•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
It’s his inability to resist that’s the worst. He just has to get in his little dig and his little wink.

It’s “left-wing virtue signalling”. Only unlike when the term is used pejoratively by right-wingers to try and dismiss people bringing attention to genuine good causes, here there’s no virtue, it’s entirely meant to send a signal and nothing else, and it actually *is* contemptuous.
Timbo liked this

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's reminding me a bit of Michael Moore; well-meanng but sees everything in black and white so he can't resist putting a couple of easily-debunkable claims into every film, which can be used against him and damages his credibility.

By Oblomov
Anecdotal so bury it with salt but I met with a sports chum today, he told me one of his friends is a civil servant that was in charge of briefing the commons about the workings of the furlough scheme and Saint Jeremy was easily the most difficult politician to brief (for a multitude of reasons).

By Oblomov
Unfortunately my sieve brain is already failing to recall most of it but his eyes glazed over at the in depth mechanics of it, and finally understanding it (after multiple attempts) he was apparently huffy that the money was going to workers via their (private corporation) employers rather than paid directly into people's bank accounts.

By Oblomov
"To call him distinctly unimpressive would be generous" as the acquaintance of an acquaintance put it.
Worked with a few councillors like that over the years. "But look, what I don't get is...", before reframing the question in an umpteenth way. Yes, you do get it, you just don't like the answer.

By Catkins
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Unfortunately my sieve brain is already failing to recall most of it but his eyes glazed over at the in depth mechanics of it, and finally understanding it (after multiple attempts) he was apparently huffy that the money was going to workers via their (private corporation) employers rather than paid directly into people's bank accounts.
I'm actually aware of people who were just sacked at lockdown as their employers 'couldn't be bothered' to complete the admin for the furlough scheme, so yes the government scheme relied on the benevolence or otherwise of the bosses to do right by the workers. However I suspect that Jeremy just had a knee-jerk reaction rather than any detailed critique of the scheme's weaknesses.
The Trump Presidency

Adolph is an eccentric and frequently horribly of[…]

The Tories, Generally

Scum is too good for them.

Marina Hyde - woman of fire

Only this government could miss the open goal of […]

US election 2020

Good stuff here about the implications of down bal[…]