•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:27 pm
On the other hand, this from 2017 was better than Labour.

It'd be good to see the scope of policy beyond just those (i.e. did Labour have broader reforms that addresses many of those "crosses"?). Either way, at that point their credibility was shot. If they want to get into power again, it's going to be a big climb given they alienated a whole new, young generation of voters with the tuition fees stuff.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
A very good point. As a smallish third party, the Lib Dems are (were?) arguably always going to be looking to coalition as a way into government, but I always regarded coalition with the Tories as beyond the pale. Yes, the Lib Dems took a disastrous wrong turn when Clegg was tempted into coalition with the Tories by Cameron's blandishments, and I'm unconvinced by their arguments that it was worth it for what they achieved in return (a failed referendum on (non) PR and the pupil premium?) compared to what they had to enable the Tories to do. They suffered electoral damage from that, and deserved to, but they are recovering now solely because of their absolutely unequivocal opposition to Brexit, which clearly and unequivocally trumps any lingering shame from the bad old coalition days.
lord_kobel, Cyclist liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I'm more sympathetic than most to coalition government but the Lib Dems were mainly gay husky cover to help deflect what reactionary political operators Osborne and Cameron were. Coalitions with the Tories have always ended badly for the Libs. Not so much with Labour coalitions though.

By Arrowhead
Some interesting rumours circulating this morning (Twitter, so it MUST be true) that Swinson is set to unveil a newly defected MP as a thank you present to the Lib Dem faithful for voting her in as leader. It'll almost certainly be one of the former Tory splitters, which realistically narrows it down to one of Wollaston or Allen.

By Snowflake
Really hoping it's Heidi Allen, about the only remaining member of the Independents with any real stature. It must be plain to everyone that all they are doing now is damaging the remain vote. Just leave Soubry in charge until they disappear after the next GE.

By Boiler
I understand Swinson has ruled out working with Corbyn because he's a Brexiter, so there's your coalition gone up the swannee. And with Watson now hearing the sound of circling vultures, maybe the 'sensible' wing of Labour is finished.

By bluebellnutter
Arrowhead wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:04 am
Some interesting rumours circulating this morning (Twitter, so it MUST be true) that Swinson is set to unveil a newly defected MP as a thank you present to the Lib Dem faithful for voting her in as leader. It'll almost certainly be one of the former Tory splitters, which realistically narrows it down to one of Wollaston or Allen.
Here's an out there suggestion, but what about Dominic Grieve? He's not going to be the Tory candidate next time around and would be a massive name to unveil. Don't know whether he or they would go for it but that would put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Arrowhead liked this

By bluebellnutter
Abernathy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:50 am
youngian wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:21 am
the Lib Dems were mainly gay husky cover
Eh?
I think I have both their albums up in the loft
Poppy Day bingo

It's even worse if you see the hashtags on their o[…]