Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 66.7 % :shit: 33.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Re Devon and Cornwall, not only did McDonnell promise electrification, but Jez also promised to open a new route from Plymouth to Exeter. This is another thing that's been looked at, and not proceeded with. I doubt he's done any work here, just seen that part of the route (the seawall at Dawlish) got shattered by a storm. It did cost the West Country economy money, but is building a new diversionary route the best use of funds for the region?

It all looks like policy led by the salience of news stories to me.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
The Dawlish avoiding line was proposed by the GWR in the 1930s but the war interrupted it and the idea was later dropped. There was an alternative route via Melton and Tavistock which by passed it but closed in the late 60s. Maybe that could be reopened as a lower cost alternative?

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
But...but...Marr tore him apart...

Brexit bombshell! Labour ready to join movement to keep Britain inside the EU
BBC host Andrew Marr tore apart John McDonnell’s claim that there is a growing cross-party movement to bring a halt to a no deal Brexit scenario.
By Joe Barnes
PUBLISHED: 10:42, Sun, Oct 15, 2017 | UPDATED: 11:00, Sun, Oct 15, 2017

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/866645 ... tive-Party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warning: Express comments below article.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Brexiters going mad on Twitter that Labour has betrayed its traditional working class voters. All 23% and falling at the last look. Many of us were wrong about Starmer's Brexit strategy being a zero per cent one that would appeal to no one and I'm still no wiser to what he's up to but now more confident to go with the flow.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
JM said that in a scenario where a no deal was being proposed by the government a cross party coalition would vote it down.

It's quite clever really, the Government is trying to play hard ball with a threat of a no deal if Johnny EU won't give into the Brexit team's demands and JM has pointed at the large mammal of the family Elephantidae in the corner of the room that would not allow it.

Anyone who has 'saboteur', 'enemy of the people' or 'Quisling' on their Brexit Bingo card will be in line for the star prize tomorrow.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
mr angry manchester wrote:The Dawlish avoiding line was proposed by the GWR in the 1930s but the war interrupted it and the idea was later dropped. There was an alternative route via Melton and Tavistock which by passed it but closed in the late 60s. Maybe that could be reopened as a lower cost alternative?
It probably wouldn't cost too much, but there's not really the demand to run trains from Exeter to Okehampton at the moment- just a Sunday service in the Summer. Tavistock isn't a very big place, nor anywhere else on the line. To avoid being a white elephant, it would need a lot of extra homes to be built there. Being a spare diversionary route probably isn't enough of an extra to make it worth building.

It's one of those though where you think, houses needed, possible rail reopening, can't we have joined up government? If Jez wants to pick up that baton...

Could be a (very) long term strategy to win the Devon and West Torridge seat too, with "citizens of nowhere" moving out of Exeter to Tavistock.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Yes, I think that focus on smaller scale local proposals might be better strategy. One which springs to mind is Colne to Skipton, only 11 miles, very little if the trackbed has been built on, a useful link between north east Lancashire and West Yorkshire and a strong local campaign behind it, called SELRAP.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Yeah that's a possible. I think again that's one where tying it up with building lots of homes could work. Maybe have light rail. That's a lot cheaper and can have more stops, so that more people will live near a stop.

There's also a SENRAP, in Northumberland, that's trying to get some new bits built.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Actually, forget the light rail nonsense, I was on my phone and couldn't remember it properly. The whole point is that it's a through route, isn't it?

I assume it would be the intention for trains to run through to Manchester. There might be some congestion somewhere further down that makes it difficult. I don't know.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Yes, it would be a through route, useful for commuting from Lancashire to the Leeds area as well as further afield. Dunno about light rail generally. I like the on street and urban running sections but I'm not convinced by converting railways into them. I used to use the Manchester to Bury line for years and the trains were more reliable and faster than the trams were after it was converted to light rail. Also, no more stops were provided so it was pretty much a downgrade really.

The newer lines, such as the Ashton and Airport ones are more in the character of light rail/ tramways and do the job better

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Yeah, I think light rail can be a pain for people going any distance. I remember finding Croydon-Wimbledon by Tramlink a chore.

One good thing with light rail is that people look on it differently to how they would a bus, so will stop using their cars. I quite like guided buses because they can go along special sections really fast, and then straight on to roads.
Labour, Generally.

Wonder if McD will get the same treatment as Thorn[…]

Euro Elections 2019

... i.e. a sharp kick to the nethers for Labo[…]

Theresa May

That's all those wanting to be the next PM can see[…]

Claire Fox

She's top of the list, sadly. Nigel Farage an[…]