•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Moving on from pork for a moment, my beef with Starmer is that he is lacking the courage to go fully anti-Brexit.

The economic analyses and the last 18 months' data are now so damning that we have gone from "on the balance of probability" to "beyond all reasonable doubt". Leaving the EU will cripple the country.

Even the half-way house of EFTA/Norway is untenable, unsupportable and cannot be afforded.

The only remaining reason for wanting to leave the EU is racism and, in financial terms alone, the country is in no position to indulge that.

Starmer is a bright man - among the best of the best - so he knows all of this and doubtless much more. He now needs find the spine to confront these uncomfortable truths.
youngian, Malcolm Armsteen, oboogie and 1 others liked this

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:23 pm
Moving on from pork for a moment, my beef with Starmer is that he is lacking the courage to go fully anti-Brexit.

The economic analyses and the last 18 months' data are now so damning that we have gone from "on the balance of probability" to "beyond all reasonable doubt". Leaving the EU will cripple the country.

Even the half-way house of EFTA/Norway is untenable, unsupportable and cannot be afforded.

The only remaining reason for wanting to leave the EU is racism and, in financial terms alone, the country is in no position to indulge that.

Starmer is a bright man - among the best of the best - so he knows all of this and doubtless much more. He now needs find the spine to confront these uncomfortable truths.
Maybe he knows that if he goes full out for Remain, he'll be sacked.

I dunno, I don't find him inspiring at all.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
He's fucking annoying, to be honest. Not because I don't like him or don't rate him. I do. Highly. But for fuck sake, man, how can you go along with this shit? Occasionally he'll pop up and bring a glimmer of hope that he's going to take a stand, then he's back in his box again not to be heard of.

I can only assume that while he's confident in his ability to take the step up he doesn't think he can overthrow Corbyn/his supporters. Either that or he is just happy to pander to his boss even though he fundamentally disagrees with the direction the party is going. In which case, he's disappointingly cowardly.

(On crackling - I remember reading Crackling Day at school. At the time, it didn't really register. In hindsight, it was a great choice for the curriculum and I hope it's still used in schools.)
Kreuzberger, Catkins liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Starmer has built up a lot of stock across the party and is rated by the Corbyn faithful for his loyalty and although they would never admit it having stature up against the Tories that Corbyn's deadbeat pals lack. He only gets one shot if he wants to challenge Corbyn and there has been no right time so far. My main gripe with Keir is hasn't put himself about to look like a leader in waiting he's a very affable everyman in person but has never dropped the stiff dull but worthy persona in the media.
Timbo liked this

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
There is a culture of fear in Labour sown by Momentum that anyone who dares suggest the Dear Leader isn't doing the correct thing at all times is immediately sacked, hounded and there are demands for their deselection

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Keir Starmer‏Verified account @Keir_Starmer

Always great to cross back into my Holborn & St Pancras constituency. Tonight on the Eurostar back from two days of intense but encouraging political meetings in Paris.
2:57 PM - 8 Feb 2018

Katatonic Kier's entire Twitter output for 2 days there.

Response to government shitshow is "been to Paris for meetings".

By Abernathy
Kreuzberger wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:17 pm
With the en marche crowd? The wording stongly hints to that.

Hmmm. That is very interesting. Very interesting.

By bluebellnutter
Not for the first time, it seems yon Keir is one of the few on the front bench who knows what he's talking about

Can't wait until he's the leader

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Some people reckon Corbyn has been playing the long game on Brexit and letting the Tories hang themselves. He very clearly hasn't.

The truth is, Starmer is the one playing the long game on Brexit - but also on Corbyn. He's kept the boss and the Corbynite faithful happy enough with his loyalty that they'd vote for him if the great leader has to resign because he becomes a liability (say, over antisemitism issues, for an example plucked entirely out of thin air), and he's genuinely caused the Tories trouble.
youngian, Malcolm Armsteen, oboogie and 1 others liked this
Euro Elections 2019

Anti-Brexit parties - those in favour of another[…]

Labour, Generally.

It’s OK everyone, apparently it’s Tom […]

Theresa May

That's all those wanting to be the next PM can see[…]

Claire Fox

She's top of the list, sadly. Nigel Farage an[…]