•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
I remember back 18 years ago at the height of the foot & mouth crises at the time, Humphrys was on an episode of HIGNFY where the initial FMD outbreak was being discussed. He interjected that the disease wasn't normally lethal to the animals that it can infect, and that vaccinations could control the outbreak without any further problems to a smattering of applause without being challenged. On the face of it, that sounds reasonable and scientific. The problem is that had the UK responded with a vaccination program it would have fecked its livestock and meat exports for many years to come as many countries refuse to import such from countries where FMD hasn't been declared eradicated or where vaccination is deployed. And as this was happening not long after the mid 90's BSE crises, another barrier to exports wasn't sought to say the least. Anyway, after coming out with what he said in early 2001, I've refused to take John Humphreys as a legit serious journalist since.
Timbo liked this

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Nigel Farage, the former Ukip leader, is speaking now on behalf of the Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy group.

He says the chances of a no-deal Brexit have gone up. But that is not because of the vote in the Commons. It is because of what has happened in Brussels.

He says the EU made Theresa May sign up to the backstop. She had to get on a plane at 4 in the morning to go to Brussels to agree to it [in December 2017]. He says she signed up to terms that no country had signed up to except when defeated in war.

He says people in the UK never used to know anyone in the EU. But now Brexit has turned “you”, he says, into household names. And people have seen how the EU behaves.

He says people in the UK are getting so fed up that they would prefer to see a no-deal Brexit.

But that is a problem for the EU, he says. What will happen to the 100m bottle of prosecco bought by the British? And what will happen to the 750,000 German cars.
They cost more due to tarrifs?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... itics-live

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:22 pm
Having spent the last two and a half years slagging off Theresa May, Farage stood up in the European parliament to give her his support and now all his supporters are calling foul because the BBC didn't lead the six o clock news with Nigel's speech!
6 O'clock news isn't Question Time.

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
davidjay wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:35 am
And "We'll save £39 billion" becomes another lie embedded as fact. We don't pay what we owe - we never get another trade deal, ever.
I genuinely believe punitive tariffs / sanctions would be put on us in that scenario, to recover the dosh the hard way.

By Biggus Robbus
Timbo wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:53 pm
davidjay wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:35 am
And "We'll save £39 billion" becomes another lie embedded as fact. We don't pay what we owe - we never get another trade deal, ever.
I genuinely believe punitive tariffs / sanctions would be put on us in that scenario, to recover the dosh the hard way.
If Britain is deemed a rogue/pariah state then it would be sanctions. I wonder if the EU would take that to the UN?

However Trump would probably support Britain not being punished, which would lead to a shitshow on both sides of the Atlantic.

I don't think tariffs can be used for recovering those commitments as that would involve the WTO. Nothing to do with the WTO.

By Biggus Robbus
youngian wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:36 am
I believe Argentina leads the way in the belief that debt default is big and clever. The price to their people has been huge in inflation followed by austerity, junk credit rating and mass unemployment.
Argies are in a mess because of populism going back to Peron.

I am so glad we do not have issues with populism in the West.
youngian liked this
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

If we do get a free trade agreement could I push[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Whoopee. Dickhead's moved on to Game of Thrones qu[…]

Sajid Javid

"I don't want to turn you over to the mob ou[…]

Labour, Generally.

Where would Labour be now in the polls if they fol[…]