:grinning: 100 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
bluebellnutter wrote:Tell him if he's so happy aligning himself with Britain First and Donald Trump to knock himself out. See how properly leftie he is.
I pointed that out to him and that they have no left case like 1975 but he frothed back at me saying how dare I call him a xenophobe. Some daft old bat was asked on the news why she was voting to Leave; "it's just a feeling." I guess the perfumed candle, yoghurt weaver wing of the left are big on relying on feelings to reach conclusions as well.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Corbyn's major speech today about the referendum focused on workers' rights and how the EU protects the worker and he spent some time attacking the Tories for their attempts to dismantle those rights. It was very effective in putting a distinctive argument for remaining while distancing Labour from the Tories.

It looks like the Corbyn team are learning fast in how to manage their message for the media and the general public.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
This #londonisopen campaign looks very impressive the political and cultural message is clear. I passed City Hall and noticed the flag next to the EU flag still flying. i don't see as much as Sadiq now I'm not in the capital but his efforts not drench the city in the Brexit sewer look impressive.

Why Sadiq Khan is the most effective politician in Britain at the moment

Across the western world, iconoclastic supposed “outsiders” are taking over politics. Trump and his total disregard to the generally accepted rules about what politicians can and cannot say; Corbyn’s total disinterest in the conventions of Westminster politics, to the point of thinking his entire parliamentary party is an irrelevance; the Vote Leave campaign’s lack of shame in peddling obvious untruths.

Against this, there is one politician and one electoral result from the last year that really stands out: Sadiq Khan winning the London mayoralty. Partly this is because Sadiq won by being positive and hopeful in an era of fear mongering and anti-establishment posturing. But it is also notable because he ran a professional, what could only be deemed these days as “old school”, campaign.

But there is another reason it stands out so starkly from everything else that is happening in western politics. Sadiq Khan is a machine politician. I say that as a compliment to the guy: he understand how politics works and knows how to use the media, other politicians and business to achieve what he wants to achieve. His media team have easily been the most efficient within UK politics since he took office, and as a result he has been able to control the agenda in London in a way that no other politician has come remotely close to achieving anywhere else in Britain (I include May in that, at least so far).

Before some of you jump up and say “Justin Trudeau”, I will admit you have half a point there. But Trudeau’s victory came off the back of a decade of a very right-wing prime minister backed up by what had become an openly corrupt Canadian Conservative Party. While I would be the first to have an unkind thing to say about Boris (all right, I probably wouldn’t get there first, admittedly), there is no comparison there. They had a another “maverick” Tory backed up with a fear campaign to vote for in this year’s mayoral election. Yet the voters of London opted for the hope candidate. For the machine politician. By 14 points, no less.

The problem is, I have no idea what to take from Sadiq’s victory, i.e. how you could replicate it elsewhere within the UK political system. I do know that it is weird that having a politician who is both popular and competent is now the exception not the rule. Hopefully this is only a strange thing in the context of 2016.http://nicktyrone.com/sadiq-khan-effect ... ent-650114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By mikey mikey
Membership Days Posts
Despite my admiration for Sadiq Khan's achievements, I take the commendations from Nick Tyrone (the author of the article above) with a pinch of salt. This is the same Nick Tyrone that supported the LibDems in the last election and the Executive Director of the liberal think tank CentreForum, later becoming Chief Executive of British Influence whose co-presidents are Danny Alexander (Liberal), Kenneth Clarke (Conservative) and Peter Mandelson (Labour).

Just saying. :wink:

By Tubby Isaacs
mikey mikey wrote:Despite my admiration for Sadiq Khan's achievements, I take the commendations from Nick Tyrone (the author of the article above) with a pinch of salt. This is the same Nick Tyrone that supported the LibDems in the last election and the Executive Director of the liberal think tank CentreForum, later becoming Chief Executive of British Influence whose co-presidents are Danny Alexander (Liberal), Kenneth Clarke (Conservative) and Peter Mandelson (Labour).

Just saying. :wink:
Fair point. Center Forum is a misnomer.

The 3 EU politicians get the EU though. Could do worse than them on that issue.

By Daley Mayle
Littlejohn's brain wrote:
mattomac wrote:A Labour leader leading on the discussion about Europe.... How refreshing.
I wish Khan was Labour leader now.

This country has never had a Catholic Prime Minister so I think the electorate would struggle with voting a Muslim into No. 10. A Jew? No problem. A Welshman? At a pinch. Shariah Law and a Mosque on every street corner? Nae chance.
By mikey mikey
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:The 3 EU politicians get the EU though. Could do worse than them on that issue.
Agreed. There is every reason to welcome their support on this issue. I have to say that I am very impressed with Sadiq Khan, and also with Andy Burnham's performance recently has occluded MidStaffs very succesfully. His mayorship of Manchester is assured (fingers crossed) and I suspect both of these MPs are going to vital in reuiniting the party.
By mikey mikey
Membership Days Posts
Daley Mayle wrote:This country has never had a Catholic Prime Minister so I think the electorate would struggle with voting a Muslim into No. 10.
You're right, sadly. However, give it a decade or two, and it may one day happen.

Speaking of Catholic PMs, what's Tony up to these days?

By Daley Mayle
Burnham only came alive after the Labour leadership campaign IMO.

He showed great presence during the outcome of the Liverpool 96 Inquiry and more recently in the Mayoral hustings.

What was it with the three other Labour leadership contenders that they appeared so lacking in vision and inspiration that Corbyn became the deserved winner? And I'm speaking as one who lashed out sixty bob and voted Jezza.
Richard Littlejohn

Ooh, 'ello Stranger! As far as I can tell from An[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

I had skin in this game when I was a carer for my[…]

Matthew Goodwin

Final word on that thread never seen co-authors […]

C**t of the day

Evil Paddington rides again - worraloadacrap. ht[…]