Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 55.6 % ❤ 3.2 % :thumbsup: 17.1 % 😯 1.1 % :grinning: 19.3 % 🧥 1.1 % 🙏 0.5 % 😟 1.1 % :cry: 1.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Oblomov wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:58 pm
Has Starmer judged the mood of the nation right in calling for a short-term lockdown?
FTFY.

When the time arrives that people lose Nan because she got Covid but can't bury her because she's being held in a refrigerated container somewhere as once again, funerals are banned due to foolishness of those who hold the view that it is their divine right to go to the pub and get smashed nightly, people will see it as necessary.

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:32 pm
Oblomov wrote:
Has Starmer judged the mood of the nation right in calling for the circuit breaker?
The polls show support has been surprisingly high although 60 percent of Tories supporting the measures isn’t as pensioners have less to lose and are the most vulnerable. I’d expected too much fatigue and a collapse of faith to go through lockdown again. Plus a sizeable proportion of knobheads backing good ol’ Boris keeping the boozers open. Maybe I’m treating the public like an aunt who still bought me Beano albums for Christmas when I was 13. She hadn’t noticed I was now wearing big boy trousers.
I'm with Barnum (allegedly) when it comes to the public. Or possibly with Vicious, S.

By crabcakes_windermere
Oblomov wrote:
Has Starmer judged the mood of the nation right in calling for the circuit breaker?
I think it's a clever move. The evidence is there and the science is there. Johnson is now stuck - he can do it soon (and he will), in which case Starmer looks like he's ahead of the game and Johnson was dithering, or he can postpone it or do clumsy local lockdowns that can be shown to be favourable to southern Tory constituencies, let the r rate and infections and deaths rise and *then* do it, which then makes it look like Johnson was either playing politics or putting the economy before lives. Which we all know he is, but this sets a line in the sand - the further Johnson walks away from it before acting, the more callous he appears.

I also think there'd be support for "2 weeks back inside, then back to a semblance of normality again" rather than endless dribs and drabs and tweaks and adjustments. I think the real fatigue danger is from the dithering and constant changes of rules, not from wanting to avoid infection.
oboogie, Cyclist, Timbo liked this

By oboogie
youngian wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:05 pm
I'm with Barnum (allegedly) when it comes to the public. Or possibly with Vicious, S.

You’ll have to enlighten me to P.T. and Sid’s words of wisdom.
I can help you with Barnum: “Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.”

Sid I'm a bit hazy about, but I believe he said something like "The public are cunts"
youngian liked this

By davidjay
oboogie wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:21 pm
youngian wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:05 pm

You’ll have to enlighten me to P.T. and Sid’s words of wisdom.
I can help you with Barnum: “Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.”

Sid I'm a bit hazy about, but I believe he said something like "The public are cunts"
"I've met the man in the street. He's a cunt."
oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
I don't recall much about her from then. I only fairly recently heard of this astonishing effort. From 1996!

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/120 ... as-racist/
LABOUR MP Diane Abbott yesterday defended herself against charges of racism after criticising the appointment of ``blonde, blue-eyed'' Finnish nurses at her local hospital.

The black MP suggested the nurses at Homerton Hospital, Hackney, might be unfit to work in the multicultural east London borough.

Writing in her local paper, the Hackney Gazette, the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington said: ``I am sure that these young women are charming. But they are basically here to improve their English and are unlikely to give the British health service a lifetime's commitment.'''
Surprised she didn't stick in a Caroline Flint style anecdote about a Finnish nurse not understanding the phrase "spend a penny", with hilarious consequences.
US election 2020

'misallocated' is doing a lot of heavy lifting in […]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/131831500[…]

Daily Telegraph

Julie should be clearing up on the populist rentag[…]

The Trump Presidency

Ouch. END OUR NATIONAL CRISIS The Case Again[…]