Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 60 % ❤ 1.5 % :thumbsup: 7.7 % :grinning: 18.5 % 🙏 4.6 % 😟 1.5 % :shit: 6.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Keir Starmer has given Jess a job as a shadow junior minister in the Home Office, covering domestic violence and safeguarding. No better person for the job. Congratulations, Jess !

[go fuck yourself, bogus doctor]
lord_kobel, Malcolm Armsteen, Cyclist and 4 others liked this

By davidjay
Abernathy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:17 pm
Keir Starmer has given Jess a job as a shadow junior minister in the Home Office, covering domestic violence and safeguarding. No better person for the job. Congratulations, Jess !

[go fuck yourself, bogus doctor]
Well done keir. Anything more high profile is probably a bit risky early on.
oboogie liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
I think Heard and Depp both seem pretty fucked up so I'm not sure anyone is going to come out smelling of roses, but is MP who has always taken an interest in domestic abuse cases taking an interest in an alleged case of domestic abuse really a fucking shocker?

It'd be like someone claiming David Lammy is bandwagoning for getting involved with BLM.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I don’t know what happened in the glamorous homes of Amber Heard and Johnny Depp.

They are also not vicious monsters who roam their workplaces, friends’ parties and the local transport network lashing out at everyone. If they were, we would have got much better at spotting them. In the UK, there are in any year about 2.6 million people who suffer domestic abuse, so maybe, just maybe, we might have noticed if all those perpetrators were kicking off all of the time. https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jo ... 26081.html
'Domestic abusers can be the coolest guy in the room' isn't a revelatory observation and not a wise one for a shadow cabinet member to make while this trial is still in progress even if it is a civil one with no jury. I can't see that Jess is in contempt of court or libelling Depp but sailing close to the wind.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:07 pm
I don’t know what happened in the glamorous homes of Amber Heard and Johnny Depp.

They are also not vicious monsters who roam their workplaces, friends’ parties and the local transport network lashing out at everyone. If they were, we would have got much better at spotting them. In the UK, there are in any year about 2.6 million people who suffer domestic abuse, so maybe, just maybe, we might have noticed if all those perpetrators were kicking off all of the time. https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jo ... 26081.html
'Domestic abusers can be the coolest guy in the room' isn't a revelatory observation and not a wise one for a shadow cabinet member to make while this trial is still in progress even if it is a civil one with no jury. I can't see that Jess is in contempt of court or libelling Depp but sailing close to the wind.
Except they aren't accusing her of that but of making it all abut herelf and of taking Heard's side.

By oboogie
visage wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:20 pm

Have these fuckers ever heard of idioms?
No. Or at least, they pretend they haven't. Explaining what an idiom is squirming and using weasel words to excuse a violent sociopath - or so I'm told.

By davidjay
visage wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:20 pm
I see they're wheeling out the old 'She advocated violence against Jeremy' line.

Have these fuckers ever heard of idioms?
The people who are usually the nastiest are invariably the quickest to take everyone else literally. See also "You're the real racists".

By crabcakes_windermere
The Red Arrow wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:02 pm
Yo, Crabsie! Would you read the article (maybe you have already) and get back to us? I'd appreciate your balanced input. Ta.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jo ... 26081.html
I think the gist is fair enough - that witnesses saying Depp is a nice guy is irrelevant, as it doesn't matter what he's done the rest of his life if he cracks on one occasion let alone multiple ones. And also that someone liking a drink or being difficult doesn't excuse any abuse they get. It's got a few clumsy bits though (on first reading, I thought she was saying something about Heard having a busted ankle).

That said, I don't think it's remotely the self-promotional puff piece the Corbyn fans claim it is either, and it's telling to see what they'll ignore (an important message about how domestic abuse cases are framed in the media) to take the opportunity to have a go at an "enemy". Writing about why you can relate to something personally before you go on to discuss the thing itself is hardly novel.

Ironically, they've probably drawn more attention to it by making out it's something it isn't than if they'd decided not to take every last opportunity to snipe at someone they don't like. Thus raising JP's profile, making themselves look petty and out of touch, and also awareness of the media's skewed portrayal of abuse cases.

So...well done, I guess?

By crabcakes_windermere
davidjay wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:41 pm
The people who are usually the nastiest are invariably the quickest to take everyone else literally. See also "You're the real racists".
Apropos of nothing, remember when Winegums pretended to not understand the concept of sarcasm so he could take something clearly a joke absolutely literally and have a go at - oh, what a remarkable coincidence - Jess Phillips?
Abernathy liked this

By Andy McDandy
Once had this conversation with someone, using the parallel of film ratings.

"X is a cunt who deserves to gerrin sea, in a bin, which is on fire, and then die in that fire" is clearly more abstract and whimsical than "You're gonna get your fucking heads kicked in". One can be translated into physical action much easier than the other. Just as Arnie mowing down a zillion mooks with a ray gun is more outlandish and harder to replicate than Ray Winstone shivving Gary Oldman with a sharpened spoon in Welcome to the Shitbox.

OK, there are some grey areas, you may say. But are there really? Some might say that making a vague threat to bomb an airport should be taken lightly, as it's hard to actually do. Others might say that people have made bomb threats, both real and hoax, and that given that the UK has been living with terrorism for the best part of 50 years, people really ought not to think of a bomb hoax as so outlandish any reasonable person would dismiss it.

With politics, the problem seems to be that a) it's full of violent imagery and idiom already, and b) it's full of cunts who will take any opportunity to play the fucking victim, especially if they can make a rival look bad. "Ah, but Jo Cox", I hear people cry, as if her death meant an absolute licence to do whatever. "Jo Cox believed in free speech, so if you try to silence me you're shitting on her memory!". I seem to remember Ian Gow MP was quite keen on speaking his mind, but his murder wasn't seized upon as some seismic event. People invoking her name seem to always miss out the bit about finding common ground between different camps and building on it. Probably because twitter spats are easier and more fun. If you're a prick.

I've just seen a post from a Facebook friend wherein they moan about the difficulty of finding a sew-on pride flag that they can put on their Harry Potter backpack, that represents their sexuality ("woman interested in male-presenting but not necessarily male") while also showing that they don't agree with JK Rowling's apparent views on trans issues, so any trans person who sees them thinks of them as an ally, as opposed to a fucking overgrown kid. Apparently "buy a new fucking backpack that isn't a fucking Harry Potter bag, you're 35 for crying out loud" wasn't a helpful answer.

Seriously, I get the whole extended childhood thing. I'm 43 and I Larp, play Warhammer, watch anime films, and read comics. But seriously, put some fucking adults back in charge.
The Trump Presidency

Adolph is an eccentric and frequently horribly of[…]

The Tories, Generally

Scum is too good for them.

Marina Hyde - woman of fire

Only this government could miss the open goal of […]

US election 2020

Good stuff here about the implications of down bal[…]