Discussion of other UK political parties
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Being led by a former journalist I expected the Greens to be more media savvy than this

http://labourlist.org/2015/02/green-par ... ving-wage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3 hrs3 hours ago
Revised @LordAshcroft outcome for December Doncast N poll
LAB 55
UKIP 25
CON 13
LD 4
GRN 2
Clearly the Greens have some Old Labour policies, but their more anti-Labour members have to face the fact at some point that they're not making very much progress in working class seats. Say what you like about the SNP, they are doing that.

A Green on another board who is particularly unpleasant about Labour made a lot of them only just beating UKIP in Haywood, and drew the conclusion Labour was too right wing. He wasn't so forthcoming on why the Greens got about 1/13 of UKIPs vote, or Labour's vote share going up, or that UKIP's vote could be accounted for entirely by falling Tory, Lib Dem and BNP votes.

The Green candidate in Redcar is senior RMT- don't know if he can make some progress. Perhaps Green candidates like him could give them some Old Labour qualities. H's ex-TUSC, so not much evidence of stardust so far. But it's surely better they have candidates like this rather than like Rupert Read.
By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3 hrs3 hours ago
Revised @LordAshcroft outcome for December Doncast N poll
LAB 55
UKIP 25
CON 13
LD 4
GRN 2
Clearly the Greens have some Old Labour policies, but their more anti-Labour members have to face the fact at some point that they're not making very much progress in working class seats. Say what you like about the SNP, they are doing that.

A Green on another board who is particularly unpleasant about Labour made a lot of them only just beating UKIP in Haywood, and drew the conclusion Labour was too right wing. He wasn't so forthcoming on why the Greens got about 1/13 of UKIPs vote, or Labour's vote share going up, or that UKIP's vote could be accounted for entirely by falling Tory, Lib Dem and BNP votes.

The Green candidate in Redcar is senior RMT- don't know if he can make some progress. Perhaps Green candidates like him could give them some Old Labour qualities. H's ex-TUSC, so not much evidence of stardust so far. But it's surely better they have candidates like this rather than like Rupert Read.
Heywood and Middleton was quite poor turnout too, it generally benefits UKIP, the polls were so out but it didn't reflect UKIP gaining votes it just suggested Labour were poor at getting the vote out, hopefully that will be different in those seats at election time.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
RMT Union President: Why I'm standing for the Greens in Redcar
2:00, 7 February 2015
By Rachel Wearmouth

Peter Pinkney, whose union has a long history with Labour, will stand for the Greens and accuses Ed Miliband's party of betraying the working class
The RMT boss also revealed the union has donated £7,000 to Caroline Lucas, the country’s only Green MP, after the Greens were supportive of plans to renationalise the railways.

Mr Pinkney said: “Labour is no longer the working class party. They have betrayed us time and time again. They should remember that it was the unions who formed the ‘party of labour’ not deny our links.

“The radical Labour Party of 1945 is long gone. No longer do they champion nationalisation, social housing, the NHS, education etc, they are a sort of reddish Conservative Party.

“In my opinion the party of the left is now the Green Party.”
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... ng-8598307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By mattomac
How does being against HS2 sit with the RMT?

Generally I'm undecided on it but I would generally expect a Trade union of railwaymen to be for it.

Edit: Apparently they are, though they want it owned by Public Ownership which is fair enough.

Anyhow doesn't everyone champion Education, what does that even mean, yes championing the NHS and Social Housing are things you can Champion, Education is a term like Health and Housing not a specific delivery of that like the NHS and Social Housing and if I'm honest Labour are championing the NHS at Westminster level (They are also stopping right to buy in Wales).

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Beleaguered useless Ed Miliband in stopping Green surge shocker.
YouGov/S Times (6/2/15) – CON 32%, LAB 33%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 8%
Opinium/Observer (6/2/15) – CON 32%, LAB 34%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 8%
Ashcroft (8/2/15) – CON 34%, LAB 31%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 14%, GRN 6%
Populus (8/2/15) – CON 33%, LAB 34%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 15%, GRN 4%
YouGov/Sun (9/2/15) – CON 34%, LAB 33%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 14%, GRN 7%
YouGov/Sun (10/2/15) – CON 33%, LAB 35%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 13%, GRN 8%
Ipsos MORI/Standard (10/2/15) – CON 34%, LAB 36%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 9%, GRN 7%
YouGov/Sun (11/2/15) – CON 32%, LAB 33%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%
YouGov/Sun (12/2/15) – CON 31%, LAB 34%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%
Populus (12/2/15) – CON 31%, LAB 34%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 14%, GRN 6%
I like quite a few Green members and I think Labour should work closely with them in local government. But like others, I think we heard a suspicious amount of stuff about their advance recently, so I don't want them to do very well in the election.

By Abernathy
Just heard Natalie Bennett's interview on LBC this morning. Talk about a car crash. Thing is, this isn't the first time that Bennett has foundered hopelessly on news media - basic stuff for a party leader.. The Greens must be thinking again about having elected her leader.
Priti Patel

FFS! https://twitter.com/damocrat/status/11536413[…]

The Brexit Party

Richard Tice is sueing Femi. Lance Foreman is on […]

He'd be worse because he's got a sense of himself […]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

It seems that establishing an independant process […]