Discussion of other UK political parties
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Would you vote for the LibDems again next time around?

Yes
7%
No
61%
Probably
7%
Probably not
24%

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Danson's Forehead wrote:Can't see Cable moving them forward any. He will drown in a tide of pensioner jokes, like Ming Campbell.
I dunno. Cable looks younger than he is. Ming looked older than he was. Plus things have changed - people at the moment are fed up of young slicksters like Cameron.
Yes, electorally the trend for an older head has served Conservatives and Labour well, while LibDem and UKIP's new youthful leaders didn't deliver the expected votes.

Nobody knows Lord Buckethead's age.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Not quite a Ken Hitler gaffe from Cable as the comparison is justified.
Cable is not yet the leader of the Liberal Democrats but already his newfound political profile has experienced a moment of controversy. The veteran MP raised eyebrows in a recent interview with the New Statesman by comparing Theresa May's use of the phrase "citizens of nowhere" in her 2016 Conservative Party conference speech to Mein Kampf, the autobiography of Adolf Hitler:

"I thought that particular phrase was quite evil. It could’ve been taken out of Mein Kampf. I think that’s where it came from, wasn’t it? ‘Rootless cosmopolitans’? It was out of character for her."

Cable told BI that he did not regret using the comparison, insisting it was a "quite reasonable" thing to say.

"Well, I was simply making a statement of fact," he said. "I think the phrase 'rootless cosmopolitans' actually comes from that source. I did say in the following sentence that it was very out of character and that Theresa May is not extreme in that way and I made that very clear.

"Anyone who actually read what I said rather than the headlines would have realised that what I was saying was quite reasonable."
"Very out of character and that Theresa May not extreme in that way." Oh really?
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I don't think she's an extremist. I think she's an idiot with zero imagination who says whatever she's told will go down well with the troops.

By mattomac
Andy McDandy wrote:I don't think she's an extremist. I think she's an idiot with zero imagination who says whatever she's told will go down well with the troops.
Nah she is quite nasty, not on that scale, but her actions in the home office show what a nasty spiteful person she is, and as leader that hasn't changed.

She is now very weak which is good, considering nasty people need less power not more, thanks to the electorate.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The tales from Python land continue

Lib Dem council candidate sent Labour rival explicit photo of him dressed as mouse

A Liberal Democrat council election candidate sent an explicit picture of himself dressed as a mouse to a Labour rival.

Dean Stone is facing disciplinary action from his party after messaging the image to married mother-of-two Siobhan Strode on Facebook.

She was contesting the recent by-election in Great Torrignton, Devon, against him when she received the image.

‘I don’t even know what I thought. It is repulsive,’ Mrs Strode, from Umberleigh, Devon, said.

The 32-year-old was on a family camping trip when she was sent the picture after Mr Stone had asked her if there was ‘anything embarrassing’ in her past.

She added: ‘I am a nice person and I find it really odd that someone would send such an unsolicited image.
‘I did not in any way encourage him to send me a photograph.’

Mr Strode had also asked for her opinion on the picture but she did not indulge him and instead informed her campaign manager, James Craigie, who contacted the Liberal Democrats.
This prompted an unreserved apology from Mr Stone who admitted it was a ‘breach of acceptable boundaries of social media communication’ and committed to ‘refrain from any future similar communication’.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/02/lib-dem-c ... z4rjLFlQbY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Arrowhead
I'd noticed those results as well. A very small sample size, but genuinely impressive numbers for the Lib Dems nonetheless. Were Chesterfield and Leicestershire both areas where they had previously (i.e. pre-Coalition) already enjoyed some success?

Fingers crossed, it may be an early sign of some of the Tories younger, more liberal voters shopping elsewhere. Something which I expected to witness at the general election, but which didn't really materialise bar a handful of exceptions.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
They were getting good council by-election swings last year but mainly in Tory areas but their national percentage share of the vote is pretty static. Nearly LD target seats are now Tory so a revival would be a good thing. If they start taking Labour votes than Corbyn knows what to do to stem the tide.
Theresa May

48 letters is surely more likely after today.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/10721116455[…]

Labour, Generally.

Shami looks more unconvincing here than Barry Gard[…]

The Tories, Generally

Even Ol' Brillo Head is uncomfortable with this...[…]