Discussion of other UK political parties
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By mattomac
Membership Days Posts
#511948
And the SNP had failed to make clear what they offered to Scottish voters...

This is key in it, they are offering nothing but Indy Ref 2
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#511950
Littlejohn's brain wrote:
Arnold wrote:The young are less likely to vote Tory. A lot of abstentions in that age group would explain that.
Why were they absent in Scotland then?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alan Riddoch, a wedding photographer in his early 30s, suggested there was another reason the SNP lost: many younger people like him did not vote. He enthusiastically voted yes in the independence referendum, as did many of his friends, and backed the SNP in 2015 but this time, he felt no urge to do so.

Donald Trump’s election as US president changed the way many of his friends follow and understand politics. They now follow US television comedians such as John Oliver. It is now a spectator sport, comic and unreal.

“A lot of my friends are more political now but they don’t know what they’re looking for. I don’t know whether I’m Liberal, Labour or SNP because no one party hits every one of my buttons,” Riddoch said. And the SNP had failed to make clear what they offered to Scottish voters, he added. For him, they had lost their relevance.
Seems they decided that indyref 2 wasn't romantic.
That's one anecdote.

Let me suggest that there are 2 lines of schism for the Scottish electorate to navigate: Left Vs Right and Indy Vs Union.
There are Three main parties competing for these.
In some geographies those three are SNP, Conservative, Labour, in others Libdems replace Labour.

Historic events have placed Labour as the junior of two parties on each of the schisms.
This shouldn't be the case, but infighting, cronyism and weak leadership have made it so.


They now face "Colonel" Ruth Davidson who enjoys the full blooded support of the bulk of the print media and the 32nd Signals Regiment:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/s ... -regiment/
 
By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
#511951
How do you explain the fact that Labour gained six seats off the SNP? Could it also be that the SNP's poor record in government and there habit of blaming everyone else has caught up with them?
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#511975
Littlejohn's brain wrote:How do you explain the fact that Labour gained six seats off the SNP? Could it also be that the SNP's poor record in government and there habit of blaming everyone else has caught up with them?
Two significant parties based their campaigns on opposing Brexit: LibDems and SNP - neither hit as many seats as expected.

My posting (above) is my attempt to rationalise ScotLab finding itself in 3rd place, and the Tories beating them 2:1 in the race to claw back SNP seats.
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#511982
Why would you swing from SNP to the Tories are they among the 30 per cent of Nats who voted Leave? "If there's one thing worse than English wankers its Frogs and Krauts telling us how much fish to catch." Salmond did a remarkable job of making the SNP a big tent party but civic-minded liberal internationalism is not what attracts many people to a nationalist party.
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#511993
youngian wrote:Why would you swing from SNP to the Tories are they among the 30 per cent of Nats who voted Leave? "If there's one thing worse than English wankers its Frogs and Krauts telling us how much fish to catch." Salmond did a remarkable job of making the SNP a big tent party but civic-minded liberal internationalism is not what attracts many people to a nationalist party.
With more than two parties the swings get very complicated.
There's also the large "Did not vote" bloc who might turn out next time.

Consider the situation in England.
The Tories made many mistakes, but they followed orthodox "common sense" in two assumptions.
1. Young people would only vote in small numbers.
2. Collapsing UKIP voters would switch to Conservatives.

I wouldn't think that many of the new Conservative votes came from prior SNP voters.
I base this on the Conservative literature essentially saying "Vote Ruth Davidson - No Second Indyref".

I think the SNP also relies on orthodox thinking, and paid a similar price.
I sense slight differences in Scotland to the rest of the UK.
1. I believe - almost entirely without evidence - that the "Shy Tory Voter" effect is still at work here.
2. The Scottish Conservatives have - at least in public - advocated a more moderate programme than their MPs in Westminster (Mostly remainers, not privatisers ...).
 
By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
#512075
I wouldn't think that many of the new Conservative votes came from prior SNP voters.
I base this on the Conservative literature essentially saying "Vote Ruth Davidson - No Second Indyref".
Except there's evidence that points to exactly that.
 
By mattomac
Membership Days Posts
#513781
Vanity projects ....Bread and Circuses always the last resort of a failed government.
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#515047
mattomac wrote:Vanity projects ....Bread and Circuses always the last resort of a failed government.
There are excellent reasons why most space launches are done close to the equator.
 
By Arnold
Membership Days Posts
#515056
The picture is a flight of fantasy, but there is a lot of research being done in Scotland. And at least one small satellite completely built in Scotland has been launched.
The most I can see is tourist sub-orbital flights, if Branson ever gets his shit together.
 
By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
#516728
How about not the SNP Nicola?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-40975105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicola Sturgeon has said she wishes she could turn the clock back and change the Scottish National Party's name.
The SNP leader admitted the word "national" could be "hugely problematic" during a debate at the Edinburgh International Book Festival.
 
By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
#516737
Littlejohn's brain wrote:How about 'Not The SNP', Nicola?
FTFY
  • 1
  • 98
  • 99
  • 100
  • 101
  • 102
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

"Statistic show those with a higher education[…]

SPOTY

Yeah...the Mailites are really not happy! Supe[…]

Europe? And the Future of Britain in Europe

Do a lot of the daft gits who voted leave know tha[…]

Question Time

As if to prove your point... https://twitter.[…]