•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Biggus Robbus
MisterMuncher wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:36 pm
Why bother when you can dictate to the government without any responsibility, and be able to walk away free and clear of the blowback?
Which is a power of sorts....However a very shitty approach to achieving power.

It is easier for him to sneer from the sidelines. UKIP is redundant as long as Farage can pull the Tories' strings.

By Biggus Robbus
Watching this whole mess from the other side of the Atlantic has been a bizarre experience, even after Trump was sworn in.

After Trump caved to Pelosi I get the feeling the US turned a corner. Pelosi is an establishment politician who held her nerve and won.

I wish you guys had someone with courage in charge right now. When you are scared by the "will of the people" it paralyses politics.

You deserve better to have a total piece of shit like Farage creating chaos.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Biggus Robbus wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:15 pm
To be fair I think you made a helluva point (and actually continue to make great points).

I suppose the argument is something we will never know.

What is Farage's preference? A no deal Brexit or power?

I guess he could want both but no deal Brexit will make his life harder. He will have to shift his tactics to something like the remaining elite are to blame to for the failure of Brexit to succeed for the people who voted leave.
Power involves doing some work.

Nigel wants maximum money for minimal effort.

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
To be fair about this recent nonsense narrative that has cropped up after Jon Humphreys' question on R4, he didn't actually suggest the republic rejoining the UK, simply leaving the EU. Shame on the Guardian for deliberately misreporting it as such, which seems to have led to 'potato famine' bullshit cropping up all over the internet, pitting hard-of-thinking people from both nations against each other.

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
From discussions with a very long-standing maritime lawyer who claims to understand such things, the current approach to the GFA border issue actually means that should the withdrawal agreement be settled in the current form, any future collapse of the customs area (due to, for example, Eurozone collapse, spotty far-right insurgencies or any of the other possible fires currently smouldering), then the RoI would be legally obligated to adopt the UK's trade policy in full, and on an ongoing basis with no right of input into it. I suspect that is just one of many weird and unconsidered side effects of this whole mess, which we are likely to be seeing crop up for decades to come.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Still though, with Irish friends reporting being told that "you're not really foreigners" (although to be fair, anyone white from an English speaking country gets that), it didn't do much to refute the idea that we brits still see the republic of Ireland as "ours".

Although Humphrys could have just been chasing controversy and the water cooler moment.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Nevertheless regarding who is asking the question, with >90% of Irish people indicating that they are happy for their country to continue being in the EU, any serious journalist whom is interviewing an Irish government rep that asks them wherever the Republic of Ireland should leave the bloc given the current state of Brexit needs to strongly qualify that question with good research, otherwise they set themselves off as being unbelievably ignorant and/or going full Little Englander who struggles to believe that most of the Paddies and Micks aren't part of the UK despite that occurring almost a century ago. You may as well ask the Yanks that are anti Trump wherever they would revoke the Declaration of Independence to get his crew out of office, or ask the Poles, Czechs or the Baltic states wherever they would rather be a satellite state of Russia instead of being an EU member.

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:17 pm
Still though, with Irish friends reporting being told that "you're not really foreigners" (although to be fair, anyone white from an English speaking country gets that), it didn't do much to refute the idea that we brits still see the republic of Ireland as "ours".

Although Humphrys could have just been chasing controversy and the water cooler moment.
The scary thing is, for many that IS politics. It's only discussed in such environs, using such sound bites.

As an Englishman, I can't argue with any of that. […]

Makes me laugh the way banks like Nationwide (with[…]

The Trump Presidency

With the election just over 18 months off, the Dem[…]

Mark Francois MP

Stupidity is the achilles heel of liberal democrac[…]