Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 37.7 % ❤ 2.3 % :thumbsup: 16.2 % 😯 3.8 % :grinning: 29.2 % 🧥 3.8 % 🙏 4.6 % 😟 1.5 % :cry: 0.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:38 pm
I never thought I'd see the day this would happen.
Well, you have seen it happen.

Wonderful, ain't it. :D
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:40 pm
Reports that Owen Jones is suffering from whiplash after a violent u-turn.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-the-left
Good grief. I thought he’d give it a day or so, but that’s staggering.

Wonder what the drafts he obviously had for RLB and Nandy said?
Boiler, Oblomov, Catkins liked this
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:31 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:40 pm
Reports that Owen Jones is suffering from whiplash after a violent u-turn.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-the-left
Good grief. I thought he’d give it a day or so, but that’s staggering.

Wonder what the drafts he obviously had for RLB and Nandy said?
Probably the same with him/he replaced.
Newsthump's takes are on the money

Britain’s left has responded with anger today after the Labour party chose a leader who actual voters might like, instead of just them.

Kier Starmer, who is described as ‘competent and capable of making difficult compromise decisions’, was elected as leader of the Labour party despite these qualifications – leading to some saying he is utterly unsuited to the role.

Starmer is understood to believe that offering people things they want, rather than just telling them what they should want, is a route to success in an electoral system like ours, but supporters of Jeremy Corbyn have already rejected that view.

“It’s not about ‘winning elections’, it’s about being right,” said Momentum supporter Poppy Grant-Williams.

“If ordinary people are too stupid to support me unreservedly in everything I say and do, then they don’t deserve help.

“The Labour Party is nothing if it doesn’t hold the electorate hostage by making it clear it won’t do anything for them unless I get everything I want.” https://newsthump.com/2020/04/04/left-w ... Y93phQTMXQ

Rebecca Long-Bailey wins the argument

There were jubilant scenes on the Corbynite wing of the Labour party after the results of the leadership election appeared to confirm that Rebecca Long-Bailey had won the argument.

“Once again, the Corbynite philosophy has triumphed,” said Simon Williams, a man on the internet who once had a passing meeting with reality.

“Rebecca Long-Bailey has clearly won the argument in the leadership contest and, despite what the results may show, it’s claiming that you won the argument that’s what counts in elections.”

The official leadership election results showed a resounding first-round overall win for Kier Starmer.

“Well, obviously the MSM is going to focus on that. They’re clearly biased against Rebecca and Corbynism and so will do everything they can to show her in a bad light by just going on about the number of votes that each candidate received.

“What Laura Kuenssberg – or ‘Tory Kuenssberg’ as I call her – what she and her friends in the media need to realise is that elections aren’t just about counting up the number of votes each candidate received and naming the winner based on who has the most, they’re also about who won the argument.

“And that was definitely Rebecca Long-Bailey.

“So, I think it’s clear that Corbynism, after winning the argument in the General Election, and then again in this leadership election has shown that it remains the dominant force in British Politics.”

Mr Williams did concede that, regarding the Deputy Leadership election, Richard Bergen failed to win the argument.

“No, he was shit.” https://newsthump.com/2020/04/04/left-w ... Y93phQTMXQ
Cyclist, Arrowhead, mattomac and 1 others liked this
Oddly enough for all the narrative about how RLB will place her in a position to go next time, Rosena Alli-Khan has been the one who seems now the most likely.

A good shadow brief awaits in my view. As for the Corbynite MPs some will stew but most will get behind Starmer as most of them were Union appointments and most of the main Union's wouldn't put up with any shenanigans. The likes of GMB and Unison seemed fed up with Corbyn 3 years ago and only one area of GMB seemed Corbynite from last years conference. Naturally some will do it anyhow, there are plenty of hard left labour Mps who popped up again under Tony Blair's leadership.

Interesting enough some of them nominated Starmer anyway including our only gain in 2019 the Wandsworth MP.

As for the Corbynites , I'm really not sure what basis in reality they have for suggesting this is the choice the Tories want, Starmer will appoint a broad shadow cabinet which will reflect talent as opposed to Johnson's Brexit brigade.

As for Starmer's speech and first interview he has nailed it, he already looks like the leader the nation needs.
Arrowhead liked this

By Boiler
"Don't politicise this", they will cry.

The big problem as I see it is that Starmer is perceived as dull by some: a manager rather than a leader. Idiots love 'characters' and that's why we have Johnson. No matter how forensic Sir Keir may be (he must have been to get where he did), it won't cut it in the poxy pantomime of PMQs.
That's all fine when the country is plowing along..... It's not, we are likely to face a global recession after this with cuts everywhere, not to mention we aren't even clear of the impact of this disease.

I'm sad but clapping doesn't seem to be working anymore in keeping up the spirits of the NHS, clowns are fine when there is no crisis but Johnson faces several crisis and would be willing to plough the country into a further one potentially in the midst of a recession (Brexit).

There is no upswing from any of this.
Boiler wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:08 am
"Don't politicise this", they will cry.

The big problem as I see it is that Starmer is perceived as dull by some: a manager rather than a leader. Idiots love 'characters' and that's why we have Johnson. No matter how forensic Sir Keir may be (he must have been to get where he did), it won't cut it in the poxy pantomime of PMQs.

Johnson keeps his head down until everyone can come out and he'll be back on top with some Boris jolly japery. But I wouldn't have put money of Starmer winning the Labour leadership this time last year. If Labour members can put their big boy trousers on and stop fucking around with amateurs and populist chancers there's hope other parts of the electorate may follow suit.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
If Starmer is seen as a manager rather than a leader he's still one up on Corbyn, who was neither, and was seen as neither. And I suspect a lot of people will take a "dull" Starmer over a Corbyn who was interesting for the wrong reasons - people watched with bated breath to see what he would fuck up next.
lord_kobel, Oblomov liked this

By Boiler
I've said this before: this is a re-run of the GE campaign where Johnson was kept away to avoid him putting his foot in it. But yes, he'll come back for jolly japes, organise a ticker-tape parade for NHS staff down The Mall and it'll be back to "good ol' Boris!" again :(
But yes, he'll come back for jolly japes, organise a ticker-tape parade for NHS staff down The Mall and it'll be back to "good ol' Boris!" again

I'm going 50:50. The other 50 for the Johnson premiership being such an unprecedented clusterfuck he gets found out by dimwits who vote for him with enthusiasm.
Labour, Generally.

Lugubrious Len is now super-forecasting that casti[…]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

Good thread to read on Corbyn's motivation: https[…]

The Biased BBC

If any of the staff they're blocking from going […]

The Tories, Generally

http://smileys.smilchat.net/smiley/grumpy/malade/[…]