•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:05 am
Seems to be a good few people out there in defence of Mr. Livingstone today...
Your're right

https://www.theredroar.com/2018/05/ken- ... signation/

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Dan wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:04 am
Unfortunately, the mob has won and he has been hounded out.

I hope his political career is remembered for the good too.
By mob you mean people disgusted by his offensive drivel.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Dan wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:04 am
Unfortunately, the mob has won and he has been hounded out.

I hope his political career is remembered for the good too.
What, you mean like Blair's political career is remembered for the good, too?

<Yebbut IRAQ> :roll:
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
And this is the big problem with modern political discourse. One cannot take a nuanced position. One must be 110% pro or anti everything.
Zuriblue, spoonman liked this

By Boiler
I vaguely remember the brouhaha over his "fare's fair" policy: the affluent western bits of London and its suburbs being terrified - and very vocal - that it would make it easier for the impoverished eastern side to come and rob them.

It also meant London would have had transport fares comparable to other major cities in Europe, but as ever, TAX!!!

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Dan wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:50 pm
Blair conducted a war based on flawed evidence in which many people were killed.

Livingstone gave his opinion on a historical event.

"Being offended" does not trump "being killed".
Which doesn't explain why certain elements within the Labour Party think it acceptable to hurl abuse at a former PM and the MPs who served under him (including some still sitting in parliament), and to ignore every good thing that was done during that PM's terms in office (for which some of the credit must be given to that ex PM), because IRAQ. Yet these same people are now expecting us to sweep the offensive views and statements of a former boss of London under the carpet because of the good things done for London during his terms in office (for which some of the credit must go to those who served under him) because Good Stuff Done.

Why is it it not acceptable to acknowledge the good done during the Blair years while castigating Blair for the Iraq war* and, similarly, to castigate Livingston for his unacceptable views while acknowledging the good things he did?

Or should I just fuck off and join the Tories

*I was on that Stop the War March in London, as were many of my colleagues
By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
In the 80s he refused, unlike a lot of Labour MPs, to visit and laud East Germany on the grounds that someone like him over there would be locked up. He was capable of nuance and insight occasionally back then.

However, I've resented him bitterly since the Mayoral fiasco. He was clear before the nominations that he'd go independent if he didn't get the Labour nomination. I slogged for Frank Dobson and it was the most miserable election campaigning experience of my life. Getting a Frank voter was akin to being a Mormon invited in for a nice chat. The campaign also gave me a grudging respect for Dennis Skinner of all people. Not my bag politically, but he did a huge amount.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Dan wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:50 pm
Blair conducted a war based on flawed evidence in which many people were killed.

Livingstone gave his opinion on a historical event.

"Being offended" does not trump "being killed".
But what about teh warz!!!!11!!
Nigel Farage

https://twitter.com/glynmoody/status/1130182648192[…]

The Trump Presidency

Y'know, I'm warming to Curtis Stigers... https://[…]

The LibDems, generally

I condone it so much I've decided to form a coali[…]

Please don't tell the GMC. If they found out I use[…]