•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
I've been impressed by McDonnell, in a way I haven't by Jeremy Corbyn. I didn't see his speech on the EU, but from the BBC account I should try to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e ... ws_central" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what we need - more of it, please!

By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The BBC go on to prove his point perfectly.
BBC assistant political editor Norman Smith said his comments were likely to be seized on by Leave campaigners who have warned of the impact of EU migration on public services.

Former work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith, a Vote Leave campaigner, has said the EU is a "force for social injustice" and benefits the "haves" over the "have nots".

He said "uncontrolled migration" from the EU drove down wages, undercutting UK workers, and increased the cost of living which, he said, hit the poorest hardest.

There was an increasing divide between "people who benefit from the immigration of cheap nannies and baristas and labourers - and people who can't find work because of uncontrolled immigration", he said.

Meanwhile, Labour's Frank Field has warned his party risks losing "a swathe" of traditional supporters to UKIP by campaigning to remain in the EU and failing to address their concerns over immigration.

The Birkenhead MP, who was welfare reform minister in Tony Blair's first government, suggested the referendum could turn out to be "the second-longest suicide note in Labour's history" - behind the manifesto that preceded its 1983 general election drubbing.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Concerns among some voters about immigration has always been the large grey quadruped in the room that Labour has ignored. This is possibly down to Labour being accused of encouraging the influx. Whether you agree with this opinion or not is immaterial, it's ingrained in a lot of voters' psyche, these include many natural Labour supporters who have seen their neighbourhoods transformed and having to fight for jobs with low wages.

Some of these changes are of course over blown by the right wing press but people aren't stupid, they have eyes to see and in a generation their townscapes have changed and local, unskilled workers struggle to compete with people who are prepared to work for less money.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
The point has to be made to those 'concerned' people. If an immigrant with little or no English, no skills and no background in the country can come and take your job you need to have a good, hard look at yourself.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:I've been impressed by McDonnell, in a way I haven't by Jeremy Corbyn. I didn't see his speech on the EU, but from the BBC account I should try to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e ... ws_central" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what we need - more of it, please!
Cameron and Osborne's apocalyptic hyperbole is the weak link in this campaign. Today Cameron warned that the head of IS wanted Brexit. McDonnell is not party political point scoring by noting the Tory Party on both sides is looking absurd.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Interesting. I'm drawn to this idea, despite the Swiss binning it.

John McDonnell: Labour taking a close look at universal basic income

Shadow chancellor says the concept of an unconditional payment to all could prepare country for robotisation of the workforce

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ass-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, this will get kippers foaming at the mouth with the usual argument.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
I believe that Gordon Brown and then Gideon looked at this idea. Rather like Universal Credit it makes perfectly good sense if a) you can make it work, and b) if the voters will accept it, given that it removes all possibility of working on the black economy, tax dodging and so forth. Expect a lot of arguments about 'liberty'.

Personally I doubt that HMRC could organise this inside a century.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
It's been bandied about for years, the Finns are looking at it very seriously. But I fear you're correct in doubting the British establishment's ability to cope with it - willingly or not - anytime soon. Still, who knows? If it's sold right it might snowball.

Edit: More upbeat last sentence.
Last edited by The Red Arrow on Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:I believe that Gordon Brown and then Gideon looked at this idea. Rather like Universal Credit it makes perfectly good sense if a) you can make it work, and b) if the voters will accept it, given that it removes all possibility of working on the black economy, tax dodging and so forth. Expect a lot of arguments about 'liberty'.

Personally I doubt that HMRC could organise this inside a century.
It costs far too much if you want to give people enough to live on, and still requires specially assessed housing and disability payments. There are still problems with undeclared work.
Jeremy Corbyn.

Children, only Chinese acrobats and western morons[…]

UKIP

To be fair, Corbynites probably also regard them a[…]

The Times

Brainy Brits come out for Brexit Let me guess[…]

Higher Education

Another disastrous idea in the offing: May warns[…]