goes for everyone still calling themselves a Labour supporter, right?

One thing I would mention is that many of those policies of the last Labour governments would be far left of the Labour "modernisers" of 2015.

By Agnes
Membership Days Posts
I think a lot of the problem, Malcolm, may be that people now just take this stuff for granted. For example I'm 32 - as long as I've been an adult I've been able to ring up NHS Direct when I'm worried (and it's invaluable for people with unpredictable long-term health conditions), whenever I've worked I've been paid the minimum wage; younger people simply don't know anything else. I can predict with a reasonable degree of certainty that this is going to be caricatured as 'you proles should vote for us forever out of gratitude for everything we've done for you.'

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
D.C. Harrison wrote:
Kreuzberger wrote:You are now officially taking the piss, right? This is a list of socially responsible and progressive, long-term initiatives that the last Labour government achieved and to which the present pack of rats is systematically taking a red marker-pen.

I would say from personal experience that New Deal was a load of wank that did sweet FA for my situation of the time, made it worse in financial terms, in fact, but I do know some musicians it helped a wee bit (British Sea Power, for example).

I think PU's "handbags" line was regarding the "part time Comrades" quip in the OP... but I will say reading posts on here over the last few days has really put me off joining the Labour party. Seems to be less a circle jerk as a massive bitch-slapping contest, one observed by a laughing and pointing Tories. Corbyn, if he's got any leadership chops, needs to step in and tell all your kids to calm the fuck down and start slinging it at the real enemy. Here's hoping.
My kids? I think not. I was only pro-Corbyn for the shake up factor and I think that that has been achieved. Build on Labour's legacy, rebut the tory lies and galvanise the apathetic middle. That is out best chance right now.

Heard the language of the last few days? Labour is now actively referring to itself as a "movement" at every opportunity. That is potentially the silver bullet.

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:My kids? I think not. I was only pro-Corbyn for the shake up factor and I think that that has been achieved. Build on Labour's legacy, rebut the tory lies and galvanise the apathetic middle. That is out best chance right now.

Heard the language of the last few days? Labour is now actively referring to itself as a "movement" at every opportunity. That is potentially the silver bullet.
Typo by me - blame mind-bending (prescribed) drugs that make me a bit dozy this time o'night. It should be "you kids", referring to everyone.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
mikey mikey wrote:One thing I would mention is that many of those policies of the last Labour governments would be far left of the Labour "modernisers" of 2015.
Exactly. I was brewing just that thought as I was banging out that post and thinking about how "Blairite" has become an insult. Or course it has now become a byword for "expediency" and that is what the party has has moved on from.

Come May 2020 though, Blair's social legacy will be the blueprint for urgent, remedial action.
Meanwhile in America

I think America is big enough to survive Trump but[…]

Richard Littlejohn

My impoverished classmate seems to have left beh[…]

The Sun

https://i.postimg.cc/2SQfhbZH/image.jpg

Daily Express headline today

All shits. Let's unite the country!