Discussion of other UK political parties
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Would you vote for the LibDems again next time around?

Yes
7
7%
No
59
61%
Probably
7
7%
Probably not
23
24%
 
By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
#510170
Simon Pegg‏ @Simon_Pegg 19 hours ago

If Vince doesn't run with the Leadership campaign slogan 'Strong and Cable' then, quite frankly, he doesn't deserve to be Lib Dem leader
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#510173
I hope it emerges Vince had an affair at some point, just so we can see the headline "Laying Cable" or "I Laid Cable"*.

Meanwhile I hope Layla Moran goes for the job 'cos I fancy her.

*Euphemism for having a big shit, m'lud.
#510175
Andy McDandy wrote:I hope it emerges Vince had an affair at some point, just so we can see the headline "Laying Cable" or "I Laid Cable"*.

Meanwhile I hope Layla Moran goes for the job 'cos I fancy her.

*Euphemism for having a big shit, m'lud.
Yes, Layla please! we need more hot party leaders, so far only Sinn Fein have one :D
 
By Lardboy
Membership Days
#510178
Andy McDandy wrote:I hope it emerges Vince had an affair at some point, just so we can see the headline "Laying Cable" or "I Laid Cable"*.

Meanwhile I hope Layla Moran goes for the job 'cos I fancy her.

*Euphemism for having a big shit, m'lud.
See: http://www.viz.co.uk/vinces-cable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Possibly one of the funniest strips I've seen in a long while. Though it's exceptionally puerile!
 
By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#510179
Andy McDandy wrote:I hope it emerges Vince had an affair at some point, just so we can see the headline "Laying Cable" or "I Laid Cable"*.

Meanwhile I hope Layla Moran goes for the job 'cos I fancy her.

*Euphemism for having a big shit, m'lud.
Or dodgy business dealings under the banner "Cable Ties"
 
By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#510180
mr angry manchester wrote:
Andy McDandy wrote:I hope it emerges Vince had an affair at some point, just so we can see the headline "Laying Cable" or "I Laid Cable"*.

Meanwhile I hope Layla Moran goes for the job 'cos I fancy her.

*Euphemism for having a big shit, m'lud.
Yes, Layla please! we need more hot party leaders, so far only Sinn Fein have one :D
You say that, but there's a twinkle in Leanne Wood's eye...
 
By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
#510305
Laura Perrins also attempted to play this "persecuted Christians" card in Question Time:





PETER OBORNE: Liberal fascism and a man hounded by moral pygmies - for being a Christian
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... gmies.html
To be absolutely honest, until yesterday I couldn’t have given two hoots whether or not Tim Farron was leader of the Liberal Democrat Party.

He led a lacklustre election campaign that failed to re-establish the Lib Dems as a political force at Westminster.

But I do believe it is nothing short of outrageous that Mr Farron felt forced to step down because of his devout Christian beliefs. Mr Farron says he could either be Lib Dem leader or a devout Christian: he did not feel it was possible to be both.

Could there be any more damning statement about the state of British political discourse?

Like many Christians, Mr Farron takes seriously Biblical injunctions against abortion and against homosexuality. It was these deeply held beliefs which brought him into conflict with members of his party, and which were ridiculed by some sections of the media during the election campaign.

‘To be a political leader — especially of a progressive, liberal party in 2017 — and to live as a committed Christian, to hold faithfully to the Bible’s teaching, has felt impossible for me,’ he said in a heartfelt statement on Wednesday.

It is clear that Mr Farron suffered some emotional turmoil during the election campaign, avoiding straight answers when pressed — or, more correctly, harangued — on gay sex and abortion.
But crucially, Mr Farron has always made clear that his views on such matters are entirely personal, and that he has never once sought to impose them on others; and I believe him.

Parliamentary convention means that he could never have imposed such views even if he had wanted to, because issues such as homosexuality, abortion and divorce are viewed as matters of personal conscience rather than of party principle.

But that is not good enough for Mr Farron’s critics.

In the words of the comedian David Baddiel, Farron is ‘a fundamentalist Christian homophobe’. In other words, beneath contempt. A lower form of life. Worthless.

