•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:16 am
I don't give a flying fuck what Ed Davey was knighted for. I want rid of this disastrous government and a full accounting afterwards. If Davey gives us that, fine.
Agreed. We can doubt him, though. There's good reason to.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Lib Dems are adept at keeping on board a broader coalition of voters than the main two parties. There’s not much evidence that the LDs planting left of centre now Corbyn’s gone will produce a bun fight with Labour. Quite the opposite. Even Mrs Davey doesn’t recognise Ed Davey but Labour voters will from the Cameron years and LDs need a left of centre tactical vote to take target seats from the Tories. I don’t want to waste my time canvassing in this CLP (a growing Labour vote stuck in traditional Liberal redoubts in a sea of Tories) but marginals we need to take to win. Labour voters have warmed to Moran and so have a lot of Tories judging by her success in stealing Oxford West off them.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Layla Moran has gone quite a long way towards welcoming a Lib-Lab coalition, her conditions including a reform of the electoral system to proportional representation.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ith-labour
Successive Lib Dem leaders have ruled out coalitions with Labour or the Tories since the party’s electoral collapse following its coalition with the Conservatives under Nick Clegg, but Moran said she would not rule out such a deal with Keir Starmer. However, she suggested ending first past the post would be a prerequisite.

“I’ve absolutely ruled out a coalition with the Tories,” she said. “I would never say never [to a coalition with Labour], especially with a more centrist progressive Labour leader, as we’ve seen under Keir. We’ve still got a long way to go and I think Labour still has to revamp their own policy platform. I think top of the list of something I’d be looking for is electoral reform. Without it, actually, it would end up hurting the party potentially to do anything. So without seeing the small print, it’s hard to say one way or the other, but it’s not ruled out.”

She called on activists within the two parties to consider forming a “huge campaigning force” to help each other at the next election. She said she wanted a “Paddy plus” arrangement with Labour, in reference to the close relationship between former Lib Dem leader Paddy Ashdown and Tony Blair before the 1997 election.
oboogie liked this

By Arrowhead
Very interesting, but from a Labour GE 2024 perspective I'd still prefer a Davey win overall.

The way she's going, Moran might even be an outside bet for a rare LD>LAB switch of allegiance if Starmer continues to strengthen his position over the coming years.
oboogie liked this

By Arrowhead
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:18 pm
Why would you prefer Davey?
For the reasons we covered on the previous page of this thread. Basically, a Moran leadership is more likely to further fragment Labour’s already-fragile voter coalition, whereas a Davey leadership would potentially peel away disenchanted One Nation Tory types instead - especially if the likes of Sarah Wollaston and Sam Gyimah stay onboard.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Basically, a Moran leadership is more likely to further fragment Labour’s already-fragile voter coalition,
Little evidence of that in the Blair-Ashdown/Kennedy years where both parties gained from tactical voting through an informal electoral pact. Its not policies on trans rights and dope smoking that will prevent centre right/floating voters from giving the LDs a punt but how they perceive the Labour leader they’d be letting in No 10 through the back door. No LD activist has told me any different. LDs also need their rural dustbin vote back from Farage so a media friendly loudmouth like Moran won’t do any harm.
oboogie, Arrowhead, Timbo liked this

I gamble a bit. Not excessively, and nowhere eve[…]

Labour, Generally.

Interview with her on Channel 4 News tonight.

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Not at all. It would be painted as Stalinist be[…]

Toby Young

https://mobile.twitter.com/codward333/status/12924[…]