Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 37.7 % ❤ 2.3 % :thumbsup: 16.2 % 😯 3.8 % :grinning: 29.2 % 🧥 3.8 % 🙏 4.6 % 😟 1.5 % :cry: 0.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Might be a bit premature with this, but Corbyn should, hopefully, be on his way out before long. Who do you think would be a good choice to try and start the long road back?

I think he/she needs the following qualities:

A likeability factor
Not shed loads of old fashioned lefty baggage
Understands and effectively uses social media to counteract propaganda from the Scum/Heil
Pragmatic over policies and who/when they pick fights with
Palatable to business/The City
A dirty side so they can win fights
Distances themselves a bit from extremist fringe types/organizations
Good oratory skills

I'm thinking Starmer maybe, I like Andy Burnham too, but he's busy as Greater Manchester mayor. I have heard Rebecca Long Bailey mentioned but think she's a bit too much at the Corbyn end (would mind!)

Thoughts comrades
Arrowhead liked this
In terms of the next permanent leader, as well as possessing proven political competence ideally it should be somebody who is a) female, b) reasonably young, and c) currently represents a Midlands, Welsh or Northern seat, with one eye on winning back at least some of those "red wall" seats lost to the Tories the other night. Which leaves us with, in all likelihood, one from Rebecca Long-Bailey, Jess Phillips, Angela Rayner or Lisa Nandy.

Rayner would get my vote, she's one of Labour's best communicators and would already appeal to a significant proportion of the more Corbynish party members by being able to point to her time as a shadow cabinet loyalist. Phillips and Nandy don't realistically stand a chance with those same members, whereas Long-Bailey appears to me to be merely quietly competent, but nothing more.
Last edited by Arrowhead on Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Abernathy liked this
I'm moving away from Starmer as leader and gravitating towards Jess Phillips. We know she has a gift of the gab but has intelligence and empathy behind her. She's not afraid to look working class constituents in the face and tell them that Brexit's a crock and they respect her clarity because she already has credibility. Johnson will probably prove her right so I'd rather be Jess than Andy Burnham or Lisa Nandy in 2024.

At the end of the day I'll go with whoever the public are most likely to elect. A leader is the party's passport to power not a reflection of my personal wish fulfilment.
Last edited by youngian on Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oboogie, Abernathy liked this
Starmer. He's got the debating skills, the ability to forensically tear into the government, no pre-2010 baggage, and to my knowledge no embarrassing dirt.

Might be a bit too metrosexual, but face it, whoever is leader will get slagged off for not being something else.

Rayner and Phillips connect well with people, and let's face it, are a bit sexy. They need high profile posts.
Timbo, oboogie liked this
Andy McDandy wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:18 pm
Starmer. He's got the debating skills, the ability to forensically tear into the government, no pre-2010 baggage, and to my knowledge no embarrassing dirt.

Might be a bit too metrosexual, but face it, whoever is leader will get slagged off for not being something else.
Starmer's also a working class boy made good like his close mate Sadiq Khan. And like Khan he needs to get out there and introduce himself before his opponents do it for him. He's been a lefty yooman rites lawyer* like Sadiq but the rest is easy as he was also the state attorney. How many villians and nonces have Tony Gallagher or Geordie Grieg taken off the streets in their miserable worthless careers?

* Who opposed the alleged legality of the Iraq war which will stand him in good stead in a leadership election.
oboogie liked this
It will be someone like Long-Bailey, because the incumbent is clearly trying to rig the process. This is the real Corbyn. No responsibility for what has gone wrong, and now no desire to let anyone put anything right when there’s a chance of ensuring the same mistakes can be made again by someone deemed worthy.

Timbo, oboogie liked this
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:12 pm
It will be someone like Long-Bailey, because the incumbent is clearly trying to rig the process. This is the real Corbyn. No responsibility for what has gone wrong, and now no desire to let anyone put anything right when there’s a chance of ensuring the same mistakes can be made again by someone deemed worthy.

I just kewn it I fucking knew it, their going to rig it so that Long-Bailey and Burgon win and run us into the ground even more. Fuck them and all who voted and continue to support him.
mr angry manchester wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:33 pm
Long Bailey has that mucky secretary look. Might attract a few votes from the MMs#

#Masturbating Masses :lol:
Possibly so until she opens her mouth and has the self same effect of everyone leaving the room, pulling down the shutters and turning the lights off.

They say that brains are the new tits. If this is even half-true, Jess Phillips is on a par with Oti Mabuse and keir Starmer is Wendy-o-Williams on a night off.
oboogie liked this
youngian wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:19 pm
Jess Phillips is on a par with Oti Mabuse and keir Starmer is Wendy-o-Williams on a night off.

I know who Wendy O Williams is and looked up Oti Mabuse (Strictly dancer) but I don't get that one.
Kreuz is saying that Jess Phillips and Keir Starmer have a massive pair of brains.
youngian liked this

The producers of Question Time have a lot to ans[…]

Labour, Generally.

LAB have 42% but yeah.

Re Dacre

Noticed the thread bump and thought for a minute t[…]

US election 2020

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. We've tou[…]