Mr Farron felt his life had been made unbearable. ‘... I seem to be the subject of suspicion because of what I believe and who my faith is in,’ he said.

In other words, he has been driven out of public life by political correctness.

This is a matter of grave concern that goes right to the heart of public debate in Britain. It is the latest example of a malign modern trend that has been labelled by some as a ‘liberal fascism’ — though I prefer the term ‘liberal intolerance’.

Liberal intolerance means that in modern Britain you have perfect freedom to think what you like — as long as you agree with those who know best, that small ruling elite, every member of which shares the same fashion-able, metropolitan views.

Writing in The Catholic Herald newspaper, the religious commentator Peter Williams noted that Mr Farron would have been perfectly acceptable if he had agreed to be a ‘revisionist Christian’ — someone who has abandoned some traditional teachings in favour of a more moderate and modern take — with views that were ‘indistinguishable from the metropolitan secular consensus’.

But he dared to express views outside the consensus, and was therefore to be regarded as an extremist and pariah who has to be hounded off public platforms.

We saw a telling example of this when Channel 4 News presenter Cathy Newman treated Farron as if he was a serial criminal when she interviewed him at the start of the election campaign and focused on his beliefs. In fact, Tim Farron’s only crime is to hold views shared by virtually all priests, bishops, archbishops, rabbis, imams and other religious leaders since the beginning of civilisation.

Like Farron, I am a Christian though I take a more tolerant view of homosexuality than he does, and strongly believe in gay marriage.

On abortion, which Farron views as ‘wrong’, I believe that the law needs to be reviewed as medical advances have allowed more very premature babies born below the 24-week legal abortion limit to survive.

But none of that matters. I fully accept the sincerity of Mr Farron’s views, and, above all, I believe in his right to hold them. His own party clearly doesn’t.

Farron came under pressure to stand down after Brian Paddick, a gay former Metropolitan police commander, quit as Lib Dem shadow home secretary because of his ‘leader’s views on various issues’. Yesterday, Paddick’s former front bench colleague, David Laws, who is himself gay, welcomed Farron’s resignation, declaring that ‘you cannot be a leader of a liberal party while holding fundamentally illiberal and prejudiced views which fail to respect our party’s great traditions of promoting equality for all our citizens’.

I know Mr Laws well and greatly admire him, but I am afraid it is Laws — and not Tim Farron — who fails to understand the true Liberal tradition.

Liberals believe in freedom in all its shapes and sizes. That means free trade. Free markets. Freedom of thought. Free speech.

The modern Lib Dem Party does not believe in those freedoms. It supports state control of markets, allows only one set of politically correct opinions and is bitterly opposed to freedom of thought.

This is a terrible betrayal of the Liberal Party of old and of its famous fighters for freedom, such as the philosopher Bertrand Russell, and the Victorian statesman and four-times prime minister, William Gladstone.

These formidable men really did believe in freedom. In common with the French liberal thinker Voltaire, they might disagree with someone’s opinions but would fight to the death for his or her right to express them.

I imagine that very few modern Lib Dems can have heard of John Stuart Mill, the great 19th century philosopher, despite the fact that he was actually the founder of modern liberalism.
He had many magnificent achievements to his name, including being the first MP to call for women to get the vote.

He devoted his life to a cause that is hated by modern Lib Dems — namely, freeing the individual from the injustice and barbarism of state control.

He also fought hard for freedom of speech and thought.

His book, On Liberty, published in 1859, is one of the greatest and most influential ever published in the English language, calling as it does for all but unlimited freedom of speech. In a famous passage that has echoed down the ages, Mill maintained that it is essential that even ‘false opinion’ is heard.

Firstly, Mill pointed out, we can never be sure such opinions are false. Secondly, argument and debate keeps everyone on their toes. And thirdly, Mill held that eccentricity was greatly preferable to uniformity.

Most of all, Mill was opposed to the suppression of minority opinion. He wrote that ‘unmeasured vituperation, employed on the side of prevailing opinion, really does deter people from expressing contrary opinion, and from listening to those who express them’.

