•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
Best news ever for the liberal centre-left. Cameron's biggest motivation in calling the referendum was to lure back the Turnip Taliban from UKIP. Could this be the beginning of a great divide in the Tory ranks?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
cycloon wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:04 pm
It's tragic how little they understand democracy given how much they invest in it.
And it would be nice if they gave a glance to the real definition of 'treason'.

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Timbo wrote:
Best news ever for the liberal centre-left. Cameron's biggest motivation in calling the referendum was to lure back the Turnip Taliban from UKIP. Could this be the beginning of a great divide in the Tory ranks?
I would be absolutely gobsmacked if any divide ultimately took away more than a couple of elderly backbench Tory MPs from the shires. They might bluster and splutter and talk about betrayal, but ultimately their greatest loyalty is to themselves, and they like being in power. That's why they're Tories.
youngian liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
davidjay wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:45 pm
Timbo wrote:
I would be absolutely gobsmacked if any divide ultimately took away more than a couple of elderly backbench Tory MPs from the shires. They might bluster and splutter and talk about betrayal, but ultimately their greatest loyalty is to themselves, and they like being in power. That's why they're Tories.

History bears you out. The two Kipper defections, Sean Woodward and a Norfolk MP who defected to the SDP in the 80s are the only ones I can think of in the past 40 years.

Farage's fanbase will probably vote UKIP by mistake and his party goes the way of Kilroy-Silk's or Dr Death. Although Nige isn't the Kipper David Owen. That's David Owen.

By MisterMuncher
I disagree. Nigel will Herbert West* his way through any failures of Brexit by claiming it wasn't entire and pure enough, there's still some European involvement and those bloody remoaners are talking Britain down.

Whilst warming his decrepitating carcass in the Caymans, loaded stupid from shorting Great British Sterling. Because cunts like him already and always have their arse in a chair when the music stops

*My reference point to someone engaged an essentially wrong-headed course of action, yet finding various reasons why it keeps failing external to that wrong-headedness. From "Herbert West: Reanimator", a piece of yellow prose by a colonial cove by the name of Howard Phillips Lovecraft, m'lud)
Timbo liked this

By Biggus Robbus
MisterMuncher wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:26 pm
Nigel will Herbert West* his way through any failures of Brexit by claiming it wasn't entire and pure enough
Exactly. Which is why he does not want no deal Brexit to occur.

He can claim the elitist political class has robbed the people.

Farage is pure cancer to the UK being a stable and prosperous country. He is self serving.

By MisterMuncher
I think you misunderstand me. It won't matter how objectively total Brexit is. Any failures and hardship will be due to some external factor, be it a lack of will from Britain to get on with it, or some cold, dead hand of Europe still weighing down Britain. Probably with a smattering of "deep state", which is very á la mode this weather (and a great way to "explain" why people who have measurable competence and knowledge disagree with you) or similar such bollocks. It doesn't have to be true or plausible to anyone rational: Nigel isn't playing for you. His audience are the embittered and failed, who need someone to blame.

In the unlikely event that this bullshit isn't working for his bovine constituency, expect him to revert to blaming enemies within, starting with settled EU citizens, then those from further afield, then the lefties. It's a well thumbed playbook. Originally in Spanish, later in Italian and German.

By Biggus Robbus
To be fair I think you made a helluva point (and actually continue to make great points).

I suppose the argument is something we will never know.

What is Farage's preference? A no deal Brexit or power?

I guess he could want both but no deal Brexit will make his life harder. He will have to shift his tactics to something like the remaining elite are to blame to for the failure of Brexit to succeed for the people who voted leave.

By MisterMuncher
Nigel has no intention of being in power. He must be sufficiently self aware to know UKIP will almost certainly not be forming a government any time soon, and eventually the continuous electoral rejection he's received has sunk in.

Why bother when you can dictate to the government without any responsibility, and be able to walk away free and clear of the blowback?
The Independent Group

Yes. People can judge for themselves if they lik[…]

C**t of the day

That is going beyond c**t. "Squire" is a[…]

Theresa May

Mutterings as well that all opposition leaders a[…]

The Brexit Party

Good choice for a sounding board. If anybody woul[…]