Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 62.2 % ❤ 2.7 % :thumbsup: 10.8 % :grinning: 8.1 % 🙏 2.7 % 😟 2.7 % :shit: 10.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
More praise for Jess in the Independent :

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/je ... 552248566

Only Jess Phillips can save the Labour Party – Corbyn would be mad to let her go

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Weird that right wing papers keep bigging totally normal council pop drinker Jess Philips. Guess she really is good for the working class.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
"if the labour party doesnt stand for what I care about it doesn't matter" doesn't sound as good as you think it does.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Nah mate, go read it again. It's possible to respect a group and what they fight for without seeing their cause as your cause. Phillips is saying if Labour doesn't stand for what she stands for, that they're worthless. That's the exact sort of "what about ME?" Politics I've come to expect from Jess Phillips.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
That Jess Phillips quote is all over the place today, and an absolute example of what a fucking mess the Labour Party is given Corbyn's acolytes genuinely don't see that here's someone sticking with it even when they're constantly being told to go and they have serious, justifiable concerns about the ability and the motives of the leadership.

She's spot on though. The word Labour, and a logo, are meaningless if what it stands for has changed from representing the many to being a vehicle for the selfish beliefs of a few senior members. And that's pretty much where we are - the leadership are constantly undermining the party's own chosen policy, there are serious issues with objectivity in the face of clear and open bigotry from some members, and the leader himself is basically a front for an unelected advisor who is an apologist for a man who thinks international diplomacy is poisoning people he doesn't like on foreign soil and then getting his puppet news service to mock the country it happened in.

People deliberately misquoting her and saying it isn't a good look should be aware their open, unquestioning, unblinking support for a frankly terrible state of affairs with an inept old grump at the helm is a considerably worse one, and needs no disingenuous manipulation to portray it. Phillips isn't saying "What about me?", she's saying "what about US?" - a plea that will likely fall on deaf ears, because what matters now isn't the many, but the few. The few at the top and their followers, and anyone with a mind of their own let alone a legitimate criticism cannot be tolerated.
lord_kobel, Timbo, Malcolm Armsteen and 1 others liked this

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Winegums wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:15 am
"if the labour party doesnt stand for what I care about it doesn't matter" doesn't sound as good as you think it does.
Out of interest were you saying this to all the people who left Labour when Blair was leader but came back when Corbyn was? The exact same principle applies, although I suspect you weren't saying anything of the sort.
mattomac liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I've never seen Jess Phillips as top job material but with a lack of contenders stepping up to fill Labour's leadership vacuum its not surprising she's bagging all the praise. Corbyn is probably in a relatively strong position with the PLP as the Leave seat quiet lifers rightly trust him to see through Brexit. I think Yardley was Leave but they have an MP not prepared to bullshit them about Jobs Brexit bonuses. I have no idea how that's going down with her constituents but voters like someone who knows where they're going. Its called leadership.

Wish I'd thought of that line. The observation that neither May and Corbyn can reach out to people beyond their tribe is spot on. Both are populists who don't know how to be popular.
She said: ‘I think I’d be a good Prime Minister. Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn are of a bygone era. It’s like The Good Life – she’s Margot, he’s Tom.

‘There’s an old-fashionedness about them. Their politics are so 70s – it’s hate migrants, love miners. They’re both in this terrible situation where they’re very traditional, very stubborn, bloody difficult people and they can’t assimilate with groups of people who aren’t like them – or admit when they’ve made mistakes.’
Abernathy liked this
By visage
Membership Days Posts
I think whenever a leader is doing poorly theres a natural tendency to gravitate towards their opposite.

So warm, down to earth, telling-it-like-it-is pragmatist Jess Phillips looks attractive in comparison to the aloof dogmatic gnomic ideologue that is Jeremy Corbyn.
lord_kobel, mattomac liked this

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
https://off-guardian.org/2019/03/15/jes ... xO4RgYAo40

Interesting summary of the love bombing from the right wing media are Jess has received the last week or so. I think the summary is pretty on point - the right have pinned their hopes on her as a product of there being nobody else left.
Euro Elections 2019

... i.e. a sharp kick to the nethers for Labo[…]

Labour, Generally.

It’s OK everyone, apparently it’s Tom […]

Theresa May

That's all those wanting to be the next PM can see[…]

Claire Fox

She's top of the list, sadly. Nigel Farage an[…]