Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 60.6 % ❤ 1.5 % :thumbsup: 7.6 % :grinning: 18.2 % 🙏 4.5 % 😟 1.5 % :shit: 6.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:25 pm
Ian, I'm afraid I have no idea what that means.
Pretty sure Ian means that Phillips prioritises getting into government and enacting longstanding, meaningful change rather than devoting her entire career to being a backbench blowhard.
oboogie liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Arrowhead wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:07 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:25 pm
Ian, I'm afraid I have no idea what that means.
Pretty sure Ian means that Phillips prioritises getting into government and enacting longstanding, meaningful change rather than devoting her entire career to being a backbench blowhard.
Spot on
Arrowhead, oboogie liked this

By davidjay
The three quiders said she wasn't going to be re-selected. She was re-selected almost unanimously. The rabid right said she was going to lose the election. She won another five-figure majority in a seat that was Lib Dem five years ago. One of that lot need to wise up and realise that the only way we will ever win power again is with more Jess Phillips'.
oboogie liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
It’s important to get these sort of statements in now, because we know what’s coming. It’s already happening in Kent, where people are waking up with lorry parks being built next door and bandying the word “betrayal” about.

People are going to find that the brexit they were expecting is never coming, and the Brexit they were told was fearmongering is reality. Telling them they’re fucking idiots will do nothing more than give a brief endorphin hit and make them bitter. Saying you’re willing to help them and making sure they know exactly whose fault this all is builds bridges and turns their anger on the real culprits.
oboogie liked this

By Andy McDandy
Small wins (AKA continuation of what we had before) are being trumpeted as Brexit victories.

I honestly think that we would have been better off just telling everyone we had left, and quietly pay the subs under the counter.

By crabcakes_windermere
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:55 pm
There will be no progress until they understand and accept that other people are cleverer and better informed than they are. It has to happen.
I have a slightly different take. There will be no progress with some until they understand and accept they have been outwitted and deliberately misinformed. Cleverer is relative - you could argue Farage is cleverer as he’s got what he wanted through false information. Making the case that he’s openly used someone to get what he wants makes him that person’s enemy.

By davidjay
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:24 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:55 pm
There will be no progress until they understand and accept that other people are cleverer and better informed than they are. It has to happen.
I have a slightly different take. There will be no progress with some until they understand and accept they have been outwitted and deliberately misinformed. Cleverer is relative - you could argue Farage is cleverer as he’s got what he wanted through false information. Making the case that he’s openly used someone to get what he wants makes him that person’s enemy.
Even then they'll probably say good for him and they didn't want it anyway. There's still a significant minority of the nation who believe that whatever happens from now on is exactly what they wanted, and any bad stuff they suffer is a price worth paying,

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
I don't believe there are all that many, if any, who really would be content to suffer, even if it is genuine British sovereign suffering. The people who say they would are just blowhards who talk big on the internet. It's only a "price worth paying" if someone else is paying it. If it happened to them and theirs they'd be screeching "Not what I voted for". Especially if it isn't happening to everyone else as well.

Suffering for something so others might have it better is a form of altruism, and if Brexit has taught us anything at all it is that consideration for others is an alien concept to them.

When was the last time you saw a Brexiter take one for the team?

By davidjay
Cyclist wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:40 am
I don't believe there are all that many, if any, who really would be content to suffer, even if it is genuine British sovereign suffering. The people who say they would are just blowhards who talk big on the internet. It's only a "price worth paying" if someone else is paying it. If it happened to them and theirs they'd be screeching "Not what I voted for". Especially if it isn't happening to everyone else as well.

Suffering for something so others might have it better is a form of altruism, and if Brexit has taught us anything at all it is that consideration for others is an alien concept to them.

When was the last time you saw a Brexiter take one for the team?
I really hope that's true, but I fear that the sort who think Johnson and Farage are on the side of the little people will also believe them when they're being pissed on and told it's raining.

By Kreuzberger
But they didn't vote for rain. They were solemnly promised sunlit uplands.

And, whilst the Polski Sklep - the one between the old Radio Rentals and the Cash Converters - is still thriving, the resentment will grow. Even June Mummery was crying foul on Day One of her utopian dream.

Not annoying but unintentionally wryly amusing is […]

"Boris" Johnson

I missed this earlier. https://twitter.com/ZoeJar[…]

Matthew Goodwin

https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/135198743633[…]

Priti Patel

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/135197873623[…]