Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 77.2 % ❤ 1.8 % :grinning: 12.3 % 🧥 1.8 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 1.8 % :shit: 3.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
#566120
She's my local MP. Not sure of any issues with her local performance.

However I'd doubt the cultists are going after her because of her religion or heritage. More because she's not one of them.
#566135
Why do I need to justify it? It's down to her CLP if they have no confidence in her. Presumably the only reason anyone could want shot of her is because of anti semitism? Not because she's a bit right wing and the party has moved left?
#566137
So currently the Labour Party is looking to deselect a Jewish woman MP, a black MP and another female MP known for working for women’s rights, all because they aren’t sufficient forelock tuggers to a man who was unswervingly unloyal for decades who could end it all by saying these 3 MPs may have differences of opinion but he values their work and Labour is a broad church. But of course that would require him to actually follow up on the speeches he gives about how open and tolerant he is.

Really good look for the party. REALLY good look.
Timbo, lord_kobel, bluebellnutter and 6 others liked this
#566179
Owen Jones is an utter shit,

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... CMP=twt_gu
If any Labour member did want to expel Berger because she has spoken out about the antisemitic abuse directed against her, that would be despicable. In any case, Labour members in her constituency – however they vote in the no confidence vote – should passionately denounce the antisemitism she has suffered and express solidarity on that count without reservation. Despite their other justifiable grievances, they should also consider the optics of the situation.

That isn’t to say someone who is the victim of abuse should not be criticised. I confess, dear reader, that I have one or two critics out there: I would never argue that I should be immune from scrutiny because I receive homophobia and death threats every day, or because I have been repeatedly chased by far-right activists yelling things such as “Jonesy is a homo” and spitting down my neck while trying to punch me. That would be absurd.

How local party members express their democratic decisions is their own choice: it should be their right to decide which candidate best reflects their values and aspirations. But a decent approach would surely be for Berger’s party members – and indeed all of us – to show solidarity against Berger’s antisemitic harassment (which we should do whether Berger is in Labour ot not), and for Berger to commit to not join a new party and thereby attempt to destroy her own party. Is that not reasonable?
#566180
Yes, imagine suggesting that an MP shouldn't be threatening to leave their party. Imagine having the bloody nerve to imply that if she wants to leave and form a new centrist met party, she shouldn't still be in the Labour party? The sheer anti-semitic cheek of her CLP!

It's really interesting how Umunna, Berger etc are being romanticised as being harassed out of their party by the intolerant left. The reality, that they're careerists who can see which way the wind is turning and know they're going to be evicted soon, is far less sympathetic.
By visage
Membership Days Posts
#566181
Its as bad as under Blair, when MPs who disagreed with the leadership were routinely deselected.

WAIT....URGENT CORRECTION.

No, the opposite of that.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... pport-plan

Why could Blair tolerate Corbyn but Corbyn cant tolerate Berger?
Catkins liked this
By visage
Membership Days Posts
#566182
Winegums wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:08 pm
Yes, imagine suggesting that an MP shouldn't be threatening to leave their party. Imagine having the bloody nerve to imply that if she wants to leave and form a new centrist met party, she shouldn't still be in the Labour party? The sheer anti-semitic cheek of her CLP!

It's really interesting how Umunna, Berger etc are being romanticised as being harassed out of their party by the intolerant left. The reality, that they're careerists who can see which way the wind is turning and know they're going to be evicted soon, is far less sympathetic.
Surely if they were careerists they'd want to be fully on board with Jezzas Magic Walk To Glory?
oboogie liked this
#566184
visage wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:11 pm
Its as bad as under Blair, when MPs who disagreed with the leadership were routinely deselected.

WAIT....URGENT CORRECTION.

No, the opposite of that.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... pport-plan

Why could Blair tolerate Corbyn but Corbyn cant tolerate Berger?
Because Corbyn doesn't have even half the decency and strength of character of T Blair esq?
#566185
Is refusing to say whether you might possibly consider leaving the Labour Party to join a new party really the same as "threatening to leave" the party?

Seems a bit like being asked "when did you stop beating your wife?"

Mind you, you could argue that Luciana (or Chris, or "insert name here") is really just ruling out joining a new party in much the same way that Jeremy is keeping the option of campaigning for a people's vote in line with the conference resolution "on the table".
#566187
Winegums wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:08 pm
Yes, imagine suggesting that an MP shouldn't be threatening to leave their party. Imagine having the bloody nerve to imply that if she wants to leave and form a new centrist met party, she shouldn't still be in the Labour party? The sheer anti-semitic cheek of her CLP!

It's really interesting how Umunna, Berger etc are being romanticised as being harassed out of their party by the intolerant left. The reality, that they're careerists who can see which way the wind is turning and know they're going to be evicted soon, is far less sympathetic.
Can you point me in the direction of where Jess Phillips, to name but one, has said she's thinking of leaving the Labour party?
#566188
I think Berger's overstepped the mark and I can see why the CLP might be annoyed. But after the last letter, somebody from the leadership ought to have got on the phone to them and said "You realise how this looks? Take it easy, eh?" For one thing if she's leaving anyway, as lots of people think, why be seen to have pushed her out?
#566189
Abernathy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:27 pm
Is refusing to say whether you might possibly consider leaving the Labour Party to join a new party really the same as "threatening to leave" the party?

Seems a bit like being asked "when did you stop beating your wife?"
No, it's not? If you say "no" then that's the end of it. If you then subsequently weasel off to form Centrification whatever then you're a liar. If you say "yes" then everyone knows you're planning to leave. It's not a trap in any way.

#566192
visage wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:11 pm
Why could Blair tolerate Corbyn but Corbyn cant tolerate Berger?
It's a toughie this one. I mean both were election winners who united their party and turned them from the doldrums to win a smashing victory at a General Election against a hopelessly divided Government led by someone universally disliked.

Wait, hang on, I've done it too now haven't I? Only one of them has done that.
#566194
Winegums wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:33 pm
If you say "no" then that's the end of it.

Ahhh - the "Jeremy Corbyn" example. As in "Mr Corbyn, which way did you vote in the EU referendum?" "Why, I voted to Le - I mean, Remain, of course."
  • 1
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • 32
  • 33
  • 79
That Time Of Year Again.... (Two)

You can almost sense the disappointment in the ton[…]

The Trump Presidency

Post-Obama was always going to be a dip, as he was[…]

Boris Johnson

And I've no doubt that Mutti is speaking for all o[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Corbyn’s liberationist politics are not hard[…]