Discussion of other UK political parties
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
I think Sturgeon's overreaching. May will be able to look above the fray while the Scottish referendum goes on, while the SNP are banging on about independence. What if she pulls a Customs Union out of her arse late in the day? Ruth Davidson kills Sturgeon for telling everyone we're coming out of our biggest market, when we aren't. And why don't you fix the fucking schools instead? etc etc.

Pensioners are 70-30 against at the moment. Not sure the pensions issue has really talked yet either.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Richard Murphy is a nasty snide bit of work. Posted with no evidence at all that the GERs are a load of rubbish fixed by devious people in Westminster.

Kevin Hague responds.

http://chokkablog.blogspot.co.uk/2017/0 ... enier.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And cops a load of rubbish from Cybernats. Nobody has gone on his blog to explain why he's wrong.

Murphy is a charlatan. I'm impressed Jez actually parted from him.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I liked his PQE idea and made a friendly suggestion that he'll have to be more politically savvy to sell it if he didn't want Andrew Neil bringing up Mugabe and Chavez. He came back like Marshall Mcluhan in Annie Hall telling me about how ignorant I was of his work.

In his defence Murphy is not a spokesman for dubious SNP stats.
Just in case some of you think by picking on Richard's tweets I'm ducking what he actually wrote in his blog, I'll quickly cover the detailed points. His is a blessedly short blog, so here's a very quick pass at some of the more obvious gaffes he made

"So forget Scottish GDP data: we just don’t know what it is."

This will come as a shock to those who believed the SNP during the independence referendum when (because of oil) they were able to say (of the then recent past): “Scotland is the 14th richest nation in the world” and "Scotland’s GDP per head is £2,300 higher than the UK as a whole”. According to Richard we can't possibly know that.
As he points out himself
if there is to be meaningful debate on this issue then the SNP have a lot of work to do to produce best possible data.
Last edited by youngian on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:I liked his PQE idea and made a friendly suggestion that he'll have to be more politically savvy to sell it if he didn't want Andrew Neil bringing up Mugabe and Chavez. He came back like Marshall Mcluhan in Annie Hall telling me about how ignorant I was of his work.
He was well out of order with Frances Coppola once too. Got a bit of an arsy reputation, I've heard.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Mhairi Hunter‏
@MhairiHunter

Tories! We're starting #Scotref campaigning in May. If you want it to go on for 4 years instead of 18 months that's up to you.
I think they'd be delighted to have you banging on about independence forever, while they're attacking you for not caring about anything else.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
Kevin O'Donnell making a very good point on twitter.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll tell you what is a democratic outrage. Completely ignoring my, and millions others No vote, and hijacking my Remain vote.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:May can't even play the right cards with Scotland how will she fair with Romania, Malta, Belguim or anywhere else? And she hasn't even held Scots workers hostage for negotiations. Or seen them stabbed, beaten, spat on and abused.
I'm in a minority of one here, but I think May might be playing the SNP reasonably well. It seemed a bit odd for her to make a point of saying the repatriated EU farm powers wouldn't be devolved. It set the SNP off, and Sturgeon duly went full on for the conference. I think she overreached.

I'd guess Ruth Davidson might have been behind that strategy, and she's smart (albeit one-dimensional). That's different from EU strategy where they don't seem to have anyone who knows about it.

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
As my friend Kevin O'Donnell put it
More
2014: 2m Scots vote No to Indy on an 84.5% turnout - Ignored
2017: Greens, elected by 6% of electorate, vote through #indyref2 - Sacrosanct
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nick Collins ‏ @proudlibtar He should eat a[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Who is that twerp who nearly lost the news? […]

The Sun

So much to enjoy there a dig at the lefty BBC for […]