•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
It's time he had a thread on him. Anyhow here he is saying members should be free to choose a leader without MPs permission.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... w#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour members should be free to choose their next leader without needing the permission of MPs, the shadow fire minister Chris Williamson has said, arguing that those who oppose changing the rules are frightened of democracy.

Williamson, a strong supporter of Jeremy Corbyn, said it was looking “very, very positive” for changes to be passed at the party’s autumn conference next month to ensure candidates for the Labour leadership need only the support of 5% of MPs and MEPs instead of the current threshold of 15%.

The rule change is referred to by critics as the McDonnell amendment as it would make it easier for John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, or another candidate from the left to succeed Corbyn when the time comes.
Mate I'm opposed to this amendment because it's about rigging the system to suit your faction. Don't try to con me Chris I can see straight through you.

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Serious question: what on earth actually happened to this guy?

I've read reports that, up until around 2015, he was regarded as a reliably predictable Blairish Labour loyalist. I think I'm even right in saying he expressed support for the Iraq war back in the day. And yet nowadays, he's been blown so far out the other end even Corbyn and his supporters regard him as an unhelpful nuisance.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Arrowhead wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:26 am
Serious question: what on earth actually happened to this guy?

I've read reports that, up until around 2015, he was regarded as a reliably predictable Blairish Labour loyalist. I think I'm even right in saying he expressed support for the Iraq war back in the day. And yet nowadays, he's been blown so far out the other end even Corbyn and his supporters regard him as an unhelpful nuisance.
I reckon what happened is this: he was a reliably predictable nobody who didn't have to think for himself or do anything too tricky and chugged along. Now, he's a massively unreliable somebody who still doesn't have to think for himself but is now blindly following the cult of JC. He has people - deluded people, but people nonetheless - chant his name. He has campaigns for him. He has a sense of power after his 'big man on tour' bullies roadshow. Be a good boy like Chris and you won't be deselected. Play up, and he'll come to your town and intimidate you (or, rather, get all the local headbangers riled up and get *them* to intimidate you while he slinks off to whatever travelodge he's lurking in that night rather than being in his constituency doing anything useful).

Look at the glee on his face in the Brighton photo as a load of fuckwits (and their unenthusiastic kids) cheer him - an MP suspended for bigotry - on. Because it's an OK form of bigotry for them (thanks for the signals, Jeremy!), and he's probably too fucking dense to realise and clearly enjoying his time in the limelight too much to care.

Ironically, Williamson is the sort of principle-free, self-promoting nasty little egotist suck-up Corbyn's fanclub think Jess Phillips is.
Arrowhead liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
mattomac wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:44 pm
He isn't being no platformed.

Those organisations who put the event on are rightly in my view dissociating themselves with an anti-semite.
I'm sure they were put under pressure to refuse his booking. I think that ought to happen rarely and for worse people than Williamson.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:06 pm
mattomac wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:44 pm
He isn't being no platformed.

Those organisations who put the event on are rightly in my view dissociating themselves with an anti-semite.
I'm sure they were put under pressure to refuse his booking. I think that ought to happen rarely and for worse people than Williamson.
No, no and thrice no. Antisemites do not deserve the privilege of forcing venues to host their rallies. The venues are exercising their perfectly legitimate choice. In a democratic society.

Are there people worse than antisemites? Please enumerate.

Should venues be forced to host rallies for people with whom they disagree on matters of great principle? If so, please show working.
lord_kobel liked this
By Andy McDandy
Theres an anecdote by Stephen Fry about him asking a famous screenwriter what a very famous film star was like in person.

"Put it this way. Imagine nobody told you no for 25 years" came the reply.

That's the issue with some MPs. Surrounded by people telling them what they want to hear, because the hangers-on (researchers etc) depend on the MP being happy with them, and kept in the limelight.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Just picked at random from a BBC SYB: Screenshot[…]

Surely not? Is this "Fake Noos"? https:[…]

Aaron Bastani

Next time I pop into Waterstones I might want to t[…]

David Cameron

Whilst the original Guardian editorial was rather […]