As the experience of Tim Farron shows, modern Liberal Democrats are greatly in favour of suppressing such opinions. How Mill, with his wisdom and magnificent use of language, would have cut down the intellectual and moral pygmies of today’s abject Lib Dem Party.

The truth is that Tim Farron has been a reasonably good Lib Dem leader, especially when compared with his predecessor, Nick Clegg.

Clegg used his leadership to impose a dogmatic conformity on what used to be the most diverse and freedom-loving political party in Britain.

His brand of metropolitan consensus was especially hostile to marriage and traditional family values that have always been the bedrock of the kind of robust independence that real Liberal leaders have historically supported.

He permitted vicious attacks on anyone who held views different from his, as when his environment spokesman, Ed Davey, insulted anyone who questioned conventional scientific thinking on climate change as ‘dogmatic’ and ‘blinkered’.

The Lib Dem intolerance of anything that challenges their own very narrow world view is authoritarianism at its worst.

What a wretched betrayal of everything their great party used to stand for! And what an irony that a modern political leader could get driven out just for holding Christian beliefs.


He permitted vicious attacks on anyone who held views different from his, as when his environment spokesman, Ed Davey, insulted anyone who questioned conventional scientific thinking on climate change as ‘dogmatic’ and ‘blinkered’.
:lol:

"He was nasty to climate change deniers"






The Mailites are putting their dislike for Tim aside because this is too good to pass up.

Oh, and SNOWFLAKES
cope46, Glasgow, 6 hours ago
Not a fan of Dim Tim BUT he is entitled to hold views he believes are part of his his christian values and just because the snowflake mafia in the BBC don't agree doesn't give them the right to hound him. The intolerance of the snowflake left is an affront to our so called liberal society
+63 -4
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#510311
Not liking what someone thinks is not persecution. Farron made himself a liability and should have kept his silly personal views to himself. And Oborne wouldn't be having this conversation if it was Sayeeda Warsi or Sadiq Khan coming out with this stuff.

Doesn't EU foreigner Laura Perrins know the UK has no labour shortage in right wing gobshite pundits? According to her logic, she should be packing her bags.
#510313
Might be wrong, but I think, generally, that the British, on the whole, don't really like God botherers involved in politics. Its something which, I feel, gets associated with nutty far right American types and the majority view in this country, rightly, is "keep religion out of it"
 
By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#510320
youngian wrote:Not liking what someone thinks is not persecution. Farron made himself a liability and should have kept his silly personal views to himself. And Oborne wouldn't be having this conversation if it was Sayeeda Warsi or Sadiq Khan coming out with this stuff.

Doesn't EU foreigner Laura Perrins know the UK has no labour shortage in right wing gobshite pundits? According to her logic, she should be packing her bags.
Indeed wasn't it Khan who risked who was heavily criticised by those in his constituency after he voted for gay marriage? And since his replacement has won increased majorities on both occasions.

You are a representative of your constituency, if you feel you can't separate your job from your faith then it's probably not the right job, at the very heart of the bible is love, acceptance and understanding surely that amongst anything else should hold sway.

How come gay Christians exist? it's because they have interpreted the bible to be a guide rather than a list of do's and don'ts. I certainly wouldn't run for leader of the party if you could not.
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#510323
mr angry manchester wrote:Might be wrong, but I think, generally, that the British, on the whole, don't really like God botherers involved in politics. Its something which, I feel, gets associated with nutty far right American types and the majority view in this country, rightly, is "keep religion out of it"
I think you're right.

The Likes of Theresa May and Ruth Davidson are the sort of Sunday Morning Christians that get on fine because they don't make a big thing of it.
It's an establishment tickbox for them.

I wouldn't have known Tim Farron was whatever sect he belongs to if it weren't for the press plugging away with it all the time.
  • 1
  • 266
  • 267
  • 268
  • 269
  • 270
  • 272
Sir Keir Starmer

He is probably the only reason I have optimism in[…]

Nigel Farage

One day I was at the golden lift with the POTUS at[…]

Theresa May

I think she had a mass loss on her hands, she woul[…]

The Mail's Front Page Headline

And that didn't work.....sheez