:grinning: 100 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
D.C. Harrison wrote:A friend who works on the railways told me conductors, beyond revenue protection, are vital when things go wrong. They're supposed to (and, I gather are tested) know what to do in a number of emergency situations to ensure passenger safety.

Obviously if conductors are just there to check/produce tickets and nothing else, you can pay them less. Personally, I'd feel better knowing someone on board is trained in what to do when shit happens.
Correct, they are a conductor/guard. If the train comes to a halt in a section between stations, they have to follow a procedure to ensure safety, they also have a brake in their compartment, they ensure passenger safety, and have responsibility for the doors at station stops, and to give the right away to the driver.
By visage
Membership Days Posts
LU is considerably simpler though. A friend who works on the railways has suggested that a driver would end up overloaded at the station if he has to simultaneously look at half a dozen CCTV screens to check no passengers are stuck, while also paying attention to instructions from the signal box and/or green/red signals on the line.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Considerably busier on LU though, and the decision was taken yonks ago on the new trains. It's one thing to eg keep uneconomic pits open in remote towns with no work. It's quite another to be over manning railways in the richest part of the country. But the deal has to be right for the workforce, and I don't blame them for striking.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:Strikes can always be iffy for Labour but Khan jumps on it; "this shit happens in Tory land but not under my watch." Corbyn would tap into it if had any savvy but is too busy singing the Red Flag over a pint with Rik Wakeman from ASLEF.
I think he's too easily associated with the strikers for that to work. Livingstone tried it in opposition and it didn't really fly. Sadiq could but he might have problems on that score too. Osborne sawed off the TFL grant so money will be very tight.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Just 6 Times Sadiq Khan Was Spotted Being Fab On Public Transport http://secretldn.com/2016/12/just-6-pho ... transport/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing fab about the shots just a politician who can carry out a photo-op on a train without turning it into a story about him making a balls-up .

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
ok
“From today, I’ve frozen all TfL fares until 2020″ tweeted Sadiq Khan yesterday, linking his followers to a page on the TfL website listing fares which have been frozen. The Mayor was being misleading at best, downright untruthful at worst. The link he tweeted did not include the fares that are going up.

Buried on the TfL website is the news that daily and weekly caps are rising by an average of 2%. The price of a monthly Travelcard (zones 1&2) will rise by £2.30. Adult Day Travelcard prices have been hiked by up to 50p, Child Day Travelcard prices are going up by 30p. Travelcard season ticket prices are rising by an average of 2%, some by considerably more than that. If you’re a commuter you will likely use a Travelcard and Khan’s fake “freeze” will not apply to you.

During the mayoral election Khan promised: “Londoners won’t pay a penny more for their travel in 2020 than they do today”. In his manifesto he said he would “freeze London transport fares for four years”. The new TfL fares released yesterday confirm that these promises have been completely and utterly 100% broken. While Westminster and the media are focused on other things, Khan is getting away with Nick Clegg-level dishonesty in the capital…

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
If I remember right, the Mayor of London has no power to set the cost of travelcards.

That said, Khan could have been a bit more savvy with the wording of his promise, as he's laid himself open for the easy hit. All a learning curve, I suppose.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I've been asking Corbots why the MSM and PLP coup plotters haven't damaged Sadiq's numbers but I haven't had any interesting theories yet. Only that he is an ungrateful backstabber who got to be Mayor riding on the back of Corbyn's popularity.
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects Jan 2
London // Satisfaction with Sadiq Khan as Mayor of London:
Satisfied: 42%
Dissatisfied: 11%
(via YouGov / 19-22 Dec)

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:I've been asking Corbots why the MSM and PLP coup plotters haven't damaged Sadiq's numbers but I haven't had any interesting theories yet. Only that he is an ungrateful backstabber who got to be Mayor riding on the back of Corbyn's popularity.
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects Jan 2
London // Satisfaction with Sadiq Khan as Mayor of London:
Satisfied: 42%
Dissatisfied: 11%
(via YouGov / 19-22 Dec)
They aren't really attacking Khan, but that's not least because Khan is competent.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
There's nothing for the media to gain by attacking Khan. There's no election in London for a while, and he's reasonably popular without rocking the boat too much against their interests (they can let him be a Remoaner because London was so overwhelmingly pro they can't do their "will of the people" spiel). He's also not really in a position to actually do much on a national level, especially given the weakness at the top of Labour which they're absolutely fine and dandy with. Making him into a thing increases the likelihood Corbyn falls, which is the last thing they want.
Boris Johnson

Ripped the timetable out of his hands and shoved[…]

The Sun

THE SUN SAYS Us Brits aren’t negotiating wi[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

As if to drive home the point. I was in Cork for […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Basically the GFA is the single greatest achieveme[…]